MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

26 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Oh man, I am so glad I am not a Cubs fan right now

It could be worse. You could be a White Sox fan watching a team in the beginning stages of completely squandering a window because ownership is too chicken shit to take a risk to win a championship. At least the Cubs ownership, for all of their faults, wasn't content with 2nd place during their window. 

Should the Sox be trading guys like Vaughn/Kopech/Madrigal/Crochet/Kelley? No. But they should be using money to fill holes. And they don't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 4

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It could be worse. You could be a White Sox fan watching a team in the beginning stages of completely squandering a window because ownership is too chicken shit to take a risk to win a championship. At least the Cubs ownership, for all of their faults, wasn't content with 2nd place during their window. 

Should the Sox be trading guys like Vaughn/Kopech/Madrigal/Crochet/Kelley? No. But they should be using money to fill holes. And they don't. 

Whitesox twitter has taken over soxtalk, yay

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What if they signed Bauer?  Would you STFU?

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

What if they signed Bauer?  Would you STFU?

Yup. If Harper was patrolling RF I'd have shut up a while ago. 

I have a problem with wasting prospects on 1 year rentals(a very White Sox thing to do) and also the perpetual dumpster diving. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I choose to be excited about the Sox, who actually made the freaking playoffs last year (and should've won the division and probably the first series if it weren't for the manager, who is no longer with the team). I choose to be excited about the team actually realistically winning the division next year and doing damage in the postseason, where anything can happen.

I choose to be excited about the new pitching coach, Ethan Katz, and seeing what he can do with players like Cease and Kopech. I choose to be excited about a potential juggernaut rotation coupled with an already juggernaut lineup. And, yes, I am looking forward to seeing a new manager in the dugout, even if its not really who most of us want. And there are other things I choose to be excited about with this team.

It's all about perspective man. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I choose to be excited about the Sox, who actually made the freaking playoffs last year (and should've won the division and probably the first series if it weren't for the manager, who is no longer with the team). I choose to be excited about the team actually realistically winning the division next year and doing damage in the postseason, where anything can happen.

I choose to be excited about the new pitching coach, Ethan Katz, and seeing what he can do with players like Cease and Kopech. I choose to be excites about a potential juggernaut rotation coupled with an already juggernaut lineup. And, yes, I am looking forward to seeing a new manager in the dugout, even if its not really who most of us want. And there are other things I choose to be excited about with this team.

It's all about perspective man. 

There are plenty of reasons to be excited about the Sox, but they're not on the level of the Dodgers and Padres at least. I'd have to see what the Yankees are doing to know if they have a chance to get out of the AL. At the current time, models like the Twins to win the division even without Cruz and Odorizzi.

There's a ton of untapped potential with the Sox but they're still 2 years away from being at the height of their powers.  

It's not all bad, but it's not all good either. It is incredibly frustrating that they could be so much better than they are, though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are plenty of reasons to be excited about the Sox, but they're not on the level of the Dodgers and Padres at least. I'd have to see what the Yankees are doing to know if they have a chance to get out of the AL. At the current time, models like the Twins to win the division even without Cruz and Odorizzi.

There's a ton of untapped potential with the Sox but they're still 2 years away from being at the height of their powers.  

Who is on the Dodgers level except for the Dodgers? If you think the Sox will ever be like the Dodgers, I have other news for you.

And what have the Padres actually done to be better than the White Sox? They've made a few good trades this offseason and signed an int 2b. They haven't done anything yet on the field to prove it. Last season they had 2 more wins than the Sox, and the Sox probably should have had more if not for poor managing decisions.

And models can say all they want. I know what this Sox team has and it should scare the shit out of every team in the league.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Who is on the Dodgers level except for the Dodgers? If you think the Sox will ever be like the Dodgers, I have other news for you.

And what have the Padres actually done to be better than the White Sox? They've made a few good trades this offseason and signed an int 2b. They haven't done anything yet on the field to prove it. Last season they had 2 more wins than the Sox, and the Sox probably should have had more if not for poor managing decisions.

People somehow don’t realize this.  The Sox are sitting in a much sweeter position with people locked up long term.  We are about to be the envy of the league

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I do not. I expect them to have a bottom end top 10 payroll and they're below league average. 

I'd feel a lot better if the Sox could get Giolito locked up past 2023 right now. Otherwise, there's a lot riding on Kopech/Crochet/Cease. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Tell that to the 2020 Rays

I wish the Sox would run their organization like that if they're going to be around 15-20th in payroll. 

The Rays and A's take steps back but they're great at scouting and they're not down for long. 

Jerry doesn't understand how important playing in the international market and allowing the FO to draft HS talent in the top 5 is, if you're going to have a strict budget. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And models can say all they want. I know what this Sox team has and it should scare the shit out of every team in the league.

You're right. Adding Darvish and Snell doesn't move the needle much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1