MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I do not. I expect them to have a bottom end top 10 payroll and they're below league average. 

I'd feel a lot better if the Sox could get Giolito locked up past 2023 right now. Otherwise, there's a lot riding on Kopech/Crochet/Cease. 

Right now their payroll is 16th in MLB with Giolito due for an extension. They brought in dudes high school coach to be pitching coach. I'd be shocked if they dont get an extension done. 

Like others have said 85% of free agents are still available. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they end up in the top 10-12 in payroll. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sox72 said:

Keep posting. The “block” feature makes this board exponentially better. There are some great posters with fantastic insight. And you should look forward to engaging with them. The nice thing about the “block” is that you don’t have to look away with one eye open, tempted to take a peek. It filters out the garbage posters automatically. I have used it on several, and it’s part of the reason this is my most-visited website in my downtime. 

I've been on this board since high school and I'm 33 now, I don't think I've blocked a soul. Looking like I should take advantage of that feature. It's become a shit show here. 

This team is stacked and people are mad they filled their #8 or #9 hole with Adam Eaton who can still be a guy who puts up a .350+ OPS and can create a nice little dynamic with Madrigal to turn the lineup over.

They also added a guy who finished in the top 5 in cy young voting just last year, to go with 2 other guys that finished in the top 5 in said voting. 

The Padres added 2 guys in the Cy Young conversation when the Sox have 3 guys in the same conversation. They dont have Clevenger for 2021 so their rotation past the top 2 is pretty questionable. 

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But there was one guy, I think Santana, whose contract was not guaranteed that year and I think we paid out only a tiny fraction of it. It was the difference between wasting $55 and $52 million in 2019 or something like that.

You're correct.  I just looked it up.  Baseball encyclopedia says Sox paid him $100,000 that year, then cut him.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Congratulations to San Diego for recognzing what I said all along, if you are willing to take on dollars, the deals will literally never be better than what they are this winter.

Amazing that most deals that looks bad and "unmovable" is in fact, movable.

Edited by manbearpuig

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

Whatever happened to Jay Mariotti. Is he teaching preschool?

He tried to power play the Sun Times by threatening to quit, and they let him.  Then he moved on out west and never really got going again.  A domestic violence allegation pretty much finished him off.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He tried to power play the Sun Times by threatening to quit, and they let him.  Then he moved on out west and never really got going again.  A domestic violence allegation pretty much finished him off.

Supposedly he was being considered for a job at ESPN 1000. I imagine since the White Sox moved there, JR is not going to let that happen. So JR does have his good qualities.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, scs787 said:

I've been on this board since high school and I'm 33 now, I don't think I've blocked a soul. Looking like I should take advantage of that feature. It's become a shit show here. 

This team is stacked and people are mad they filled their #8 or #9 hole with Adam Eaton who can still be a guy who puts up a .350+ OPS and can create a nice little dynamic with Madrigal to turn the lineup over.

They also added a guy who finished in the top 5 in cy young voting just last year, to go with 2 other guys that finished in the top 5 in said voting. 

The Padres added 2 guys in the Cy Young conversation when the Sox have 3 guys in the same conversation. They dont have Clevenger for 2021 so their rotation past the top 2 is pretty questionable. 

Lamet isn’t really questionable.  Paddack has shown some MLB success as well

27 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That is when the owners want to start the season.  

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering opening day could be then as well, it isn't a surprise that this is dragging out.

Yeah I was just joking because it’s dragging right now. I’m thinking late February or March. Possibly April but that’s stretching it. Can you imagine though if it did drag out until May or June. This board would go crazy.

Edited by maloney.adam

11 hours ago, scs787 said:

Wow, holy spin batman!

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

Multi year deals are not in the cards for most teams. Yes Covid is a real excuse. People who claimed Covid would not stop them are gone. Sox had three notable moves so far and one notorious. 

The Sox are not done making moves. It’s just slow right now but it’s not going to last forever.