MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

49 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I don't see where Benintendi fits on the Sox? I'd rather keep Lopez for relief. He might be really good in that role.

Benintendi goes to LF and Eloy goes to DH, Eaton in RF, Robert in CF.

We need another OF, preferably a LHB.

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I could get on board with this. But why would Boston make the trade?

Beats me.... that's just what people are speculating in this thread. If I was Boston, I wouldn't touch Reynaldo, but they seem to have really soured on Benintendi... Beni is definitely going to be traded soon somewhere. 

23 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Benintendi goes to LF and Eloy goes to DH, Eaton in RF, Robert in CF.

We need another OF, preferably a LHB.

I don't see the Sox moving Eloy to DH. But if they do and he is ok with it, then fine I guess.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I somewhat agree, but i'm not sure why they wouldn't... Eloy is an awful defender and injures himself in the field.

I think it's just the precedent that he's too young but I believe that is an arbitrary claim. Who cares? He'd be best in the DH role. And it might save the Sox significant money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Where does Vaughn play if you move Eloy to DH?

Vaughn doesn't start the year with us. He could use some seasoning. When he does get up, give him some spot starts at 1b or dh, and also there is a high potential that the situation just works itself out anyway by in season injuries... 

23 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Vaughn doesn't start the year with us. He could use some seasoning. When he does get up, give him some spot starts at 1b or dh, and also there is a high potential that the situation just works itself out anyway by in season injuries... 

I agree that the situation could work itself out, but once Vaughn is up, he's going to be playing every day.  He won't get called up to just get spot starts. 

24 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

They won't bring Vaughn up to only play occasionally

I agree; the trade of Lopez for seems like a natural for both clubs. 

Pretty much, both organizations and fan bases have soured on the two players. I have to believe both sides see the loss of their player as very, very minor. 

Yet both have big upsides that could really plug a hole that the other teams needs. 

Lopez has something that if you could find it and tap into it, would give you a very solid starting pitcher. Boston needs pitching, and again, Boston has soured on B. 

There is nowhere for Lopez to be of value to the Sox. The bullpen is loaded. People who think maybe Lopez in the bullpen, do you really want to see him jogging out to take the ball with a guy on 1st and the Sox holding a one or two run lead in the 6th or 7th inning? Do you want that? I sure don't. 

On the other hand, Benintendi could plug several different holes for the Sox: An insurance if Eaton gets hurt, we still would have a left hand bat to put in right field. Another left-handed bat to DH or play in left field if Eloy is sitting or hurt. Again, he has a really big upside that it seems worth the Sox time to try to find. 

Could the Sox make this happen if they threw in a minor minor leaguer, the equivalent of a Weems?

Too me, the Sox lose nothing in moving Lopez. He's like a college junior part-time starting power forward, and the coach has brought in two freshmen forwards who are clearly better than the returning player. Like this junior forward, Lopez doesn't have a spot anymore. The Sox have recruited over Lopez's talent level. So why not move him. 

Benintendi and Eaton both seem to have some health concerns. Eloy would still likely see a lot of time in the OF. You can play him in LF and let Eaton DH once or twice a week (especially against lefties when you may sit Benintendi in favor of Engel in RF), or let Benintendi DH once or twice a week as well.

Not really in favor of dealing for Benintendi though. If they were to add a corner OF, I would rather just sign Pederson, Bradley (play him in a corner and have Eloy mostly DH), etc. They would increase their payroll dealing Lopez for Benintendi anyway.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Benintendi and Eaton both seem to have some health concerns. Eloy would still likely see a lot of time in the OF. You can play him in LF and let Eaton DH once or twice a week (especially against lefties when you may sit Benintendi in favor of Engel in RF), or let Benintendi DH once or twice a week as well.

Not really in favor of dealing for Benintendi though. If were to add a corner OF, would rather just sign Pederson, Bradley (play him in a corner and have Eloy mostly DH), etc. They would increase their payroll dealing Lopez for Benintendi anyway.

Joc pederson would be nice.

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I agree that the situation could work itself out, but once Vaughn is up, he's going to be playing every day.  He won't get called up to just get spot starts. 

Then the question is where does Benintendi or Eaton play. Not that difficult

10 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Then the question is where does Benintendi or Eaton play. Not that difficult

Huh?  Perhaps you are directing that question at somebody else. I don't think we should be acquiring Benintendi because there isn't a place for him to play. If we do happen to grab an outfielder that pushes Eloy to DH, then Vaughn will be staying in the minors, but I don't see that happening.

My main point was that they will only be calling Vaughn up if there is a chance for him to play every day...not to just get spot starts.

47 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Huh?  Perhaps you are directing that question at somebody else. I don't think we should be acquiring Benintendi because there isn't a place for him to play. If we do happen to grab an outfielder that pushes Eloy to DH, then Vaughn will be staying in the minors, but I don't see that happening.

My main point was that they will only be calling Vaughn up if there is a chance for him to play every day...not to just get spot starts.

Right. In that case the question becomes where does Benintendi or Eaton play. Not that difficult really.

3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree; the trade of Lopez for seems like a natural for both clubs. 

Pretty much, both organizations and fan bases have soured on the two players. I have to believe both sides see the loss of their player as very, very minor. 

Yet both have big upsides that could really plug a hole that the other teams needs. 

Lopez has something that if you could find it and tap into it, would give you a very solid starting pitcher. Boston needs pitching, and again, Boston has soured on B. 

There is nowhere for Lopez to be of value to the Sox. The bullpen is loaded. People who think maybe Lopez in the bullpen, do you really want to see him jogging out to take the ball with a guy on 1st and the Sox holding a one or two run lead in the 6th or 7th inning? Do you want that? I sure don't. 

On the other hand, Benintendi could plug several different holes for the Sox: An insurance if Eaton gets hurt, we still would have a left hand bat to put in right field. Another left-handed bat to DH or play in left field if Eloy is sitting or hurt. Again, he has a really big upside that it seems worth the Sox time to try to find. 

Could the Sox make this happen if they threw in a minor minor leaguer, the equivalent of a Weems?

Too me, the Sox lose nothing in moving Lopez. He's like a college junior part-time starting power forward, and the coach has brought in two freshmen forwards who are clearly better than the returning player. Like this junior forward, Lopez doesn't have a spot anymore. The Sox have recruited over Lopez's talent level. So why not move him. 

Seems like a sensible solution.  Paul Konerko & Mike Cameron were swapped as disappointments to their clubs only to launch them to very good careers.  I would take a shot on Benintendi.  A change of environment might do both a world of good.