MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Not sure of their financial and roster situation, but is this a move that stops them from pursuing Bauer? I mean, I know this is a drastic difference, but I'm legitimately wondering.

No, not at all. They still have tens of millions to spend, open rotation slots, and Chatwood might even be signing on as a reliever anyway

3 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Not sure of their financial and roster situation, but is this a move that stops them from pursuing Bauer? I mean, I know this is a drastic difference, but I'm legitimately wondering.

They've sort of got a lot of "back of the rotation decent money types" with Chatwood, Tanner Roark, Ross Stripling, and Robbie Ray. They could certainly still use a TOR guy and move any of those pitchers to the bullpen. But they may also decide they've just got enough depth. 

Holy shit David Haugh waxing poetic about Lester "the best free agent in Cubs history why didn't they offer him that money" 

There is no reason for the Cubs to spend that money, and Haugh is acting like they are letting a good player walk 

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Holy shit David Haugh waxing poetic about Lester "the best free agent in Cubs history why didn't they offer him that money" 

There is no reason for the Cubs to spend that money, and Haugh is acting like they are letting a good player walk 

Yeah, Lester is definitely not a TOR starter anymore

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

David Haugh doesn't want to see guys who are washed up get fired, for obvious reasons.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Man, Cubdom melting down.  Seems like losing Lester is making a lot of them see the writing on the wall about the state of their team right now (which is crazy, but that's a different story).  Dark times for the baby animals.

I think it is the fact that he only got $5M and would have signed for less with the cub and they still couldn't afford him is what is sending them spiraling.

18 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Mets are getting Lucchesi in the deal, a solid pick up. Padres get Musgrove and Pittsburgh is getting five players total.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Wow, I hate the trade for the Padres.  This seems STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm not sure what the Cubs are doing but their rotation was trash even before they traded Darvish, and now it is even worse.  If they are going to try to win at least some games, bringing Lester back will help.  I mean that rotation is baaaad.   It's worse than the Sox when they started the rebuild.  Maybe Hendriks can be like our Q but there's not even a Giolito and Lopez in there behind him, and no Kopech in the high minors.  They have Marquez who is probably a RP IMO.  

Cubs fans are justified for being pissed about not bringing Lester back for multiple reasons, including 1) not trying hard enough to actually win games, 2) not seeming to pick a clear direction for a rebuild (why has Darvish been the only guy traded?), and 3) even in a full rebuild year, you need someone like Lester around to eat up some of those innings and help out the pen a bit.

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It must be nice to be projected to suck at your job but still command $5 million.

James Shields, that's all I have to say.  He was getting how much from the Sox, not even counting what the Padres were still paying him?

Even if the Cubs were in full rebuild mode, having Lester at $5M or less to eat innings and help teach the young players is a great move.  Surely the owners don't need to pocket everything.

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I'm not sure what the Cubs are doing but their rotation was trash even before they traded Darvish, and now it is even worse.  If they are going to try to win at least some games, bringing Lester back will help.  I mean that rotation is baaaad.   It's worse than the Sox when they started the rebuild.  Maybe Hendriks can be like our Q but there's not even a Giolito and Lopez in there behind him, and no Kopech in the high minors.  They have Marquez who is probably a RP IMO.  

Cubs fans are justified for being pissed about not bringing Lester back for multiple reasons, including 1) not trying hard enough to actually win games, 2) not seeming to pick a clear direction for a rebuild (why has Darvish been the only guy traded?), and 3) even in a full rebuild year, you need someone like Lester around to eat up some of those innings and help out the pen a bit.

The Cubs know their window is somewhere between closing and closed, and their debt levels combined with zero revenue are putting them in a spot where they are probably in trouble with the MLB rules for debt versus revenue, as they were really highly leveraged even before the pandemic happened.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Cubs know their window is somewhere between closing and closed, and their debt levels combined with zero revenue are putting them in a spot where they are probably in trouble with the MLB rules for debt versus revenue, as they were really highly leveraged even before the pandemic happened.

If things were really so bad for them then they should have just nontendered Bryant and still brought back Lester on the cheap and worked on a Rizzo extension.

As it is they are going to have to pay Bryant something close to $20M or whatever it is unless they can manage to trade him for salary relief and a bag of balls.  

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

If things were really so bad for them then they should have just nontendered Bryant and still brought back Lester on the cheap and worked on a Rizzo extension.

As it is they are going to have to pay Bryant something close to $20M or whatever it is unless they can manage to trade him for salary relief and a bag of balls.  

I would bet money that Bryant will be gone before the season starts.  It sounds like they thought about non-tender, but noticed a trade market so they were going to explore that.