MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

gosh we are missing everyone (I'm not mad, because we have been active).. But jeeeezus we are gunna be stuck with Cahill and Collins.. Both will require trading prospects at the deadline.. grrrr

Stuck with Flowers (Avila) and Archer?  I'm ok with that if there is a bat brewing right now........if we cash in on no one and this is the last two moves, not so thrilled....

1 minute ago, aeichhor said:

I am starting to believe though the Sox need to make some decisions.  We weren't giving 3 years to a utility type, but those type of guys are starting to shrink away as well.  The puzzle is DH, utility bat, #4 SP, backup C.  I say we need 3 of 4.  Quality of options though in each dwindles with each day.......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I am starting to believe though the Sox need to make some decisions.  We weren't giving 3 years to a utility type, but those type of guys are starting to shrink away as well.  The puzzle is DH, utility bat, #4 SP, backup C.  I say we need 3 of 4.  Quality of options though in each dwindles with each day.......

I hope they just sign a SP rather than trade 2 MLB guys (Madrigal, Heuer) and a super high ceiling SP (Kelley). Just give me someone.  Paxton? Hamels? Walker? Fine with all of them... Even Richards I guess... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I hope they just sign a SP rather than trade 2 MLB guys (Madrigal, Heuer) and a super high ceiling SP (Kelley). Just give me someone.  Paxton? Hamels? Walker? Fine with all of them... Even Richards I guess... 

All the guys you said you’d be fine with are significant injury risks, just like Richards.  Richards might be the healthiest

44 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I disagree.  I'd be content with the Sox rolling with Vaughn as the primary DH, Collins as the back up C, and Mendick, Engel, and Leury as the utility guys.  The only true need IMO is a back end starter, and there are a lot of options still out there.  If the Sox aren't ready to make Collins the back up catcher by now, I don't know why the hell he's still in the organization.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, fathom said:

All the guys you said you’d be fine with are significant injury risks, just like Richards.  Richards might be the healthiest

Richards hasn't pitched more than 70ish in a season since 2015 (1 time). Hamels - 4 times. Walker - 3 times. Paxton - 4 times. HELL, Rich Hill - 3 times. So yes, these pitchers obviously are also injury prone... Richards just can't throw anymore without dying.

They are not the same.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I disagree.  I'd be content with the Sox rolling with Vaughn as the primary DH, Collins as the back up C, and Mendick, Engel, and Leury as the utility guys.  The only true need IMO is a back end starter, and there are a lot of options still out there.  If the Sox aren't ready to make Collins the back up catcher by now, I don't know why the hell he's still in the organization.

same.  I just want another SP, that can move to BP if needed.

32 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I absolutely can see this working as well, but I still don't see the massive difference between Paxton who may get $15 million vs Archer/Richards who may get $5-$8 and allow you to go get an extra piece.  I hear ya though on Collins but if you need a catcher for 60+ games, I want a vet at this point if they don't have confidence

8 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'm at this point as well.  For some reason I want Walker.

If the Sox traded for Burnes for that madrigal package, their projected ‘24 rotation without a giolito extension would be Burnes/Kopech/Cease/Crochet/Thompson/Dalquist/FA. I’d rather have that kind of projected rotation than madrigal and Heuer every day of the week. Gio/Burnes/Kopech/Cease/Crochet with Gio extension even better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fathom said:

I'd say Walker is the healthiest just going by a full recovery from TJ which made him miss most of 2018 and 2019 . He put up very good results in the 2nd half of last year. His peripherals won't wow anyone but before TJ he didn't have any problems going 150-160 innings. He's also the youngest of those mentioned by 3 years+

Paxton seems like he might be headed to TJ based on what kept him out last year.

Hamels is ancient no need to take a chance on him.

As other have pointed out Richards injury history is terrible but he did pitch almost as many innings as Walker and his peripherals are more pleasing. His spin rates are about as good as you'd want but maybe that's why he's always hurt.

Walkers ZIPS projections are also the best among those 4.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

All the players Twins fans want are being signed. That is good news. 

They like to hang around really late and sign up the bargain bin guys.  That's how they got Cruz in the first place, same when they signed Lance Lynn and IIRC Odorizzi, etc.

This is just their MO.  And there will still be players available later on as well.

Personally, I think because the Indians are kinda tanking a bit after their trade, the Twins will have enough talent to rack up enough wins in this shit division to contend for the playoffs when 5 teams get in, and enough to make them shoo-ins if there are 8 teams, but they don't have the horses or the pen to advance in the postseason, unless they spend beyond their typical norms (they won't) or make trades involving their top young guys (they won't) so I'm really not worried about anything the Twins are doing.

• Like 1