MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

These next two weeks are going to be a flurry of signings. Here are a few names I'd like the Sox to consider whether it be on a minor league deal or a flier/small Major league deal.

Tyler Flowers - I'm probably more comfortable than most to go in with Collins & Yermin, but seems like a natural fit if we go FA route

Marwin Gonzalez - probably not a whole ton left in the tank - but fills a versatility role for cheap. One thing to note is his best of best years were during the cheating scandal I believe. So you're likely just getting a .250ba with a dozen homers. very avg. replaceable type guy, but can move around the field. id rather keep what we have than chase him.

Villar - Not sure if he really has a role, but has played CF a few times over the year, 2b, DH, SS, etc. some versatility there and can swipe 30-40 bags. Don't know larussa's past on stealing - old school guy = steals? maybe. like marwin just a guy who can plug in a few spots and also has some pop. doubt his price and want to play everyday can be met with us, so long shot of a fit here.

Cespedes - call me crazy - and this is a hunch - i think he signs a minor league deal with some incentives and is w the Sox in ST. I can see him wanting to play with his brother & this gives him an opportunity to do so during spring training. give him the option to opt out before the season starts. i also think he has at least a glimmer of an opening to DH for the Sox for a month or two - something I'm not sure he's going to find elsewhere either. I dont think people are knocking down his doors. Maybe you find lightning in a bottle. He'll be 35 but last time he really even played half a season was back in 2017. ST deal, 1 year, $1mm if he makes the roster. Can tie some incentives to it just in case he's good again or healthy. 

Shin Soo Choo - this one makes a ton of sense to me. lefty bat, even at 36 back in 2019 he batted .265 with an obp of .377 and ops of .826 - hit 24 homers, stole 15 bases. Wouldn't be surprised if you can get him on a deal like cespedes - just a year deal, $1-2mm. He can plug into rf and left field in a pinch, not well, but enough to hold down the fort for a few games if forced into action.

Scooter Gennett - guy fell of the face of the earth sitting out last year. I'd explore.

Rich Hill - been a huge fan of his - can bounce around starting and bullpen easily.

Cole Hamels - not too far removed from earning that 1yr 18mm deal. can see him going for 6-8mm. know we explored him in the past. would be open to it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

These next two weeks are going to be a flurry of signings. Here are a few names I'd like the Sox to consider whether it be on a minor league deal or a flier/small Major league deal.

Tyler Flowers - I'm probably more comfortable than most to go in with Collins & Yermin, but seems like a natural fit if we go FA route

Marwin Gonzalez - probably not a whole ton left in the tank - but fills a versatility role for cheap. One thing to note is his best of best years were during the cheating scandal I believe. So you're likely just getting a .250ba with a dozen homers. very avg. replaceable type guy, but can move around the field. id rather keep what we have than chase him.

Villar - Not sure if he really has a role, but has played CF a few times over the year, 2b, DH, SS, etc. some versatility there and can swipe 30-40 bags. Don't know larussa's past on stealing - old school guy = steals? maybe. like marwin just a guy who can plug in a few spots and also has some pop. doubt his price and want to play everyday can be met with us, so long shot of a fit here.

Cespedes - call me crazy - and this is a hunch - i think he signs a minor league deal with some incentives and is w the Sox in ST. I can see him wanting to play with his brother & this gives him an opportunity to do so during spring training. give him the option to opt out before the season starts. i also think he has at least a glimmer of an opening to DH for the Sox for a month or two - something I'm not sure he's going to find elsewhere either. I dont think people are knocking down his doors. Maybe you find lightning in a bottle. He'll be 35 but last time he really even played half a season was back in 2017. ST deal, 1 year, $1mm if he makes the roster. Can tie some incentives to it just in case he's good again or healthy. 

Shin Soo Choo - this one makes a ton of sense to me. lefty bat, even at 36 back in 2019 he batted .265 with an obp of .377 and ops of .826 - hit 24 homers, stole 15 bases. Wouldn't be surprised if you can get him on a deal like cespedes - just a year deal, $1-2mm. He can plug into rf and left field in a pinch, not well, but enough to hold down the fort for a few games if forced into action.

Scooter Gennett - guy fell of the face of the earth sitting out last year. I'd explore.

Rich Hill - been a huge fan of his - can bounce around starting and bullpen easily.

Cole Hamels - not too far removed from earning that 1yr 18mm deal. can see him going for 6-8mm. know we explored him in the past. would be open to it

I like the idel of Cespedes/Choo.  Give them 1 year- 1.5 million with 3 million in incentives.  If cut during season, they receive 500k.

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Great post! 

My thoughts:

Choo would be ideal. TBH he'd probably be better than Eaton over the year. 

Cespedes I am also fine with. See what he has left.

Villar - Just say NO. Bad defender, bad teammate (from what I hear on podcasts), the playoff marlins gave him away for nothing... No one wants this dude.

Marwin - eh... versatility is nice I guess

Hill/Hamels? Whatever, the more SP the better.

Could Cespedes sign that cheap of a deal?  I have to imagine if anything he signs something with a MiLB deal with some millions of dollars (maybe 3-5) if he makes the team by a certain date.  A million seems like it wouldn't even be worth getting off of the couch for after the contract he just came off of.

so, IDK, I feel like this might deserve it's own thread... but I'm just going to post here regarding Ozuna/Cruz/No DH in NL.

With no DH in the NL, that means Nelson Cruz is going to an AL team and more than likely Marcell Ozuna SHOULD go to a AL Team.

It begs the question... do any NL teams take on Marcell's terrible defense ? Does Marcell go for a one year contract again?

I would imagine that Ozuna is looking to get PAID as he deserves it, but I also imagine there are very little suitors out there. Could be an ideal time to get Ozuna locked up for 3-4 years if you are the White Sox... just saying.

AL TEAMS and their DH situation:

BAL - Complete rebuild, will need to use DH spot for the plethora of young OF/1b types they have. So No.
TB - I don't see TBR spending the money for either. Not impossible, but I'll say NO.
NYY - Ozuna was linked to NYY earlier in the offseason but that made no sense to me. They've spent money on pitchers, closing into the luxury tax. They have Stanton as DH, and OF is pretty set, so I see this as a NO.
BOS - NVM They have JD, NO. 
TOR - As it stands, DH is not a concern. They have Teoscar/Randal Girchuk/Rowdy Tellez as all possibilities and one or two of them need the DH spot anyway. So no, unless they get creative with a trade this late in the offseason.

CWS - budget concerns, but open DH... LETS GO OZUNA!
MIN - 95% Certainty that Nelson Cruz just ends up here. So Yes to Cruz.
DET - Rebuilding, would be shocking if they went here, No.
KC - Rebuilding, would be shocking if they went here, No.
CLE - Franmil Reyes and Eddie Rosario are both awful defenders and in need of the DH. So no.

HOU - Yordan Alvarez. No.
LAA - LAA has the corpse of Pujols with the rising prospect of Jared Welsh and other oldies clogging up the lineup. Highly doubt that they spend money to get either. No.
OAK - OAK never spends money. They still have Khris Davis. I highly doubt anything happens here, so No.
TEX - Full on rebuild, I would be shocked if they decided to spend $$$ on a DH for a year or two. So No.
SEA - They shouldn't sign them. They have a young amazing team filled with OFrs, one of them will occupy the DH and their a year or two away from competiting. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

so, IDK, I feel like this might deserve it's own thread... but I'm just going to post here regarding Ozuna/Cruz/No DH in NL.

With no DH in the NL, that means Nelson Cruz is going to an AL team and more than likely Marcell Ozuna SHOULD go to a AL Team.

It begs the question... do any NL teams take on Marcell's terrible defense ? Does Marcell go for a one year contract again?

I would imagine that Ozuna is looking to get PAID as he deserves it, but I also imagine there are very little suitors out there. Could be an ideal time to get Ozuna locked up for 3-4 years if you are the White Sox... just saying.

AL TEAMS and their DH situation:

BAL - Complete rebuild, will need to use DH spot for the plethora of young OF/1b types they have. So No.
TB - I don't see TBR spending the money for either. Not impossible, but I'll say NO.
NYY - Ozuna was linked to NYY earlier in the offseason but that made no sense to me. They've spent money on pitchers, closing into the luxury tax. They have Stanton as DH, and OF is pretty set, so I see this as a NO.
BOS - I could see BOS signing Ozuna. They don't have a DH that I know of right now. They've been linked to him earlier, but they are also clearly not a good enough team with that awful pitching staff. So maybe?
TOR - As it stands, DH is not a concern. They have Teoscar/Randal Girchuk/Rowdy Tellez as all possibilities and one or two of them need the DH spot anyway. So no, unless they get creative with a trade this late in the offseason.

CWS - budget concerns, but open DH... LETS GO OZUNA!
MIN - 95% Certainty that Nelson Cruz just ends up here. So Yes to Cruz.
DET - Rebuilding, would be shocking if they went here, No.
KC - Rebuilding, would be shocking if they went here, No.
CLE - Franmil Reyes and Eddie Rosario are both awful defenders and in need of the DH. So no.

HOU - Yordan Alvarez. No.
LAA - LAA has the corpse of Pujols with the rising prospect of Jared Welsh and other oldies clogging up the lineup. Highly doubt that they spend money to get either. No.
OAK - OAK never spends money. They still have Khris Davis. I highly doubt anything happens here, so No.
TEX - Full on rebuild, I would be shocked if they decided to spend $$$ on a DH for a year or two. So No.
SEA - They shouldn't sign them. They have a young amazing team filled with OFrs, one of them will occupy the DH and their a year or two away from competiting. 

I am not even certain I'd rather have Ozuna than Vaughn this year. Pass. 

He has had 2 awesome years, and many above average years.  He seems to be overrated here imo.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am not even certain I'd rather have Ozuna than Vaughn this year. Pass. 

He has had 2 awesome years, and many above average years.  He seems to be overrated here imo.

You are absolutely crazy if you'd rather have Vaughn DH this year over Ozuna. Ozuna is an Eloy-level monster hitter right now and is proven. Vaughn is a prospect.