MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am not even certain I'd rather have Ozuna than Vaughn this year. Pass. 

He has had 2 awesome years, and many above average years. He seems to be overrated here imo.

Sooooo what's your point?

Edited by RagahRagah

Ozuna has been linked to STL and ATL, but with no DH, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Would they be 1 year deals? 

I don't think STL /ATL would dare sign Ozuna long term with no indication of a Universal DH. 

Would imagine a smaller $$$ but longer deal would net the White sox Ozuna.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

He is if you're getting a controllable front of the rotation type arm in a trade for Vaughn to go along with Ozuna. 

Yeah if I could get a front line starter, Andrew Vaughn is at the top of my list of our top prospects I would be wiling to deal.  The Sox offense is loaded, and we have a lot of other 1B/DH types behind him, as well as that Abreu guy in front of him.  It isn't hard to see a scenario where they have Eloy going to DH a year or two down the road.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Vaughn won't stay in the minors for 2 years (abreu's contract up).

No reason for him to do that either.

CWS need depth at the majors. He will get a ton of playing time even with Ozuna there. And this way, he will be eased in.

Ozuna can also play RF for a handful of games and sub Engel in late. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd rather keep Vaughn and use the money spend on Ozuna for a SP dump/sign

Darren Wolfson has quite a few tweets today saying Twins have discussed Ozuna. He says they’re going to add a hitter, starter and reliever still.

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

These next two weeks are going to be a flurry of signings. Here are a few names I'd like the Sox to consider whether it be on a minor league deal or a flier/small Major league deal.

Tyler Flowers - I'm probably more comfortable than most to go in with Collins & Yermin, but seems like a natural fit if we go FA route

Marwin Gonzalez - probably not a whole ton left in the tank - but fills a versatility role for cheap. One thing to note is his best of best years were during the cheating scandal I believe. So you're likely just getting a .250ba with a dozen homers. very avg. replaceable type guy, but can move around the field. id rather keep what we have than chase him.

Villar - Not sure if he really has a role, but has played CF a few times over the year, 2b, DH, SS, etc. some versatility there and can swipe 30-40 bags. Don't know larussa's past on stealing - old school guy = steals? maybe. like marwin just a guy who can plug in a few spots and also has some pop. doubt his price and want to play everyday can be met with us, so long shot of a fit here.

Cespedes - call me crazy - and this is a hunch - i think he signs a minor league deal with some incentives and is w the Sox in ST. I can see him wanting to play with his brother & this gives him an opportunity to do so during spring training. give him the option to opt out before the season starts. i also think he has at least a glimmer of an opening to DH for the Sox for a month or two - something I'm not sure he's going to find elsewhere either. I dont think people are knocking down his doors. Maybe you find lightning in a bottle. He'll be 35 but last time he really even played half a season was back in 2017. ST deal, 1 year, $1mm if he makes the roster. Can tie some incentives to it just in case he's good again or healthy. 

Shin Soo Choo - this one makes a ton of sense to me. lefty bat, even at 36 back in 2019 he batted .265 with an obp of .377 and ops of .826 - hit 24 homers, stole 15 bases. Wouldn't be surprised if you can get him on a deal like cespedes - just a year deal, $1-2mm. He can plug into rf and left field in a pinch, not well, but enough to hold down the fort for a few games if forced into action.

Scooter Gennett - guy fell of the face of the earth sitting out last year. I'd explore.

Rich Hill - been a huge fan of his - can bounce around starting and bullpen easily.

Cole Hamels - not too far removed from earning that 1yr 18mm deal. can see him going for 6-8mm. know we explored him in the past. would be open to it

Some interesting thoughts.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have faith in you, you will find a way.

TY, but every night I dream of a starry Trevor  Bauer leading us through the season with complete game shut out after complete game shut out and his twitter account becomes my #1 place to find news and I go and buy a Trevor Bauer jersey and attend as many Bauer starts as possible and live happily ever after