MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

No thanks watching Engel play full time

Okay so sign Robbie Grossman instead of Eaton and you'd be at $1 million more than the Sox current payroll.

This is the exact type of deal that I was going to be mad about when Hendriks signed for big money. A great fit on this team for reasonable money and the Sox weren't in on him at all because they blew their wad on a closer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

At this point last year, our pal, and Mr. Reliable himself, Hector Gomez was reporting the Sox were in on Puig......

Why not now? 

What if Hectors been playing us this whole time...its Puig he's been talking about. 

Puig is not getting interest from any MLB team, think about that, there is a reason for that.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I am going to get ridiculed for this, but i don't care. Money isn't always the primary factor playing into a free agent's decision. Many times, yes, it probably is. But not always. See: Zack Wheeler 2019-2020 offseason

Two things. 

1. Zack Wheeler signed for 5/118 with the Phillies. But let’s say that offer never came in from the Phillies. So the Sox offered 125, and the next best offer is from the Yankees at 100 million. Where do you think he ends up? 

2. Again, Wheeler signed for 5/118. We don’t know how much the Sox offered, but let’s say it was 125. What if the offer was 140? 150? Does he still tell the Sox no, or does the extra 20-30 million get him to Chicago?

What we are saying basically comes down to semantics....but my point is I think in both cases, money DOES become the deciding factor and is the No. 1 decision...but when the difference between the two final offers were so small, the secondary stuff starts to weigh-in more. I don’t believe playing on the East Coast becomes that big of a talking point if the difference in offers was 20+ Million, and the Sox could have made that happen if they wanted. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

Two things. 

1. Zack Wheeler signed for 5/118 with the Phillies. But let’s say that offer never came in from the Phillies. So the Sox offered 125, and the next best offer is from the Yankees at 100 million. Where do you think he ends up? 

2. Again, Wheeler signed for 5/118. We don’t know how much the Sox offered, but let’s say it was 125. What if the offer was 140? 150? Does he still tell the Sox no, or does the extra 20-30 million get him to Chicago?

What we are saying basically comes down to semantics....but my point is I think in both cases, money DOES become the deciding factor and is the No. 1 decision...but when the difference between the two final offers were so small, the secondary stuff starts to weigh-in more. I don’t believe playing on the East Coast becomes that big of a talking point if the difference in offers was 20+ Million, and the Sox could have made that happen if they wanted. 

I could argue my point more but it wouldn't do much without real numbers. I wish clubs would share their budgets and revenue incomes vs expenditures...then all this would become much more clear.

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I am going to get ridiculed for this, but i don't care. Money isn't always the primary factor playing into a free agent's decision. Many times, yes, it probably is. But not always. See: Zack Wheeler 2019-2020 offseason

I agree...no way would I play in New York...just wouldn't.  I would just wait for the WS to come to the table.🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1