MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Despite that, if you are him, why wouldn't you sign it? It's more money than you will ever need. Are you really concerned about heirs 3 generations from now? For all you know they may be assholes.

If we weren't so fucking greedy and reckless and were more educated in general that kind of money would last several generations with ease. I'd like to think if the difference between going to a team I want to play for and/or could have a great chance at winning a title and one that will pay me the most is 30 million when I'm going to make 200+ I would choose the former rather easily. Sounds like SD is both for Tatis.

Besides, we can only keep going higher and higher on these contracts until the entire leage just hits a hard wall. What Bauer is going to get paid next year is just disgusting and he's not even really in that tier IMO.

Edited by RagahRagah

11 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

If we weren't so fucking greedy and reckless and were more educated in general that kind of money would last several generations with ease. I'd like to think if the difference between going to a team I want to play for and/or could have a great chance at winning a title and one that will pay me the most is 30 million when I'm going to make 200+ I would choose the former rather easily. Sounds like SD is both for Tatis.

Besides, we can only keep going higher and higher on these contracts until the entire leage just hits a hard wall. What Bauer is going to get paid next year is just disgusting and he's not even really in that tier IMO.

Plus his father peaked as a 24 year old, then got hurt and never really played a full season again. Had a couple of pretty good partial seasons after that. So he has that example, and a lot of the same genes.

5 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Let’s keep in mind Tatis and Machado got two of the biggest deals in baseball history, from the same agency.  Good for them.

It’s not putting a single dent in the pockets of ownership.   Yet they keep crying poor and raising prices while providing a diminished product.

They are the ones who are reckless and greedy, extracting more and more profit/revenues from fans and players alike.

They, along with the commissioner, are the ones destroying the sport.

It’s not just baseball, it’s quarterbacks and Lionel Messi’s and NBA All-Stars and Formula 1 drivers.

Elite performers deserve to make that money, that’s the society we live in.

Tatis actually understands, unlike Bauer, that it’s a game meant to be entertaining, period.  With Trout disinterested in carrying the banner of doing anything but reporting to play, and no leadership from the owners or Players’ Union, someone has to.  That same attitude is why so many Sox fans love Tim Anderson the most.  They are the future of the sport, and the best way to get or keep those from T ball through age 35 interested.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Tatis actually understands, unlike Bauer, that it’s a game meant to be entertaining, period.  With Trout disinterested in carrying the banner of doing anything but reporting to play, and no leadership from the owners or Players’ Union, someone has to.  That same attitude is why so many Sox fans love Tim Anderson the most.  They are the future of the sport, and the best way to get or keep those from T ball through age 35 interested.

“Unlike Bauer”....that’s one of the most inaccurate comments I’ve seen posted.  Bauer tries to be more interactive with fans and supports players being more entertaining on the field.

• Like 2

Who buys Bauer jerseys and pays top dollar just to watch a guy who’s terribly inconsistent from year to year?

I think I will side with Gerrit Cole on this one.

If anything, Bauer is not the one who should be getting $40+ million a year, because 12 of his 13 starts last year were against below average offenses.

Look at his career holistically, he’s not worth the hype.

Segments of their fan base are uncomfortable they signed an internet bully with a history of allegations that he harassed women, mocked transgender people and spread conspiracy theories, but the Dodgers didn’t view any of that as a reason to pass on an opportunity to show the world how smart they are.

Asked during Bauer’s introductory videoconference Thursday about the message this sent to fans who feel alienated by the team, president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said unconvincingly, “We very much value them.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2021-02-12/trevor-bauer-reputation-harassment-women-dodgers-signing

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/indians/cleveland-indians-pitcher-trevor-bauer-accused-of-online-harassment/95-3fcc500f-aefc-43bf-b71a-4a1421083129

That doesn’t even include the drone incident and offending a Hall of Fame manager to the point of being banished by the team.

Bauer is not refreshing.  He’s a jackass.  He is the center of his own universe, period.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who buys Bauer jerseys and pays top dollar just to watch a guy who’s terribly inconsistent from year to year?

If anything, Bauer is not the one who should be getting $40+ million a year, because 12 of his 13 starts last year were against below average offenses.

Segments of their fan base are uncomfortable they signed an internet bully with a history of allegations that he harassed women, mocked transgender people and spread conspiracy theories, but the Dodgers didn’t view any of that as a reason to pass on an opportunity to show the world how smart they are.

Asked during Bauer’s introductory videoconference Thursday about the message this sent to fans who feel alienated by the team, president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said unconvincingly, “We very much value them.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2021-02-12/trevor-bauer-reputation-harassment-women-dodgers-signing

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/indians/cleveland-indians-pitcher-trevor-bauer-accused-of-online-harassment/95-3fcc500f-aefc-43bf-b71a-4a1421083129

That doesn’t even include the drone incident and offending a Hall of Fame manager to the point of being banished by the team.

Bauer is not refreshing.  He’s a jackass.  He is the center of his own universe, period.

I think a lot of fans are in love with the idea of adding "generic top-of-the-rotation starter" to this team right now rather than Trevor Bauer the actual, living person.  Bauer happened to be the only free agent out there this offseason arguably fitting the TOR description, but Trevor Bauer the actual, living person comes with a LOT of extra baggage and a less than consistent track record of performance, last year notwithstanding.

I was livid we didn't make a play for Strasburg last offseason.  In retrospect I'm glad we didn't.  Hoping I have similar feelings about Bauer in February 2022.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Despite that, if you are him, why wouldn't you sign it? It's more money than you will ever need. Are you really concerned about heirs 3 generations from now? For all you know they may be assholes.

Oh I’d sign it in his position also. But that doesn’t mean it’s a terrible risk for the team - if he’s anywhere near this good, then this deal is a bargain for his career and the kind of move that can keep their stadium full for 10 years. And, they may well also be able to get some injury insurance on a deal like this given his age, to hedge against that risk.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You are talking about a lot of things that don't have anything to do with your point that Bauer doesn't understand that this game is supposed to be entertaining.   You clearly don't like him and that's fine, he had a history and can come off as abrasive, but he is very hands on with fans and is totally on board with the entertainment aspect.  Hell, he told TA to pimp a home run if he hits one off of him.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Something Archie Bunker might say.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

You are talking about a lot of things that don't have anything to do with your point that Bauer doesn't understand that this game is supposed to be entertaining.   You clearly don't like him and that's fine, he had a history and can come off as abrasive, but he is very hands on with fans and is totally on board with the entertainment aspect.  Hell, he told TA to pimp a home run if he hits one off of him.  

For your next trick, are you going to defend Josh Whedon if I attack him?

I’ve heard far too many rationalizations about morally dubious actions or behavior being classified as “entertaining” or “refreshing” over the last five years to put Bauer, Tim Anderson and Fernando Tatis, Jr., in the same category.

But, to each his own.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pcq said:

Something Archie Bunker might say.

I wonder if Giolito or another graduate of Harvard Westlake signed the same deal...would you be saying the same thing?   Something like "Talk is getting World Serious for White Sox.”   That’s what we should be hearing, if Reinsdorf had the vision to offer a fair, long-term extension.

And why exactly are we attacking a player from one of the poorest countries in the world (and whose brother happens to play for the White Sox) providing generational security for his family?

All those hedge funds and individual investors who became overnight millionaires for speculating on GameStop or AMC generated what value for the economy, exactly?  Aren’t they the definition of greedy and reckless?

At least a baseball player brings joy and happiness and inspiration to poverty-stricken kids all across Latin America.  Heck, the White Sox are providing 5-7% of the remittances supporting the Cuban economy.  With that money, the government is subsidized to provide better health care for all its citizens, actually recirculating in a positive, utilitarian way rather than being hoarded.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I wonder if Giolito or another graduate of Harvard Westlake signed the same deal...would you be saying the same thing?   Something like "Talk is getting World Serious for White Sox.”   That’s what we should be hearing, if Reinsdorf had the vision to offer a fair, long-term extension.

And why exactly are we attacking a player from one of the poorest countries in the world (and whose brother happens to play for the White Sox) providing generational security for his family?

All those hedge funds and individual investors who became overnight millionaires for speculating on GameStop or AMC generated what value for the economy, exactly?  Aren’t they the definition of greedy and reckless?

At least a baseball player brings joy and happiness and inspiration to poverty-stricken kids all across Latin America.  Heck, the White Sox are providing 5-7% of the remittances supporting the Cuban economy.  With that money, the government is subsidized to provide better health care for all its citizens, actually recirculating in a positive, utilitarian way rather than being hoarded.

Yep poor guy’s dad never made any money in his life.  Tatis Sr made about 17 million in his career

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

For your next trick, are you going to defend Josh Whedon if I attack him?

I’ve heard far too many rationalizations about morally dubious actions or behavior being classified as “entertaining” or “refreshing” over the last five years to put Bauer, Tim Anderson and Fernando Tatis, Jr., in the same category.

But, to each his own.

Alrighty then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackout Friday said:

Haha yeah that was my thought. The notion that the DR is one of the poorest countries in the world is also very inaccurate. 

The point is that how many thousands of kids in San Pedro de Macoris have the dream of becoming a major league baseball shortstop?

What are their odds of making it?

I would also wager that before that Tatis, Jr., contract was signed and the $10 million signing bonus paid out, that the Giolito family was worth more than the Tatis family.   Heck, practically everyone in the US today considered to be wealthy has at least $50-100 million in net worth, and California real estate alone puts their family in that category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Dominican Republic ranked 68th in the world, basically the equivalent of Thailand.

Certainly richer than Venezuela, for example, but it's also an economy highly reliant about tourism and cheap intensive labor/exports/agriculture and fishing.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The point is that how many thousands of kids in San Pedro de Macoris have the dream of becoming a major league baseball shortstop?

What are their odds of making it?

I would also wager that before that Tatis, Jr., contract was signed and the $10 million signing bonus paid out, that the Giolito family was worth more than the Tatis family.   Heck, practically everyone in the US today considered to be wealthy has at least $50-100 million in net worth, and California real estate alone puts their family in that category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Dominican Republic ranked 68th in the world, basically the equivalent of Thailand.

Certainly richer than Venezuela, for example, but it's also an economy highly reliant about tourism and cheap intensive labor/exports/agriculture and fishing.

If that was your point you didn’t express it very well. And 68th would put them in almost the top third in the world. Not exactly one of the poorest.