MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

53 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When we signed him he wasn’t considered a Top 40 prospect,” Big League Advance CEO Michael Schwimer said about Tatis. “At the time, talking to investors, the amount of money we were offering him was a sizable portion of our bankroll. But we trusted the model (proprietary algorithm forecasting every single minor leaguer’s future MLB earnings.)”

Tatis’s father also played professional baseball, tallying over $18 million in career earnings, according to contract data from Spotrac.

Considering how difficult it is to make it to MLB from the minor leagues, the risk mitigation can be worth it for some athletes to take the quick money — only about 10% of minor leaguers make the big leagues, according to data from MotherJones.

Big League Advance, which was founded by Schwimer in 2016, has investors including mutual-fund manager Bill Miller, former Goldman Sachs GS, +1.53% partner Steven Duncker, former President George W. Bush’s brother Marvin Bush, and Cleveland Browns executive Paul DePodesta (see Moneyball).

Big League Advance gave a total of $26 million to 77 baseball players in 2017, including Tatis.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fernando-tatis-jr-s-340-million-contract-will-be-shared-with-a-firm-that-invested-in-him-as-a-teenager-11613679240

Fwiw, Bill Miller’s Legg Mason Value Trust set the all-time record beating the S&P from 1991-2005, fifteen consecutive years, and made him an investing legend....then crashed so badly in 2007-08 that he basically lost most of his investors and eventually control of LMVTX and LMOPX.

The Major League Baseball Players Association, however, made it clear in a January 2016 memo to player agents that it did not approve of BLA. The memo said the union “categorically” did not endorse or approve of BLA and its products and warned the future earnings the company sought from players were “significant.” 

OH FFS.  STFU MLB.  YOU AREN'T supporting your latin players well enough to someone else stepped into the void (for profit of course, but nothing wrong with capitalism) that you left. MLB could have their own fund for players like this, that are economically disadvantaged but talented enough to warrant an investment on, if they had some more vision.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

OH FFS.  STFU MLB.  YOU AREN'T supporting your latin players well enough to someone else stepped into the void (for profit of course, but nothing wrong with capitalism) that you left. MLB could have their own fund for players like this, that are economically disadvantaged but talented enough to warrant an investment on, if they had some more vision.

To be fair, the MLBPA sent out that statement, not the MLB

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What is wrong with u ? The guy is a teacher. He likes to teach. You can walk out of the classroom if you don't like it without telling the guy to STFU.

Whatever we say about the DR, it is pretty clear most or all of the father’s (Tatis) $17-18 million has been depleted...or he would never have signed with an agency like BLA (similar deals to extract Cubans with buscones, the Puig escape/kidnapping the most famous example of a “future earnings” loan shark approach).  Big family spread across DR and Florida.  That and the fact that he asked for another $10 million in more immediate signing bonus money, although endorsement money is already starting to roll in as well, like video game covers and regional SC promotional deals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

It’s not a loan because players don’t have to pay any back. The company is straight up buying future earning percentage for a one time payment. Not much different from a songwriter selling off royalties. A loan has to be repaid

Well, maybe it feels like the equivalent of a “pre” reverse mortgage...and yeah, Tatis is paying off huge, but the majority of minor leaguers, 90%, never make it for a single pitch or at bat to the majors.   So it’s all supposedly based on this algorithm which somehow identified his potential before Keith Law launched the bandwagon officially.

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

It’s not a loan because players don’t have to pay any back. The company is straight up buying future earning percentage for a one time payment. Not much different from a songwriter selling off royalties. A loan has to be repaid

Also very similar to poker players selling pieces of themselves.

7 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I have no interest trading Vaughn, Kopech or Crochet for him.

Sorry you feel that way.

Let's be sure to remember this in a couple of years when we lose Giolito and we've lost our "window" and these guys possibly don't make a big enough difference because they either don't pan out, have the injuries take their toll, etc. 

It's weird to me that so many people are unwilling to trade unproven players for proven ones.

This is the time we are supposed to be taking some risks to acquire proven winners.  If we are only waiting to take risks when we are iffy then expect the trend of the last 10+ years to continue.

Edited by RagahRagah

19 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Sorry you feel that way.

Let's be sure to remember this in a couple of years when we lose Giolito and we've lost our "window" and these guys possibly don't make a big enough difference because they either don't pan out, have the injuries take their toll, etc. 

It's weird to me that so many people are unwilling to trade unproven players for proven ones.

This is the time we are supposed to be taking some risks to acquire proven winners.  If we are only waiting to take risks when we are iffy then expect the trend of the last 10+ years to continue.

It's a hard choice. Most of us realize how frugal the front office is so we shape our opinions based on that. Keeping the majority of the kids really isone of the only things that gives a Sox a shot at longer term success. Plus people fall in love with prospects. Even an older prospect like Dunning's loss was rued by many here because it was for only 1 year of a pitcher.

Now , myself, I wouldv'e been perfectly fine if anyone offered a nice player for Crochet. Would've had to be a decent starting pitcher with at least 3 years left, with Crochet as the center piece. I will be thrilled if he can keep his arm healthy this year, because I would rather be wrong than right. But even that doesn't get the Sox out of the woods on him. Next year he becomes a starting pitcher with an even bigger innings load.

I also don't believe the Sox can maintain a long run for more than 3 more years. Reinsdorf couldn't even commit any money to this year's team. He just shifted pieces around and hired some new coaches even though a really good team this year maybe gets some fans in the park some time this year and headed into a full year of season tickets and good attendance next year . Of course there will probably be a strike in what looks like it should've been the Sox best year if someone steps up to replace Lynn and Kopech looks good. Keep that payroll down headed into a strike, and the 3 year window goes out the door sabotaged by Covid, labor unrest and JR.

Anything other than that is a risk. The kids can come out of the other side of all that stuff still here . Trading for better players with less time on their contracts just means a higher percent of their time is wasted.

43 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's a hard choice. Most of us realize how frugal the front office is so we shape our opinions based on that. Keeping the majority of the kids really isone of the only things that gives a Sox a shot at longer term success. Plus people fall in love with prospects. Even an older prospect like Dunning's loss was rued by many here because it was for only 1 year of a pitcher.

Now , myself, I wouldv'e been perfectly fine if anyone offered a nice player for Crochet. Would've had to be a decent starting pitcher with at least 3 years left, with Crochet as the center piece. I will be thrilled if he can keep his arm healthy this year, because I would rather be wrong than right. But even that doesn't get the Sox out of the woods on him. Next year he becomes a starting pitcher with an even bigger innings load.

I also don't believe the Sox can maintain a long run for more than 3 more years. Reinsdorf couldn't even commit any money to this year's team. He just shifted pieces around and hired some new coaches even though a really good team this year maybe gets some fans in the park some time this year and headed into a full year of season tickets and good attendance next year . Of course there will probably be a strike in what looks like it should've been the Sox best year if someone steps up to replace Lynn and Kopech looks good. Keep that payroll down headed into a strike, and the 3 year window goes out the door sabotaged by Covid, labor unrest and JR.

Anything other than that is a risk. The kids can come out of the other side of all that stuff still here . Trading for better players with less time on their contracts just means a higher percent of their time is wasted.

I would have hated giving up Crochet if they were going to do the hard work of turning him into a starter.

I would have no problem giving up Crochet if they were going to bury him in the bullpen. 

Welp.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-offseason-grades-yankees-lack-urgency-mets-dodgers-padres-get-high-marks-cubs-red-sox-underwhelm/

B for White Sox, with puzzling TLR hire the main point.   For some reason, poor Hector Rondon and Carlos Rodon keep getting their names mixed up by writers. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Sorry you feel that way.

Once again VAUGHN WILL NOT BE TRADED. He will be extended before he traded. End of discussion 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Sorry you feel that way.

Can you name me 5 starting pitchers that got significantly better when they left Colorado? Everyone always thinks and assumes it happens due to their hitter friendly park and splits.. But it just doesn't.  Hell, I cant even see one and I just looked at their rotations for the past 20 years. The myth of baseball.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

Per MLBTR; The Tigers have agreed to a contract with free-agent right-hander Julio Teheran, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network. It’s a non-guaranteed deal, though Teheran will earn a $3MM base salary if he makes the Tigers’ roster. He could rake in another $1MM in incentives if he starts 20 games for the team.

This vs Sox signing Rodon for same $3 but guaranteed.  Who made the smarter deal?  Or why couldn't the Sox have done the same exact deal with Teheran whether they signed Rodon or not?  How did RH let this happen?  So very frustrating!

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Per MLBTR; The Tigers have agreed to a contract with free-agent right-hander Julio Teheran, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network. It’s a non-guaranteed deal, though Teheran will earn a $3MM base salary if he makes the Tigers’ roster. He could rake in another $1MM in incentives if he starts 20 games for the team.

This vs Sox signing Rodon for same $3 but guaranteed.  Who made the smarter deal?  Or why couldn't the Sox have done the same exact deal with Teheran whether they signed Rodon or not?  How did RH let this happen?  So very frustrating!

Didn't you hear RH? The Sox are so good free agents don't want to come.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Didn't you hear RH? The Sox are so good free agents don't want to come.

Oh yeah, how could I forget!  Probably has that quote bookmarked for easy response. Easier than covering his ears, closing his eyes, and...."LALALALALALALA...."

Geesh! What a sweet deal for Tigers!