MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

11 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

Once again VAUGHN WILL NOT BE TRADED. He will be extended before he traded. End of discussion 

Um, no. That's not the "end" of discussion simply because you want it to be.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Can you name me 5 starting pitchers that got significantly better when they left Colorado? Everyone always thinks and assumes it happens due to their hitter friendly park and splits.. But it just doesn't.  Hell, I cant even see one and I just looked at their rotations for the past 20 years. The myth of baseball.

Does he need to get "better?" He's already a damn good pitcher. Also, assuming something based sheerly on past examples is not logical. 

When people think the best answer is to do nothing then it only solidifies our endless purgatory of struggles to reach our destination AND gives ownership more incentive to stay the same.

Don't you guys realize by now this "contention window" is just a mirage? If you want to say no simply because you know JR won't do it, that's fine. But to actually find reasons not to even if we were willing to is more incentive for things to stay the same. 

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Does he need to get "better?" He's already a damn good pitcher. Also, assuming something based sheerly on past examples is not logical. 

When people think the best answer is to do nothing then it only solidifies our endless purgatory of struggles to reach our destination AND gives ownership more incentive to stay the same.

Don't you guys realize by now this "contention window" is just a mirage? If you want to say no simply because you know JR won't do it, that's fine. But to actually find reasons not to even if we were willing to is more incentive for things to stay the same. 

I think this team looks great right now and we have the money to buy needs if any become necessary.  A little patience is needed to see if Katz has fixed some of these young guys.  By most accounts we have one of the best teams in the AL.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think this team looks great right now and we have the money to buy needs if any become necessary.  A little patience is needed to see if Katz has fixed some of these young guys.  By most accounts we have one of the best teams in the AL.

We already have an assortment of needs we haven't gone after and seemingly won't, lol.

Edited by RagahRagah

50 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Um.. yes, his career 3.85 FIP, isn't enough for me to watch to trade a top prospect.

Interesting ZIPS projection/write-up in FanGraphs on Vaughn, who they rank 90th (vs. 12 by Eric L.).

'One projection certain to disappoint is that of Andrew Vaughn, a player who the White Sox are making noise about promoting aggressively this year. I can’t say for certain if that desire is earnest and not partially a public cover for not going after someone like Nelson Cruz for the team’s DH spot, but ZiPS is not sold at all on Vaughn. ZiPS is aware of his power while at Cal. Indeed, if all it knew was Vaughn’s sub-.450 slugging debut while not being young for A-ball, he would not have come anywhere near this list'.

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

"The front offices today, you get into your 30s, you are not getting paid on what you did a couple of years ago,'' Plouffe said. "You are getting paid on projections. And if the projections say you are declining, you're not getting one of those spots on a 40-man roster.

Unless you're the Chicago White Sox. Sadly, Rick Hahn has not read the memo, and Tony only adds to this trend with his "sign old guys I remember" edict. The four year deals will likely come back to haunt the team at the time they could most use the cash to keep their younger core beyond current deals / years of control. You extend Lynn, and you have four declining guys in their mid 30s taking half of the team's current payroll.

$6M + AAV Chicago White Sox External Free Agent Signings the past two off-seasons:

1. Ages 32-35 $18.5M Dallas Keuchel fWAR 2.1 (2020) (2021 & 2022 + possible 2023 vesting)
  2. Ages 31-34 $18.3M Yasmani Grandal fWAR 0.8 (2020) (2021-2023)
  3. Ages 32-35 $13.5M Liam Hendriks (2021-2024)
  4. Age 37 $12.0M Edwin Encarnacion fWAR -0.3 (2020)
  5. Age 32 $8.0M Adam Eaton (2021)
  6. Age 34 $6.0M Steve Cishek fWAR -0.2 (2020)

6 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Because Rodon was our opening day starter a couple of years ago, is lefty and has TOR stuff if he can stay healthy? 

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

Oh!  Those seem like good reasons.🙂

7 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

For a free tryout?  Are you serious?  Why would a contending team want Rodon for $3m?

7 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Um, why would a contending team want Julio Tehran?

So, does anyone here want to go on record saying Rodon will have a better year than Teherán?

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

So, does anyone here want to go on record saying Rodon will have a better year than Teherán?

Rodon still has at least some upside.  Tehran is 89 with no plus pitches.  That’s why he was literally the worst starter in the A.L. last year.  Not gonna guarantee Rodon is any good, but I would be shocked if Tehran is.

7 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

Using Santana as your benchmark, it means Teheran has >6 high quality years left.  I'd say that's worth a free look.  Thanks for proving my point. 

If you're pissing your pants on the Sox not trying to sign Teheran (or any other washed up pitcher for that matter), then your big picture look at things are completely out of focus.

That's my point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Rodon still has at least some upside.  Tehran is 89 with no plus pitches.  That’s why he was literally the worst starter in the A.L. last year.  Not gonna guarantee Rodon is any good, but I would be shocked if Tehran is.

Fair enough. So, given what you said about Teheran, will Rodon have the better season?

4 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Why would we be afraid?  You dont get bonus points for being pessimistic.  

Just asking for those of you defending Rodon if you think Rodon will have a better year than Teheran is all.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe rephrase the question to say who you think will suck less.

Okay, rephrased, who will suck less?