MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

And yet Paxton's strikeout % did not see declines that correspond to these metrics, he still struck out nearly 29% of his batters. In 2016 that was 22%.

You can be worried that paxton will not stay healthy, because he probably will not stay healthy. If he was "topping out" at 94 in mid december after recovering I am not worried about that at all.

• Like 2

Dodgers, Tommy Kahnle Agree To Two-Year Deal

https://www.mlb.com/news/tommy-kahnle-deal-with-dodgers

Projects to return in 2022 after August TJS. Kahnle's contract will pay him $750,000 in 2021, $3.45 million in 2022, plus a $550,000 signing bonus, per a source. It also includes $750,000 in potential performance bonuses in 2022.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

And yet Paxton's strikeout % did not see declines that correspond to these metrics, he still struck out nearly 29% of his batters. In 2016 that was 22%.

You can be worried that paxton will not stay healthy, because he probably will not stay healthy. If he was "topping out" at 94 in mid december after recovering I am not worried about that at all.

You can't be worried about both? 

after seeing the QOS decline in 2020+the injuries it's now a hard pass on Paxton for me. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

after seeing the QOS decline in 2020+the injuries it's now a hard pass on Paxton for me. 

you make sweeping declarations after seeing single data points and I find it an exhausting way to live.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

You don't think that the injuries are the exact reason his stuff declined?  It seems like a really obvious theory that if he is healthy, his stuff should also come back.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You don't think that the injuries are the exact reason his stuff declined?  It seems like a really obvious theory that if he is healthy, his stuff should also come back.

That makes a lot of sense to me. If he was hurt, which he was, and tried pitching through it, his stuff shouldn't be anywhere near his norms, which it wasn't in 2020. If he's working his way back from surgery, he's probably not topping out at max velo at this juncture, as he's building back up strength & what not. I think it'd be way more alarming if it said he was hitting 89 or something.

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

That makes a lot of sense to me. If he was hurt, which he was, and tried pitching through it, his stuff shouldn't be anywhere near his norms, which it wasn't in 2020. If he's working his way back from surgery, he's probably not topping out at max velo at this juncture, as he's building back up strength & what not. I think it'd be way more alarming if it said he was hitting 89 or something.

This is how I would approach it.  If the guy it hitting 94 in the middle of the offseason, that is probably a solid indication he has a few more MPH as he ramps up.  Seems like a good sign to me.

• Like 1

Boston signs Matt Andriese to a 1 yr plus team year 2 option.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/red-sox-sign-matt-andriese.html

Matt Andriese is guaranteed $1.85MM in 2021 plus at least a $250K buyout on a $3.5MM option for the 2022 season, tweets Alex Speier of the Boston Globe. He can earn up to $500K worth of incentives each season if he tops 150 innings, and his 2022 salary would rise by $1MM if he hits that mark in 2021.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting if true...seems to suggest we should have more money to work with than what the current rumors are hinting at.

I've heard this story before. Make an offer and wait for another team to get our guy. If this is indeed true, there is no reason that we can't sign Brantley. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting if true...seems to suggest we should have more money to work with than what the current rumors are hinting at.

I will believe they will sign the better players when they actually sign players. We knew they were out on Springer when they signed Eaton. Just business as usual, always trying to get by on the cheap. I wonder if they will tell us like with Machado, their offer was much better, but they can’t afford what he ultimately signed for.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I will believe they will sign the better players when they actually sign players. We knew they were out on Springer when they signed Eaton. Just business as usual, always trying to get by on the cheap.

I’m not suggesting they will go sign Bauer or anything like that, but perhaps they have the budget to sign Hendriks, a halfway decent starter for the #4 spot, and some sort of left-handed bat.  Where I get nervous is adding Hendriks potentially tapping us financially and then being forced to go real cheap with a back-end starter and not adding another bat.  If they were prepared to spend $25M/per on Springer, I’m hopeful there is more budget than they’re letting on.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not suggesting they will go sign Bauer or anything like that, but perhaps they have the budget to sign Hendriks, a halfway decent starter for the #4 spot, and some sort of left-handed bat.  Where I get nervous is adding Hendriks potentially tapping us financially and then being forced to go real cheap with a back-end starter and not adding another bat.  If they were prepared to spend $25M/per on Springer, I’m hopeful there is more budget than they’re letting on.

It’s just so sad this guy runs his teams like the Marlins. Even the Bulls, he won’t pay the luxury tax.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/jerry-reinsdorf/?sh=24c916e76d28

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s just so sad this guy runs his teams like the Marlins. Even the Bulls, he won’t pay the luxury tax.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/jerry-reinsdorf/?sh=24c916e76d28

100% agree.  It’s amazing how he puts mitigating  financial risk over building up his product.  It’s going to be so weird when we finally have a new owner whose primary goal is winning and who is willing to take some short-term losses while the window is open.

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they were prepared to spend $25M/per on Springer, I’m hopeful there is more budget than they’re letting on.

They were not. It’s all smoke and mirrors. 

I’m laughing at the thought it Reinsdorf spending big money on a player. I’ll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime, let’s prepare ourselves for more bargain bin signings. Mitch Moreland will probably be the big lefty bat we sign. 

• Like 1