MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

He settled cheap.

I really don't understand why the Padres would do this. It makes no financial sense.  They already have him cheap and under control for 5 more years. Unless the 320 mill is a exaggeration.  Robert's is 88 mill with the options. Acuna's is 100 mill. Maybe the real offer is closer to 120 million?

3 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I really don't understand why the Padres would do this. It makes no financial sense.  They already have him cheap and under control for 5 more years. Unless the 320 mill is a exaggeration.  Robert's is 88 mill with the options. Acuna's is 100 mill. Maybe the real offer is closer to 120 million?

He's already got 2 years down. He's got one cheap year left before arb, so we are talking about 7 free agent years starting when he is 25.  Trout got 35 a year for his FA years in his last deal. Cole averaged 36. 7 years at 36 per works out to 252 million. Build in a little bit of inflation to make it 40 mil a year at 2025 and that is 280 mil.  

8 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

I know he was once desirable (first year), but I hesitate at giving up near anything for him and his 2020 -0.2 WAR. Where’s the need? I would hope we are only trading for pitching at this point. 

Yeah, this ship sailed when Eaton was signed.

12 hours ago, smellysox said:

Padres have him for 4 more years. They would be paying for 7 years of free agency, which he could enter at the age of what, 25? Gotta offer an instance amount now to keep him if you think he will continue to be a star.

Edited by manbearpuig

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Kind of like our own Gordon Beckham.  Looked great when he came up...then nothing.

Ah, I remember the days when Soxtalk wanted Benitendi more than anything and took the Red Sox trading us Moncada instead as a sign that something wasn't kosher.