MLB 2020-21 off season catch all

southsider2k5

Honestly, Twins don't scare me at all even with Nelson Cruz.

Their SP staff low-key blows. Maeda ain't holding up over a full season, Berrios is nice, but he's no #1, and the rest is hot garbage.

Their RP core got weaker with losing May. 

Their offense is only a shell of what it was compared to how it entered the 2020 season. People thought their offense would be insane, and it turned out to be mediocre at best. Their older guys (donaldson/cruz) will be older, they lost Eddie Rosario. Doesn't scare me at all.

13 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I did forget, but mostly because we have Eaton.  I'd love him for DH/LF.  Have you heard anything?  Didn't you have sources?

Yes I have sources, but no I have not heard anything about Joc. I just saw his name pop up recently and was trying to remember where he signed and then I realized he still hasn't signed.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Wonder if Q was passed over because TLDR. Likely. 

I’d say it was more of the opposite. Quintana wanted to sign with a manager he liked and could trust.

Quintana, like every player except possibly Keuchel, likes Ricky Renteria, and he likes Joe Maddon. Only one option was available in 2021.

Quintana also liked Cooper, so he really had no ties left in the Sox clubhouse. Not sure if the Sox even gave him an offer, but they should of. Definitely a much better option then TLDR’s fucking 40 year old Adam Wainwright option, a pitcher his own team either doesn’t want or doesn’t want beyond a cheap take it or leave it offer.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

40 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’d say it was more of the opposite. Quintana wanted to sign with a manager he liked and could trust.

Quintana, like every player except possibly Keuchel, likes Ricky Renteria, and he likes Joe Maddon. Only one option was available in 2021.

Quintana also liked Cooper, so he really had no ties left in the Sox clubhouse. Not sure if the Sox even gave him an offer, but they should of. Definitely a much better option then TLDR’s fucking 40 year old Adam Wainwright option, a pitcher his own team either doesn’t want or doesn’t want beyond a cheap take it or leave it offer.

Wrong.  I believe it's noted that Quintana wanted to come back.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I think he took his best offer.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Wrong.  I believe it's noted that Quintana wanted to come back.

As opposed to posting the I am wrong without anything other than “a belief”, can you link an actual quote or statement by Quintana or his agent regarding interest in returning?  

I never came across confirmed interest by either side.

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think he took his best offer.

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I think Q took a deal with a team where he would be easily guaranteed a rotation spot all year.  The Sox would have had to offer actual money in order for him to forego a much better opportunity to reposition himself for the 2021-22 FA market.

I agree with these two takes. I would have liked the Sox to have made an offer.

My point is, if the offers were similar, Q would take the situation he would be more comfortable. I don’t believe La Russa vetoed it as stated in the post I was responding to. If Tony did veto an offer, than Tony should shut his 200 year old ass up, as folks say in the Twitter world.

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevestone/status/1354258105375232000

19 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I think Q took a deal with a team where he would be easily guaranteed a rotation spot all year.  The Sox would have had to offer actual money in order for him to forego a much better opportunity to reposition himself for the 2021-22 FA market.

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

As opposed to posting the I am wrong without anything other than “a belief”, can you link an actual quote or statement by Quintana or his agent regarding interest in returning?  

I never came across confirmed interest by either side.

I agree with these two takes. I would have liked the Sox to have made an offer.

My point is, if the offers were similar, Q would take the situation he would be more comfortable. I don’t believe La Russa vetoed it as stated in the post I was responding to. If Tony did veto an offer, than Tony should shut his 200 year old ass up, as folks say in the Twitter world.

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevestone/status/1354258105375232000

The Sox aren't going to promise him a starting rotation spot all year.  That instantly puts the Sox as playing from behind.

• Like 1

O'Day signed by the Yankees with a creative 2022 option, and luxury tax impact.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/yankees-sign-darren-oday.html

12:48pm: O’Day receives a $1.75MM salary for the upcoming season and has a $1.4MM player option with a $700K buyout, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. He’ll actually make the first decision, and if he opts for the buyout, the Yankees then have a $3.15MM club option over the righty.

Technically, because O’Day is guaranteed this year’s $1.75MM salary and that $1.4MM player option, one could call this a $3.15MM guarantee over a two-year term. However, since only the buyout is technically factored into the guarantee under the luxury tax, it’s a one-year, $2.45MM deal for luxury purposes. Ultimately, if O’Day pitches well enough to decline that player option but still have the club option exercised, it seems he can earn a total of $5.6MM between 2021-22.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox aren't going to promise him a starting rotation spot all year.  That instantly puts the Sox as playing from behind.

Then just pay the man. Only 1 of these teams has Pujols's contract in the way. 1 year, $10 million would not have been a bad contract for the White Sox.

• Like 1