Pitching Coach and Bench Coach

SoxBlanco

41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He wanted to hire Hinch so he would have control over him and complete control of the dugout.  That's the power play. 

I wonder if at some point the White Sox front office started this "search" by eliminating both Hinch and Cora due to their Houston issues. I find it strange Hinch never even got an interview. Or JR decided before the season ended that it would be TLR and there was only one candidate being considered. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I wonder if at some point the White Sox front office started this "search" by eliminating both Hinch and Cora due to their Houston issues. I find it strange Hinch never even got an interview. Or JR decided before the season ended that it would be TLR and there was only one candidate being considered. 

They talked to Hinch.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Certainly do hope so...manager in waiting.  An analytical bench coach should help TL and be mentored under a HOF manager seems fairly smart.

I would love this...regardless I hope the staff is top notch, curious who will join it, but having a young, up and coming bench coach would make a ton of sense

There's some good internal options like Zaleski for PC or Jirschele for BC, but there's also plenty outside like Espada from HOU

I saw Willie Harris got an interview, he'd be interesting BC as well

55 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

If the Sox hire more progressive, young coaches, it will make hiring LaRussa more bearable to me. But if we hire retreads, this will set the organization back. 

If I’m Hahn, I’m pushing to keep Menechino, Coolbaugh, & Hasler in their current roles.  I’d also be pushing for Zaleski as pitching coach and a younger guy of my choice as bench coach and future successor (Jirschele, Fuld, etc).  That leaves the 1B & 3B coaching roles for Tony’s buddies.  Seems like a fair compromise given how fucked Hahn got here.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I’m Hahn, I’m pushing to keep Menechino, Coolbaugh, & Hasler in their current roles.  I’d also be pushing for Zaleski as pitching coach and a younger guy of my choice as bench coach and future successor (Jirschele, Fuld, etc).  That leaves the 1B & 3B coaching roles for Tony’s buddies.  Seems like a fair compromise given how fucked Hahn got here.

Absolutely. Hahn picking the BC is critical. It needs to be viewed as a grooming opportunity for a young manager that will take over when TLR leaves. It can't just be TLR picking one of his pals for his staff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is what I want. But Harold already said that Tony will be bringing in his own people. And we're probably not going to like it. Either way we will probably know the fallout pretty soon and who the new staff is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't give a crap about a grooming opportunity. I just don't want the gains our player dev department has made to get shut out of the coaching of the players.

Yeah that makes no sense to me.  They're trying to win now who gives a shit about grooming a manager.  The obsession with this Jirshele guy is really weird.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Reinsdorf never would have allowed RR and especially Cooper to be dismissed if he didn’t know that the replacement was going to be his buddy. Remember how we were all surprised they actually removed RR because it was so unlike them? This is the other half of the explanation. They interviewed Willie Harris to check the diversity box and did what JR decided months ago. He didn’t even let his assistant GM in on the gag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yeah that makes no sense to me.  They're trying to win now who gives a shit about grooming a manager.  The obsession with this Jirshele guy is really weird.  

I guess I care more about it from a coaching continuity standpoint than a grooming opportunity. What I don't want to see is for TLR to implement his enitre staff and then hang it up in 2 seasons and have to start from scratch.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree with all of this 100%.  Hopefully that was already discussed.  I will be much happier with TLR if the replacement is in the dugout as the bench coach.

• Like 1