Pitching Coach and Bench Coach

SoxBlanco

McEwing and LaRussa were very tight when McEwing played in St Louis.  LaRussa has commented a few times that McEwing should be a major league manager.  Would bet McEwing stays on as bench coach.  But I think Jirschele makes better sense if he is truly seen as the manager of the future.  Might serve as a bit of a buffer if some players don't click with TLR.

2 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

McEwing and LaRussa were very tight when McEwing played in St Louis.  LaRussa has commented a few times that McEwing should be a major league manager.  Would bet McEwing stays on as bench coach.  But I think Jirschele makes better sense if he is truly seen as the manager of the future.  Might serve as a bit of a buffer if some players don't click with TLR.

I hope McEwing stays on too.  He's Tim's guy. The name I heard is Jose Oquendo.  He's a great coach and a legend with latin players.  Makes all the sense in the world.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worth considering:

TLDR will not be fired from this job as long as JR is in charge. If an up and coming manager is on his staff, and TLDR did not say “next year will be my last year” on the day after the World Series, said managerial prospect will probably jump at any opportunity to coach elsewhere because they might not get the chance here any time soon.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oneofthemikes said:

Absolutely. Hahn picking the BC is critical. It needs to be viewed as a grooming opportunity for a young manager that will take over when TLR leaves. It can't just be TLR picking one of his pals for his staff. 

I wonder what role Tony’s Veterinarian pal will have with the White Sox.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30220736/why-tony-la-russa-sincerely-curious-choice-white-sox-manager 

In November 2014, six months after the Arizona Diamondbacks named Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa their chief baseball officer, the organization announced that it had hired Dr. Ed Lewis as its first director of baseball analytics and research. His experience in the field was nonexistent. His doctorate was in veterinary medicine. Lewis came to the Diamondbacks because he possessed a quality far more important than developing algorithms or building models: For 35 years, he had been Tony La Russa's friend.

The hiring of Lewis prompted snickers around the game. At the time La Russa was stripped of power three years into the job, the Diamondbacks had gone 212-274. His handpicked GM, old friend Dave Stewart, had been fired. Lewis was replaced.

Cronyism in the game is as old as the spitball, and an inner circle of powerful men -- they're all men -- has spent decades in the game fomenting it. When they want something, they tend to get it.

• Like 2