Who would you have hired?

South Side Hit Men

Who would you have hired?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have hired as manager?

• Tony LaRussa - Pictured on the press release
    • A. J. Hinch - Signature on the press release
    • Other

I didn’t want to start the thread with my choice, but I selected other. Joe Espada, if available, would have been my first choice, at least to interview. I would have conducted a broad search, and let the interviews combined with prior experience dictate the hire. I agree @SouthWallace at minimum there should have been a thorough and legitimate managerial search. 

Have to go back to either Ozzie or Jerry Manuel as the last time the White Sox conducted a legitimate search of multiple external candidates. At minimum, an extended search gives you ideas outside of the organization.

Hahn stated the search would not be insular during the Renteria firing press conference, which was obviously not the case.

Disappointed, but not surprised, because this team was always run as a fiefdom vs. a legitimate professional organization. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

I would have done a legitimate managerial search and chosen the best candidate - not begged a troglodyte to come out of retirement for the comfortable nepotism hire.

At least we were spared the extended dog and pony show. Instead we received a hall of fame manager in minutes.

My official order is 

Bochy

Hinch

TLR

Based on true options. TLR and Hahn both said he wad other job opportunities and turned them down. So clearly this was an opportunity they felt they needed to take. Hahn wasn't nearly as mad as people made it out to be. He clearly wanted another guy but fell in line because TLR is a great manager. I think Kenny wanted TLR as well, so the racial aspect was alleviated. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

At least we were spared the extended dog and pony show. Instead we received a hall of fame manager in minutes.

Which is still an indictment of the process.  

This roster deserves the best available manager.  The Sox did not hire the best available manager.  They didn’t even try. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I voted for Larussa to piss people off even more.  

Drake LaRoche may have been a better candidate, despite his lack of postseason experience when he last managed the White Sox.

The New York Mets are grateful to relinquish their top spot as MLB / Professional Sports laughingstock.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

My official order is 

Bochy

Hinch

TLR

Based on true options. TLR and Hahn both said he wad other job opportunities and turned them down. So clearly this was an opportunity they felt they needed to take. Hahn wasn't nearly as mad as people made it out to be. He clearly wanted another guy but fell in line because TLR is a great manager. I think Kenny wanted TLR as well, so the racial aspect was alleviated. 

Your official order is the way I had it as well.  I am not nearly as despondent as most here.  Any of the 3 would have been a major upgrade IMO.

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Which is still an indictment of the process.  

This roster deserves the best available manager.  The Sox did not hire the best available manager.  They didn’t even try. 

I agree they didn't hire the best available. If they immediately zeroed in on Bochy for example would you feel the same way about a search?

But is there one best manager available and every team should be looking at that one individual or do you believe that multiple teams could each be looking at a different person and each selecting their best choice? 

I'm thinking more about the process than the result. I honestly wouldn't have questioned the process if it resulted in one of my top three picks. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I agree they didn't hire the best available. If they immediately zeroed in on Bochy for example would you feel the same way about a search?

But is there one best manager available and every team should be looking at that one individual or do you believe that multiple teams could each be looking at a different person and each selecting their best choice? 

I'm thinking more about the process than the result. I honestly wouldn't have questioned the process if it resulted in one of my top three picks. 

Rick Hahn flat out said they didn't interview everyone he wanted after JR went to TLR.

I'm thinking in more general terms. Is there one best manager available and every team should hire him or is one guy perfect there and a different guy is the best for over there? 

Thinking in a different sport, are there Doug Collins builders and Phil Jackson finishers? 

And if they went with a hot name would we even really care?