Who would you have hired?

South Side Hit Men

Who would you have hired?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have hired as manager?

• Tony LaRussa - Pictured on the press release
    • A. J. Hinch - Signature on the press release
    • Other

14 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I didn’t want to start the thread with my choice, but I selected other. Joe Espada, if available, would have been my first choice, at least to interview. I would have conducted a broad search, and let the interviews combined with prior experience dictate the hire. I agree @SouthWallace at minimum there should have been a thorough and legitimate managerial search. 

Have to go back to either Ozzie or Jerry Manuel as the last time the White Sox conducted a legitimate search of multiple external candidates. At minimum, an extended search gives you ideas outside of the organization.

Hahn stated the search would not be insular during the Renteria firing press conference, which was obviously not the case.

Disappointed, but not surprised, because this team was always run as a fiefdom vs. a legitimate professional organization. 

I haven't had much use for Hahn but now I actually feel bad for him. 

I was looking for someone who was going to reflect the coming of age for a very talented team.

This hire is not Hahn's vision.

Clearly this was Reinsdorf pulling rank.  

As Bernstein said this hiring amounted to nothing more than an attempt of  "righting an (perceived) ancient wrong".

Frankly, TLR had played out in Chicago.

Did I just hear "You gotta be bleeping me" in the wind?

LOL

Edited by GradMc
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Hurdles an old school guy. He knows how to incorporate analytics, but he doesnt follow them blindly like so many new breed managers do. Hes a lot like TLR in that way. 

not sure there was a single team in the league that followed analytics to a fault more than the pittsburgh pirates. See how your boy Kevin Cash was able to turn Tyler Glasnow from a failure in pitt to an ace by not ignoring his strengths that were apparent by looking at him, and not forcing him to throw two seamers to suppress home runs.

Just now, bmags said:

not sure there was a single team in the league that followed analytics to a fault more than the pittsburgh pirates. See how your boy Kevin Cash was able to turn Tyler Glasnow from a failure in pitt to an ace by not ignoring his strengths that were apparent by looking at him, and not forcing him to throw two seamers to suppress home runs.

There are very few analytics adherents preaching two seamers.  

glasnows issues also werent his pitch makeup but his lack of control, something he still struggles with

As others have said, a comparative, competitive process in hiring allows an org to gain insight into their OWN processes, as well as industry standards, as well as finding the right person for the job. [Note the order in which these things were listed in the previous sentence.]

They didn't even try to do a search. As usual.

Had they interviewed TLR, Bochy, Hinch, Cora, Alomar, Quatraro, and hell, even Ozzie, they could have gotten a better sense of where THEY are as an org, and where other industry leaders are as well. But they didn't. Which will fvkc up this org about 10 different ways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

As others have said, a comparative, competitive process in hiring allows an org to gain insight into their OWN processes, as well as industry standards, as well as finding the right person for the job. [Note the order in which these things were listed in the previous sentence.]

Had they interviewed TLR, Bochy, Hinch, Cora, Alomar, Quatraro, and hell, even Ozzie, they could have gotten a better sense of where THEY are as an org, and where other industry leaders are as well. But they didn't. Which will fvkc up this org about 10 different ways. 

That's the thing, I actually had a huge range of candidates or types I was ok with. But what I wanted was organizational cohesion. This was the opposite of that.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

...and going through a real, or at least real-looking, process would have been so easy.  And then they could have hired TLR at the end and gotten the buy-in of a lot more fans and players.  That they didn't even go through the minimal effort required to add some level of legitimacy to the processis the reason this is such a middle finger to the fans and team.  Moreso than the TLR hire itself. 

6 hours ago, GradMc said:

I haven't had much use for Hahn but now I actually feel bad for him. 

I was looking for someone who was going to reflect the coming of age for a very talented team.

This hire is not Hahn's vision.

Clearly this was Reinsdorf pulling rank.  

As Bernstein said this hiring amounted to nothing more than an attempt of  "righting an (perceived) ancient wrong".

Frankly, TLR had played out in Chicago.

Did I just hear "You gotta be bleeping me" in the wind?

LOL

Nothing Bernstein say's is worth a crap.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vulture said:

I wouldn't have considered Hinch, Cora or LaRussa

And this surprisingly is where you , me and the majority of the board who voted feels. Many of us cannot say who we would hire but we know who we wouldn't hire. You want the transition to a new manager to be as smooth as possible. To accomplish this you eliminate controversial figures, therefore, no LaRussa, Hinch or Cora. After that you start the interview process with Bochy, Alomar, Quatraro and whoever else you are supposed to interview per league mandate and who fit the criteria that Hahn laid out in his initial press conference after firing RR.

Let everything run its course. Show you took the time necessary to make a wise decision to make a high percentage of your players, organization and fans applaud the decision and the process.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bmags said:

That's the thing, I actually had a huge range of candidates or types I was ok with. But what I wanted was organizational cohesion. This was the opposite of that.

And if it wasn't - they completely mismanaged the process to imply that it was a cluster.  Or let the media spin get out of control. 100% agree with you.  I felt like so many blew up on TLR - the issue here was the fundamental process that they went through. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I haven’t said much about any of this. I’m trying hard to look at the positive of it. But I seems like we have a lot of brand new genesis but still bought the Hyundai.

Also released during Tony LaRussa's tenure with the White Sox. I feel like Martha Quinn tonight.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

On 10/29/2020 at 7:55 PM, SouthWallace said:

Which is still an indictment of the process.  

This roster deserves the best available manager.  The Sox did not hire the best available manager.  They didn’t even try. 

No one knows who the best available manager would have been...we just have opinions.  That's the fun of being a fan being able to pontificate from the cheap seats.

36 minutes ago, zisk said:

Terry Francona. I still think it will happen when his contract is up. After that, JR and TLR can watch the games together upstairs.

I would've offered the Indians 1 million dollars for his contract and then extended him immediately. 

• Like 1

Absolutely love the hire. TLR probably was my first choice, up their with Bochy. Hoping that the White Sox hire A.J. Pierzynski as Bench Coach to be groomed for when La Russa retires. A.J. has always been such a bright baseball mind. 3-4 years learning how to manage under La Russa could be really fantastic.

• Like 2