This means sox will be active in free agency

jaws7575

One good thing about this move the White Sox made, they will be players in the off season and free agency. I do not see Jerry bringing back Tony to lose---they will be spending money and adding  missing  parts to the team.  Jerry is going to give  Tony what he needs to get to the top of the mountain with the White Sox-he is all in. I think Jerry did not hire Tony to lose, he will be wanting to make a point with this hire. This might be a good sign from the top.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, jaws7575 said:

One good thing about this move the White Sox made, they will be players in the off season and free agency. I do not see Jerry bringing back Tony to lose---they will be spending money and adding  missing  parts to the team.  Jerry is going to give  Tony what he needs to get to the top of the mountain with the White Sox-he is all in. I think Jerry did not hire Tony to lose, he will be wanting to make a point with this hire. This might be a good sign from the top.

Let's not get too carried away. If anything this hire may have elite difference makers continuing to look elsewhere. 

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jaws7575 said:

This is still a business. It is safe to say teams will lose money this year especially w attendance, game day spending, gear and advertising. Owners may have much tighter budgets for 21/22 until fans and the economy recovers. 

6 hours ago, jaws7575 said:

I agree with this.  I thought Reinsdorf was setting up a quiet off season with the commentshe made a few months ago but this hire changes that. I'm not saying he's going to go bananas and have a $200M+ payroll but I now think he's going to spend the money neccessary to upgrade the roster where it needs upgrading.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, knightni said:

One thing about LaRussa, he encourages old veterans to be on his 25 man throughout his managing career.

Although he also discarded prestigious vets that declined and felt they deserved a spot. He plays favorites, so not any vet will do.

And unfortunately in the 2000s a lot of older players seemed to be able to keep it going longer. Now there is basically Nelson Cruz and everybody else.

Just now, knightni said:

Somehow, huh. 

(Psst. I'm hinting at PEDs) *wink* *wink*

I definitely think that's a part, but I also think the other part is the increase of velocity in pitching and talent finally catching up to the mass expansion from the 90s.

JR was crying about financial losses only a few months ago, I just don't see a spending spree coming.  Will there bill offseason additions, yet but I don't see the Sox spending for Bauer, Springer, etc.  Honestly I don't think they have to either.  They have many pieces in place and no team (even the Dodgers) is perfect in every category, they just need to make smart signings.  Address SP and bullpen needs via ufa or trades.  

Also just for fun, I think Bauer lands with the Angels.  Arte Moreno keeps on striking out on the high priced pitchers, eventually he's going to land one of them by giving them the farm.  They came in 2nd for Cole last year, I think they land Bauer this year.  Can't keep on wasting Trout's prime.