Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most

soxfan49

"Even in what is supposed to be a tight-fisted market, most clubs want to add starting pitching and a few such as the Blue Jays, Giants and White Sox are expected to be a little bolder financially than others."

Let us all hope this is true.  With all of the names hitting free agency the Sox could fill out their roster nicely with some quality, even if on short term deals.

Edited by SouthWallace

After the backlash the team is getting, from the fans and media alike, from this managerial hiring, they better be more than "just a little" bolder financially. They better be very bold. While also being smart with their signings.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

After the backlash the team is getting, from the fans and media alike, from this managerial hiring, they better be more than "just a little" bolder financially. They better be very bold. While also being smart with their signings.

Go all in, sign the best of who is out there, win a ring, LaRussa retires and we never have to think about this debacle again.  That might salvage this moment.😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Jerry put his balls on the table hiring TLR. I am okay with it if he backs it up. I think TLR can manage and will grow to become a solid leader here. Jerry's reputation is on the line and he will need to build a champion quickly. I think Jerry will want to prove people wrong and go all out to finish this rebuild. TLR is also a big voice, so I'm sure he is gonna let Jerry have it if Jerry isn't spending. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Jerry put his balls on the table hiring TLR. I am okay with it if he backs it up. I think TLR can manage and will grow to become a solid leader here. Jerry's reputation is on the line and he will need to build a champion quickly. I think Jerry will want to prove people wrong and go all out to finish this rebuild. TLR is also a big voice, so I'm sure he is gonna let Jerry have it if Jerry isn't spending. 

Yep!  I think this is how it will play out.

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I wish I had your optimism bro. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

In my experience the older one gets, the less they're concerned about their reputation. By the time a person gets into their late eighties, the concern is rapidly approaching zero. Whatever motivation is left is primarily personal. Generally speaking of course.

4 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Go all in, sign the best of who is out there, win a ring, LaRussa retires and we never have to think about this debacle again.  That might salvage this moment.😂

Sounds like a plan to me.

But who knows what the real reason was to bring this out-of-touch fossil back.

Edited by GradMc
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

In my experience the older one gets, the less they're concerned about their reputation. By the time a person gets into their late eighties, the concern is rapidly approaching zero. Whatever motivation is left is primarily personal. Generally speaking of course.

This doesn't apply to Jerry. He wants one last bang. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

At his age, probably on the floor...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Is Jerry really going to open the checkbook even more because Hahn "agreed" to make La Russa the manager? We all have to hope. 

Hahn should offer to bring in Gar Forman for an upper management roll. That may earn an extra 5m in payroll courtesy of Mr. Reinsdorf.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Is Jerry really going to open the checkbook even more because Hahn "agreed" to make La Russa the manager? We all have to hope. 

Hahn should offer to bring in Gar Forman for an upper management roll. That may earn an extra 5m in payroll courtesy of Mr. Reinsdorf.

I know you’re joking, but I don’t think Jerry was close with Gar, that was Michael Reinsdorf.

20 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Jerry's reputation is on the line ? I'd have to know what that reputation is before I could declare it's on the line. If I had to venture a guess as to his established reputation, I'd say he is a very smart man, loves baseball and is loyal but loves being smart with money more. The Sox losing more than they win is an already established pattern in his ownership. I doubt a few more years of that pattern will sully his reputation in the rest of his time left .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1