Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most

soxfan49

58 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Bold is signing Bauer AND Stroman AND Springer.  Or replacing one of those with an elite trade.  

That’s how you piss all over the AL

My video game offseason Bauer + Stroman + Lemahieu FA. 

Trade Cease + Madrigal + Stiever + Lopez + Collins + Adolfo for Yelich and Hader. 

Yes I said video game. Holy shit that team tho. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Trade Cease + Madrigal + Stiever + Lopez + Collins + Adolfo for Yelich and Hader. 

Damn I wish this became reality 😍

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Milwaukee isn't accepting that trade. We don't jave enough money to add Yelich, Bauer, Stroman,and DJ. 

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Milwaukee isn't accepting that trade. We don't jave enough money to add Yelich, Bauer, Stroman,and DJ. 

Lol I said video game trade. Obviously it’s not realistic monetarily. 

I don’t think the trade is HORRIBLE though - no ELITE prospects, but that’s 6 cheap MLB ready or very close players with 5-6 years of control each, sans Lopez. Brewers would obviously want Vaughn and probably even ask about Robert. Maybe replace Dunning with Lopez and it’s a step closer to maybe something Stearns would accept if he was baked enough. 

Edited by ChiSox59

On 10/31/2020 at 2:00 PM, ScooterMcGee said:

After the backlash the team is getting, from the fans and media alike, from this managerial hiring, they better be more than "just a little" bolder financially. They better be very bold. While also being smart with their signings.

Great post and I wholeheartedly agree with this

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2020 at 12:52 PM, SouthWallace said:

"Even in what is supposed to be a tight-fisted market, most clubs want to add starting pitching and a few such as the Blue Jays, Giants and White Sox are expected to be a little bolder financially than others.”

But will Tony think it’s sincere? 

On 10/31/2020 at 1:00 PM, ScooterMcGee said:

After the backlash the team is getting, from the fans and media alike, from this managerial hiring, they better be more than "just a little" bolder financially. They better be very bold. While also being smart with their signings.

It won't matter. People will still cry that he is a bad fit even with big signings and a championship. 

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Jerry's reputation is on the line ? I'd have to know what that reputation is before I could declare it's on the line. If I had to venture a guess as to his established reputation, I'd say he is a very smart man, loves baseball and is loyal but loves being smart with money more. The Sox losing more than they win is an already established pattern in his ownership. I doubt a few more years of that pattern will sully his reputation in the rest of his time left .

Two or three championships would greatly enhance that reputation and the value of the franchise.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why though?  I could see Marcus Stroman having reservations, but most of these guys are going to go where the money is, especially in this economic environment.

Some people on here have convinced themselves TLR is the boogeyman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would a big free agent stay away from this team?

Lol.

We signed 2 of Machado's buddies to try to sway him to sign with us instead of just paying him. That ALONE answers your question.

But then we can add the fact that Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault and has hired a lot of the wrong people and now he's basically hired a 76 year-old who hasn't managed i 10 years as a favor for guilt.

We offered Wheeler the most money and he still didn't sign.

This all speaks volumes about this team.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Lol.

We signed 2 of Machado's buddies to try to sway him to sign with us instead of just paying him. That ALONE answers your question.

But then we can add the fact that Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault and has hired a lot of the wrong people and now he's basically hired a 76 year-old who hasn't managed i 10 years as a favor for guilt.

We offered Wheeler the most money and he still didn't sign.

This all speaks volumes about this team.

I still don’t follow.  Wheeler signed with the Phillies for family reasons.  Machado signed with the Padres because they offered significantly more money.  If the money is there, we should be an attractive landing spot for most free agents.

• Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t follow.  Wheeler signed with the Phillies for family reasons.  Machado signed with the Padres because they offered significantly more money.  If the money is there, we should be an attractive landing spot for most free agents.

Lol "family reasons."

The point really flew over your head. Yes, we signed his friends to try to sway him instead of offering him the money we knew it would take to sign him.

You're not following because you're not trying to.

When has the money ever really "been there?"

I swear, some of you guys will never stop falling for this team's facades. The LaRussa hiring is the cherry on the ruse Sundae that Reinsdorf has been feeding the fans for years now.  The Sox have been a notorious spot for star FAs to avid in the past and now that's only likely to continue. But just the bus league stuff this team has been resorting to lately makes this organization a clear embarrassment. 

Edited by RagahRagah

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Lol "family reasons."

Wow, the point really flew over your head. Yes, we signed his fucking friends to try to sway him instead of offering him the money we knew it would take to sign him.

You're not following because you're not trying to.

When has the money ever really "been there?"

I swear, some of you guys will never stop falling for this team's facades. The LaRussa hiring is the cherry on the ruse Sundae that Reinsdorf has been feeding the fans for years now.  The Sox have been a notorious spot for star FAs to avid in the past and now that's only likely to continue. But just the bus league stuff this team has been resorting to lately makes this organization a clear embarrassment. 

Talk about moving the goalposts.  Here is what you said:

If I'm a big FA in 2020, honestly I probably stay away from this team.

Still waiting for an answer.  Just the La Russa factor?  That’s your only reason?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Talk about moving the goalposts.  Here is what you said:

Still waiting for an answer.  Just the La Russa factor?  That’s your only reason?

I didn't move the goal posts at all. I answered the question. And then you asked for the answers you already received.

This is about as a bizarre an interaction as I've had on a message forum.

6 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I didn't move the goal posts at all. I answered the question. And then you asked for the answers you already received.

This is about as a bizarre an interaction as I've had on a message forum.

So just to confirm, the only thing you got is La Russa?  If your other reason free agents should avoid us is because we’re cheap, well then that’s just a stupid comment not worth stating.  I was hoping there was more to your statement, but as expected it was just your inner meatball talking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So just to confirm, the only thing you got is La Russa?  If your other reason free agents should avoid us is because we’re cheap, well then that’s just a stupid comment not worth stating.  I was hoping there was more to your statement, but as expected it was just your inner meatball talking.

I have to assume you have issues with reading at this point.

I will restate:

We attempted to lure a FA by signing his friends to justify a clear lowball offer. Our owner is loyal to a fault and always oversees hiring the wrong personal and constant lowball offers (and overlooking readily available quality resources), which includes LaRussa. A lot of this is the result of constantly crying poor. He also has a history of bamboozling the fans.

And then, yes, there is LaRussa. A 76 year old who has not managed in 10 years and is earning ire socially with his stances on social issues, his shaky past with many players as well as his stubborn and arrogant nature, and some clearly contrived autopilot comments at the presser upon his hiring.

I stated most of this right off the bat so I'm not sure where you are ignoring it, how you are missing it or why you "weren't following" when I answered your questions outright.

Edited by RagahRagah