Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I have to assume you have issues with reading at this point.

I will restate:

We attempted to lure a FA by signing his friends to justify a clear lowball offer. Our owner is loyal to a fault and always oversees hiring the wrong personal and constant lowball offers (and overlooking readily available quality resources), which includes LaRussa. A lot of this is the result of constantly crying poor.

And then, yes, there is LaRussa. A 76 year old who has not managed in 10 years and is earning ire socially with his stances on social issues, his shaky past with many players as well as his stubborn and arrogant nature, and some clearly contrived autopilot comments at the presser upon his hiring.

I stated all those reasons right off the bat so I'm not sure where you are missing it or why you "weren't following" when I answered your questions outright.

The Machado situation is a reason why you might not expect us to land a big free agent. It’s not a reason why a big free agent would choose not to sign here. I believe you are the one who has reading issues. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The Machado situation is a reason why you might not expect us to land a big free agent. Its not a reason why a big free agent would choose not to sign here. I believe you are the one who has reading issues. 

You believe I have reading issues because you have a different opinion than me?

That's an odd correlation you're making. What was it I didn't read? I provided reasons and he's ignoring all except 1.

Edited by RagahRagah

6 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

You believe I have reading issues because you have a different opinion than me?

That's an odd correlation you're making. What was it I didn't read? I provided reasons and he's ignoring all except 1.

Maybe it’s not a reading issue. Maybe it’s an issue articulating your point. Do you actually believe that if we offered somebody the most money, they would say no, and one of their reasons for saying no would be because they didn’t like how we handled the Machado situation a couple years ago?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think some people are so hung up from the hiring of TLR that they are not rationalizing. People it’s been 3 days since he’s been named the new manager, just accept it that he’s our new manager. I wanted Hinch as much as anyone did and if he didn’t get the job I was hoping someone else would but after watching the presser for Hinch, it sounded like he was more interested in the Detroit job and we weren’t interested anyways so let’s move on.

Edited by maloney.adam

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Maybe it’s not a reading issue. Maybe it’s an issue articulating your point. Do you actually believe that if we offered somebody the most money, they would say no, and one of their reasons for saying no would be because they didn’t like how we handled the Machado situation a couple years ago?

You don't think players ever avoid going to shitty organizations? Like I said, one already turned down the most money.

20 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think some people are so hung up from the hiring of TLR that they are not rationalizing. People it’s been 3 days since he’s been named the new manager, just accept it that he’s our new manager. I wanted Hinch as much as anyone did and if he didn’t get the job someone else but after watching the presser for Hinch, it sounded like he was more interested in the Detroit job and we weren’t interested anyways so let’s move on.

No one has to like this move. 

33 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The Machado situation is a reason why you might not expect us to land a big free agent. It’s not a reason why a big free agent would choose not to sign here. I believe you are the one who has reading issues. 

Exactly, Machado got one of his buddies paid and successfully used us to get more money from the Padres.  And had we offered the most money, it’s practically all but a guarantee he would of signed with us, as free agents typically like money.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I wonder if this report is sourced or just a reaction to the La Russa signing. Everyone thinks Jerry will pony up for his boy but what if he is senile enough to believe that La Russa is the final missing piece and no big players need to be added ?

That’s definitely the nightmare.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, Machado got one of his buddies paid and successfully used us to get more money from the Padres.  And had we offered the most money, it’s practically all but a guarantee he would of signed with us, as free agents typically like money.

I like how you're literally making one of my points for me after I stated it and you somehow "missed" it.

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

I like how you're literally making one of my points for me after I stated it and you somehow "missed" it.

But Machado didn’t avoid us...he negotiated with us to the very end and almost certainly would have signed with us if we had the same offer as the Padres.  So not sure what point I’m missing here.  Free agents don’t typically handicap their market for meatball reasons like you’re stating.

55 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I wonder if this report is sourced or just a reaction to the La Russa signing. Everyone thinks Jerry will pony up for his boy but what if he is senile enough to believe that La Russa is the final missing piece and no big players need to be added ?

That's my big worry.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And yet two others took our money?

One player's decision dictates another? Everyone thinks the same?

You absolutely cannot deny the way our organization is run is very bush league and to not think that will ever sway anyone's thinking is pretty ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But Machado didnt avoid us...he negotiated with us to the very end and almost certainly would have signed with us if we had the same offer as the Padres.  So not sure what point Im missing here.  Free agents don’t typically handicap their market for meatball reasons like you’re stating.

It's literally the same thing I said in the very first post I made.

Edited by RagahRagah

16 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Does this mean JR is entering the Little Caesar's "spend all my money chasing a championship before I die" phase?

He was bullsh*tting on the number but he publicly complained about losing $100 million earlier this year. 

One big difference with Detroit is that I think a lot of Reinsdorf’s wealth and the organization’s money is tied up in assets such as the teams and real estate. That could mean that they only have a limited amount of cash in the organization available to cover losses - and the rest of ownership isn’t likely to kick in a lot of loose cash to cover losses year after year. In other words, this org isn’t built to do that. Depending on how much cash they paid out to the owners the last few years and how much they lost this year, a short period of losses could leave them somewhat cash-poor.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

I respect Joel Sherman but feels like agent side pontification