White Sox coaching staff announced (List in first post)

knightni

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-white-sox-coaching-staff-2021

· Bench Coach: Miguel Cairo

· Pitching Coach: Ethan Katz

· Assistant Pitching Coach: Curt Hasler

· Hitting Coach: Frank Menechino

· Assistant Hitting Coach: Howie Clark

· First Base Coach: Daryl Boston

· Third Base Coach: Joe McEwing

· Analytics Coordinator: Shelley Duncan

It will be interesting to see who ends up getting hired.  If Hahn has some say in the coaches, I would expect (and hope) to see a young, manager-in-waiting as the bench coach.  And I've heard the name Zaleski as a potential pitching coach.

Regardless of the pitching coach, I think a fresh approach could do our young pitchers some good.  The development of the pitchers at the MLB level has seemingly been stagnant lately, and I don't doubt that Cooper's old school approach had something to do with that.  Cease and Dunning have great stuff, and it seems like they both need a push to get over the hump.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Merkin did seem to imply in a recent article that both hitting coaches and Hasler might be safe.  I’m sure it was just speculation, but my guess it’s at least somewhat informed.

I hope that Menechino and Coolbaugh would be back.

The hitters seemed to really respond to them.

TLR on MLBN's Hot Stove right now discussing coaching staff. He mentioned how it's Kenny and Rick's ship as they're the ones that got the team where it is now, and mentioned a big part going forward is continuity of that staff because of the success we've had. Said there will be guys from the staff over the last few years that will still be here.

4 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

TLR on MLBN's Hot Stove right now discussing coaching staff. He mentioned how it's Kenny and Rick's ship as they're the ones that got the team where it is now, and mentioned a big part going forward is continuity of that staff because of the success we've had. Said there will be guys from the staff over the last few years that will still be here.

This is positive to read. Hopefully they can get their guys in sooner rather than later too

17 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

How was the interview 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

How was the interview 

It was good overall, I actually came away a bit more positive on him (and I'm firmly in the "pissed at this hire" camp).

They asked him all the usual stuff ie how he will handle bat flips etc. He mentioned Ricky and Dave Henderson in Oakland, Edmonds' flair in STL. He said he learned early on that you need to be careful that you don't manage the competiveness out of a player like that, can't make them be someone that they aren't. He got fluffy with his "if they're sincere about it", but his point was that he's for the personalities if he knows they're trying to help the team. Basically the me-first showboats are bad, team-first energy is good. That attitude seems to line up with our energy guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I know that Stone has brought up the idea of multiple pitching coaches before. Would a combo of Fedder (not really familiar with him) and Zaleski be a good thing or not?

I'd be a fan. Not sure that could lure Fedder away, who has been a pretty popular candidate with his background in majors and success of college pitching coaches moving over to mlb.

But you could also bump zaleski up to pitching coordinator, fedder as pitching coach and keep Hasler as bullpen coach.

8 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It was good overall, I actually came away a bit more positive on him (and I'm firmly in the "pissed at this hire" camp).

They asked him all the usual stuff ie how he will handle bat flips etc. He mentioned Ricky and Dave Henderson in Oakland, Edmonds' flair in STL. He said he learned early on that you need to be careful that you don't manage the competiveness out of a player like that, can't make them be someone that they aren't. He got fluffy with his "if they're sincere about it", but his point was that he's for the personalities if he knows they're trying to help the team. Basically the me-first showboats are bad, team-first energy is good. That attitude seems to line up with our energy guys.

This is good.

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd be a fan. Not sure that could lure Fedder away, who has been a pretty popular candidate with his background in majors and success of college pitching coaches moving over to mlb.

But you could also bump zaleski up to pitching coordinator, fedder as pitching coach and keep Hasler as bullpen coach.

I really like that idea.  I would love to see this happen.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I’m going to say TLR won’t be a factor. If a guy is offered a big league job in a pandemic I doubt he turns it down 

oh crap this is a good point. If I'm a college coach ESPECIALLY big ten baseball, I may be nervous on job security.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the White Sox want to keep Zaleski in the minors 

That makes sense. I saw an interview with Steve Phillips the other day. He mentioned he thought Hasler would stay in the bullpen and said in house hire likely and he mentioned Teaford. He was the first one on Oquendo.  He also mentioned McGwire as a  possible hitting coach but he really wants to watch his sons play. and thought it was a longshot.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Where does Teaford fit in this equation?

• knightni changed the title to White Sox coaching staff announced (List in first post)