White Sox coaching staff announced (List in first post)

knightni

Just now, poppysox said:

I am getting anxious to hear news on the new coaches.  I presume the pitching coach would be part of the think tank on which pitchers we will be pursuing.  Either going to be pleasantly surprised or irrationally bumed.  

He wanted Dave Duncan until Dave told him he was still staying retired.  My guess is get ready to be disappointed.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

If the Sox feel that way, then JR and Williams should fire him and bring in someone they trust.

Frankly, they already demoted him. I don’t know why he doesn’t leave. There’s “loyalty” and then there’s this. If they didn’t fire him after the first 4 years, they shouldn’t have given him 3 more years and then brought in someone who supersedes him just as things are improving.

I don’t know how things are internally with this org other than the public freak show, but if I was in that spot, I’m running either the Phillies or Mets next year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

He wanted Dave Duncan until Dave told him he was still staying retired.  My guess is get ready to be disappointed.  

If you started assuming the worst about this org the second Renteria was fired, no one would have believed you and you’d have been right every time. Find the worst candidate who makes sense with TLDR and he will be the one they hire. 

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

I knew about Duncan and was happy he turned it down.  Duncan was good in the day but really is time to get some new thoughts into the staff.  If I had to guess I would say Dotson is the leading candidate.  We like our homegrown boys.  When they were so fast to fire Cooper... I assumed they knew who they were getting.  The TL hire most have changed the thinking.

The only reason jerry hasn't fucked the entire Bulls offseason is because he doesn't give a shit about basketball or the Bulls as a franchise outside of it's purpose of making him money.  Unfortunately he is a big Sox fan so that means he has to fuck the whole thing.

I do not anticipate a big issue with the players not responding to LaRussa, etc., but I do believe that at best the Sox are going to be at a strategic disadvantage with LaRussa basically running the show, and you know he'll be running the show.  At worst he's basically a bad GM.  

On the surface I don't even mind the idea of LaRussa managing the players.  In the right situation (he has absolutely no power beyond the dugout and he has a younger staff underneath him who he is grooming to be his replacements) it could work well.  But you know it's not going to be that kind of situation.  He's not here to be the guy who gets told what to do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I knew about Duncan and was happy he turned it down.  Duncan was good in the day but really is time to get some new thoughts into the staff.  If I had to guess I would say Dotson is the leading candidate.  We like our homegrown boys.  When they were so fast to fire Cooper... I assumed they knew who they were getting.  The TL hire most have changed the thinking.

I think it’s going to be an external hire but probably Matt Zaleski if it ends up being internal. I’m hoping for Ethan Katz. 

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think it’s going to be an external hire but probably Matt Zaleski if it ends up being internal. I’m hoping for Ethan Katz. 

If willing to go young...Zaleski is a possibility but light on the resume.  What does Katz have that our in-house candidates don't?  Don't know much about him so just asking. Dotson seems to be old enough at age 61to have something in common with TL.  I doubt we are dumping Coop to go with a total unknown.

33 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If willing to go young...Zaleski is a possibility but light on the resume.  What does Katz have that our in-house candidates don't?  Don't know much about him so just asking. Dotson seems to be old enough at age 61to have something in common with TL.  I doubt we are dumping Coop to go with a total unknown.

My guess its either Dotson or Hassler if they keep in-house.  Otherwise look for a TLR former player or former A's/Cards minor league coach.    Its not going to be Katz or Zaleski.  The pitching coach for the Tigers was probably Hahn's #1 target.  He was allowed to go to a division competitor without us even interviewing him.  That should tell you enough about this process.  An Old Duffer will be the guy.   

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Ethan Katz is the assistant pitching coach for the Giants. He was Lucas Giolito’s HS coach at Harvard Westlake. Had Fried and Flaherty as well. Fantastic communicator. He’s had lots of Gausman’s turnaround attributed to him. Dotson pitched for La Russa in Chicago. I don’t think they go that direction though. 

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Ethan Katz is the assistant pitching coach for the Giants. He was Lucas Giolito’s HS coach at Harvard Westlake. Had Fried and Flaherty as well. Fantastic communicator. He’s had lots of Gausman’s turnaround attributed to him. Dotson pitched for La Russa in Chicago. I don’t think they go that direction though. 

You thinking Katz is a legit possibility?  

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Frankly, they already demoted him. I don’t know why he doesn’t leave. There’s “loyalty” and then there’s this. If they didn’t fire him after the first 4 years, they shouldn’t have given him 3 more years and then brought in someone who supersedes him just as things are improving.

I don’t know how things are internally with this org other than the public freak show, but if I was in that spot, I’m running either the Phillies or Mets next year.

They neutered him in the manager search, so I guess they demoted him de facto.

I doubt any team would hire Hahn as their top guy:  1 organization experience,   lackluster drafting and way too many unforced errors of the years.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

They neutered him in the manager search, so I guess they demoted him de facto.

I doubt any team would hire Hahn as their top guy:  1 organization experience,   lackluster drafting and way too many unforced errors of the years.

He just won MLB executive of the year (take that for what you will). He’d get another shot elsewhere.

Anyone got any coaching predictions?  Here’s my best guesses at the moment, most of which are mostly complete dart throws:

• Bench Coach: Joe Pettini
  • Pitching Coach: Matt Hobbs
  • Bullpen Coach: Curt Hasler
  • Hitting Coach: Frank Menechino
  • Ast. Hitting Coach: Lenny Harris
  • 1st Base Coach: Joe McEwing
  • 3rd Base Coach: Jose Oquendo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anyone got any coaching predictions?  Here’s my best guesses at the moment, most of which are mostly complete dart throws:

I’d be happy with this, but I have a feeling getting a Hobbs would be an issue as candidates probably realize the story from Hahn and TLR are not the same.

So when are they going to announce the rest of the staff? Are they alive over there? We haven’t heard anything from them on this. Meanwhile, Detroit is getting the ball moving and are assembling their staff but we’re just sitting around and watching them fall off the board like flies. Do they know that it’s free agency now and it’s important to have a coaching staff in place?

Edited by maloney.adam

14 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So when are they going to announce the rest of the staff? Are they alive over there? We haven’t heard anything from them on this. Meanwhile, Detroit is getting the ball moving and are assembling their staff but we’re just sitting around and watching them fall off the board like flies. Do they know that it’s free agency now and it’s important to have a coaching staff in place?

I’m sure they’re actively forming a staff.  You got to remember that La Russa has been out of the game for a decade and that many of his former connections are on the older side of things.  It will probably take him a bit longer than others to fill his staff, especially if Hahn & KW have some say in certain spots like pitching coach.

10 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

He just won MLB executive of the year (take that for what you will). He’d get another shot elsewhere.

In a front office; and after a couple of years, he may get another shot at GM.  Just too many glitches in his resume, if you look under the covers.

But, we'll see.  If someone wants him as GM, I think he'll be gone.

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

In a front office; and after a couple of years, he may get another shot at GM.  Just too many glitches in his resume, if you look under the covers.

But, we'll see.  If someone wants him as GM, I think he'll be gone.

If he is looking for a GM position where ownership and a President/VP type don't hold veto power he isn't going to get it.  He hasn't earned that type of power, and I'm don't think there are a lot of organizations that give a GM that type of power anymore.  If he had nailed his last couple of manager hires and got shot down on this one he may have a point.   He'd look foolish walking away from this team and the talent over being overruled on one hiring decision that he has no track record of success in the past.

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve heard that the Sox like Hobbs but he’s not interested with La Russa as manager. 

• Thanks 2

• knightni changed the title to White Sox coaching staff announced (List in first post)