White Sox coaching staff announced (List in first post)

knightni

I have nothing really to add about any of those coaches. They can be great or awful, and likely I won't know the difference. 

My issue, and to be fair, I was going to nitpick because I dislike TLR is everybody else's angle too - nepotism. Duncan may be great at this role & yet I don't really care. This is just a reflection of TLR's personality - which is Reinsdorf's attitude as well. Which is an old school and outdated way to build a team. Just because you're someone's friend or son doesn't make you more qualified to do a job, yet that's the Sox and has been for decades. 

TLR seems like the kind of guy that is going to do something like bench Eloy for 3-4 games in a row if he clowns around in the OF like he did last year a few times. Like take him out of the game and bench him for a series to prove a point and to show his power. I just don't think that way of managing is effective in 2021 & sadly i think we're going to see it. 

22 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Duncan doesn't appear to have any experience relative to analytics. Seems highly questionable. I guess we won't have to worry about manager and analytics butting heads. The rest seems good though.

He was a minor league manager and that actually is good experience for teaching analytics since the PD team is more hands on then.

My worry is he was the manager at AZ when La Russa was there, then he leaves for the Blue Jays where he didn't have a connection and is dismissed mid season. Fegan mentioned his brother was really sick that year and eventually passed away, and it could have been due to that unfortunate circumstance.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I have nothing really to add about any of those coaches. They can be great or awful, and likely I won't know the difference. 

My issue, and to be fair, I was going to nitpick because I dislike TLR is everybody else's angle too - nepotism. Duncan may be great at this role & yet I don't really care. This is just a reflection of TLR's personality - which is Reinsdorf's attitude as well. Which is an old school and outdated way to build a team. Just because you're someone's friend or son doesn't make you more qualified to do a job, yet that's the Sox and has been for decades. 

TLR seems like the kind of guy that is going to do something like bench Eloy for 3-4 games in a row if he clowns around in the OF like he did last year a few times. Like take him out of the game and bench him for a series to prove a point and to show his power. I just don't think that way of managing is effective in 2021 & sadly i think we're going to see it. 

I hope fans don't forget the fact Dave Duncan rejected LaRussa's request that he join his staff as pitching coach. The White Sox wouldn't have Katz if Duncan didn't have enough sense to tell Tony he is too old for this shit.

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I hope fans don't forget the fact Dave Duncan rejected LaRussa's request that he join his staff as pitching coach. The White Sox wouldn't have Katz if Duncan didn't have enough sense to tell Tony he is too old for this shit.

Just because Duncan said he wouldn't be joining TLR doesn't mean we would have taken Duncan if he was interested.  I think Hahn was given control of hiring the pitching coach, and I don't think it was going to be Duncan even if Duncan wanted it.

18 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

It really smells like a position was created for a family friend to keep Tony happy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It really smells like a position was created for a family friend to keep Tony happy.

It wouldn't be the first time the "analytics" position was used that way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/11/18/ed-lewis-a-former-veterinarian-is-the-diamondbacks-new-director-of-analytics/19229543/

• knightni changed the title to White Sox coaching staff announced (List in first post)
2 hours ago, fathom said:

So translate this for me, is he saying he doesn’t like the new staff or old staff?

Weird seeing players go right to Twitter for everything (although I think this is unrelated)

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Great, so Shelley Duncan is basically our Hunter Biden?

Does that make Dave Duncan the Big guy?

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

Nepotism?? What in the world are you talking about.

Never mind. Didn't realize Duncan was Dave Duncan spawn

"Nepotism" is responsible for literally every NFL staff ever and I'd assume most baseball

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

We just have to hope that there is a mutiny against La Russa this year. 

I hope LaRussa is the HOF manager his past accomplishments say he is.  Good lineup construction coupled with good on-field decisions.  Good management of the pitching staff.  Why would anyone want the Sox to fail?  Not much of a fan I think.

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I hope LaRussa is the HOF manager his past accomplishments say he is.  Good lineup construction coupled with good on-field decisions.  Good management of the pitching staff.  Why would anyone want the Sox to fail?  Not much of a fan I think.

TLR is abrasive, but if Timmy and Abreu are okay with things then I'm good. TLR has a ton to prove and trust to earn, but so do a lot of coaches and players, including Bauer. 

49 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Just because Duncan said he wouldn't be joining TLR doesn't mean we would have taken Duncan if he was interested.  I think Hahn was given control of hiring the pitching coach, and I don't think it was going to be Duncan even if Duncan wanted it.

If Duncan said yes, he would of been TLR's pitching coach. Its cute that you think that Hahn has a say here.  The only reason Katz is here is due to Duncan saying nope. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Nah, this is more like watching the inevitable death spiral of a team about to implode because the owner wanted his drunken buddy running the team instead of someone who fit the team.  I don't think anyone is rooting for it, but it is really hard to be invested or excited when we can all see it coming.

But this did not happen in his previous years of managing......so now Jose Abreu will no longer appreciate Jerry and the loyalty that he has shown all these years to the organization is out the window?

I get no liking the move and feeling that the fit is not right but I really think people are acting like this is Jim Boylan. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lets see how the Reds approach their qualifications for MLB analytics coordinator.  I dont think Shelley gets an interview if he applies for their job.

https://g.co/kgs/A2uNNT

Experience, Education and Licensure: • Bachelors and/or Master’s degree with an emphasis in in computational field, such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Data Science, Quantitative Social Sciences or Analytics strongly preferred. Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading a team of Data Scientists, Quantitative Analysts and Researchers. • Experience within a Major League or other professional sports front office or related work strongly preferred. Knowledge. Skills and Abilities: • Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize work, create project plans, roadmaps and drive projects to completion. • Ability to lead and mentor small teams to deliver high-quality results with high levels of customer service. • Strong understanding of typical baseball data structures, plus knowledge of current baseball research and traditional baseball statistics and strategy. • Working familiarity with advanced mathematical and statistical concepts, including experience implementing statistical models, simulations, derivations, and graphical representations into software applications. • Experience with statistical software, programming languages and/or machine learning is strongly preferred. • Experience manipulating complex database structures using SQL Server tools. • Experience with R, Python, and/or other languages a plus. • Ability to communicate effectively with all aspects of Baseball Operations, Scouting and Player Development staffs, and understand their job functions and subsequent analytics needs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Lets see how the Reds approach their qualifications for MLB analytics coordinator.  I dont think Shelley gets an interview if he applies for their job.

https://g.co/kgs/A2uNNT

Experience, Education and Licensure: • Bachelors and/or Master’s degree with an emphasis in in computational field, such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Data Science, Quantitative Social Sciences or Analytics strongly preferred. Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading a team of Data Scientists, Quantitative Analysts and Researchers. • Experience within a Major League or other professional sports front office or related work strongly preferred. Knowledge. Skills and Abilities: • Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize work, create project plans, roadmaps and drive projects to completion. • Ability to lead and mentor small teams to deliver high-quality results with high levels of customer service. • Strong understanding of typical baseball data structures, plus knowledge of current baseball research and traditional baseball statistics and strategy. • Working familiarity with advanced mathematical and statistical concepts, including experience implementing statistical models, simulations, derivations, and graphical representations into software applications. • Experience with statistical software, programming languages and/or machine learning is strongly preferred. • Experience manipulating complex database structures using SQL Server tools. • Experience with R, Python, and/or other languages a plus. • Ability to communicate effectively with all aspects of Baseball Operations, Scouting and Player Development staffs, and understand their job functions and subsequent analytics needs.

That's a director of analytics role.

This is not that, and it is common for these to go to former players. Pretty sure this was Gabe Kapler's role once, and is Sam Fuld's role with phillies (who was mentioned as a possible white sox manager).

This is a teaching role for someone who can process the information and communicate it to the players effectively, and also communicate needs from the players to the analytics group. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

That's a director of analytics role.

This is not that, and it is common for these to go to former players. Pretty sure this was Gabe Kapler's role once, and is Sam Fuld's role with phillies (who was mentioned as a possible white sox manager).

This is a teaching role for someone who can process the information and communicate it to the players effectively, and also communicate needs from the players to the analytics group. 

This is an organization who drafted Carrie Schueler before.  Their limits on unqualified nepotism has no boundaries.  So maybe he is more than qualified.  Then again, maybe his last name being Duncan had more to do with it than anything.   

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

But this did not happen in his previous years of managing......so now Jose Abreu will no longer appreciate Jerry and the loyalty that he has shown all these years to the organization is out the window?

I get no liking the move and feeling that the fit is not right but I really think people are acting like this is Jim Boylan. 

Do we really need to revisit all of the manager/player problems that Tony has been a part of?

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This is an organization who drafted Carrie Schueler before.  Their limits on unqualified nepotism has no boundaries.  So maybe he is more than qualified.  Then again, maybe his last name being Duncan had more to do with it than anything.   

I was the one that started complaining about Duncan getting the role. I was merely pointing out that even though you searched for mlb analytics coordinator, what you were pulling from was a director of analytics role, which is why it required all that. The sox would have a similar posting for a role like that.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I was the one that started complaining about Duncan getting the role. I was merely pointing out that even though you searched for mlb analytics coordinator, what you were pulling from was a director of analytics role, which is why it required all that. The sox would have a similar posting for a role like that.

Thats fine.  I misconstrued what he was actually hired for.   

41 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Weird seeing players go right to Twitter for everything (although I think this is unrelated)

Does that make Dave Duncan the Big guy?

"Nepotism" is responsible for literally every NFL staff ever and I'd assume most baseball

Every NFL staff ever is comprised of the family members of their superiors? That seems like a questionable assertion

55 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If Duncan said yes, he would of been TLR's pitching coach. Its cute that you think that Hahn has a say here.  The only reason Katz is here is due to Duncan saying nope. 

Cool. Glad you could clear that up for me with your insider knowledge. 

• Like 1