Robert Gold Glove

Flash

14 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Same.  A little surprised.

The defensive talent is undeniable and he gets to some balls 98% of MLB CF won't touch.  But he was poor around the wall and missed some very catchable (for him) balls in big spots.  I have no doubt he'll win many of these, and he is an ELITE defender.  Just a little surprised he won this year.  

I am concerned about Robert injuring himself when he runs full speed and dives for balls in the gaps. Its' fun to watch and important to the outcome of certain games, but, is it worth a possible injury that takes him out for weeks or months or for an entire season?   I would rather see Robert limit his exposure to injury by holding up if he can't get to a ball on his feet, then  just run it down and hit the cut-off man.  I recall that Avi G adjusted his approach to balls hit in front of him after he injured himself on a dive....after his injury required surgery.

The other possibility would be to try Robert in RF in Spring Training to see if he can take advantage of his strong arm while minimizing  high speed, risky  dives for balls in the gaps. Engel is decent defensively and showed that he can really smash the ball. I think he is too valuable to sit on the bench where Renteria had him all to often. 

At some point during the season Hahn should  have admitted that he screwed up by  signing Mazara and EE , then  made some obvious moves to rectify those mistakes (bringing up Vaughn and Collins and telling Renteria it was fine to start Engel in RF).     It may be that Renteria felt an obligation to the org. to keep sending Mazara and EE out there to help justify Hahn signing them to contracts. Hopefully there will be better coordination next season between the Manager and the FO.

Edited by tray

23 minutes ago, tray said:

I am concerned about Robert injuring himself when he runs full speed and dives for balls in the gaps. Its' fun to watch and important to the outcome of certain games, but, is it worth a possible injury that takes him out for weeks or months or for an entire season?   I would rather see Robert limit his exposure to injury by holding up if he can't get to a ball on his feet, then  just run it down and hit the cut-off man.  I recall that Avi G adjusted his approach to balls hit in front of him after he injured himself on a dive....after his injury required surgery.

The other possibility would be to try Robert in RF in Spring Training to see if he can take advantage of his strong arm while minimizing  high speed, risky  dives for balls in the gaps. Engel is decent defensively and showed that he can really smash the ball. I think he is too valuable to sit on the bench where Renteria had him all to often.

At some point during the season Hahn should  have admitted that he screwed up by  signing Mazara and EE , then  made some obvious moves to rectify those mistakes (bringing up Vaughn and Collins and telling Renteria it was fine to start Engel in RF).     It may be that Renteria felt an obligation to the org. to keep sending Mazara and EE out there to help justify Hahn signing them to contracts. Hopefully there will be better coordination next season between the Manager and the FO.

Rick Renteria and Rick Hahn consulted on personnel. If anything, it will take more of an effort by Tony to consult with the Front Office, a significant adjustment to his previous gigs, and hopefully not try to do an end around to Jerry based on his personal relationship.

Many here act as though Rick Renteria had Carte Blanche control over everything, and Hahn was an innocent bystander with little to no input. The playoff lineups and Game Three Opener scheme was a joint decision, or Hahn’s call if Ricky objected.

With a short season, and few alternatives, it made sense to try to salvage Parrot. Rick couldn’t unilaterally bench him. Mazara was injured and there were other injuries including Eloy’s trying to play OF so not many options. Hell, Nicky Delmonico was a top three option at one point based on injuries. 

They also didn’t want to star the clock on Vaughn, will not likely start it next year until they can lock in six years of control, at least under the current CBA.

What we cannot say is whether it was Hahn’s call to make a change at manager, or if Jerry stated he wanted LaRussa sometime during the season and Rick was instructed to make it happen. Ricky Renteria is not going to cry to the press like Ozzie would/did, about what transpired.

Hahn just extended Renteria 63 games ago. Rick continued with the plan and managed the team under trying circumstances to their best record since 2005.

SSHM : Good points there. Concerning the decision they made to keep Vaughn down to not start the clock.. I am not in agreement with Hahn's decision  to keep Vaughn in Schaumburg instead of letting him play.  If  he had played that could have established his value to the 2021 Sox or to other teams in a potential trade. Collins could have been brought up  to get more at bats as well. Instead, he also remains something of an unknown quantity.

Although it was not an option, think about the difference Kopech's value might be now if he had a decent season or even half of a season.

Most of us were complaining that Mazara and EE kept getting at-bats. Steve Stone (at least on Twitter) panned the decision to keep running Mazara and EE out there.

We know that decision was not entirely up to Renteria or maybe he just realized that a lot of money was spent on those players and he did not want to show up Hahn by benching his boys.  

So....given similar circumstances  would TLaR feel that he has to put guys in the line-up who are under-performing just to  kiss Hahn's ass?

Edited by tray
  • Like 1