White Sox Radio Headed to ESPN 1000

Y2Jimmy0

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/11/04/robservations-espn-1000-finish-line-white-sox-radio-rights/

I was pretty confident that they'd end up at 780 with Entercom but the White Sox are accepting the bid from ESPN apparently. Maybe that station will actually cover the team now. 

I wonder if there was deep seeded resentment by ESPN for them leaving for WSCR years ago. 

I hope Laurence Holmes makes it over to the station as well, either as PBP and or a host. He's the only regular host left I listen to on The Score (Matt Spiegel is good covering baseball). Don't listen to sports radio otherwise, beyond select WSCR clips online covering the White Sox. 

Andy Masur seemed to improve over time, though I did miss Farmer. Would assume D.J. is returning. Dave Wills returning to Chicago would be nice as well. Plenty of good broadcasters should want to cover the White Sox over the next few years, assuming the pay is market rate.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I hope Laurence Holmes makes it over to the station as well, either as PBP and or a host. He's the only regular host left I listen to on The Score (Matt Spiegel is good covering baseball). Don't listen to sports radio otherwise, beyond select WSCR clips online covering the White Sox. 

Andy Masur seemed to improve over time, though I did miss Farmer. Would assume D.J. is returning.

I like Masur but really didn't like the pairing. Without Farmer, suddenly DJ seemed like the cranky one, and honestly came off as condescending to Masur a lot. I think Masur tried to bring in some newer analytics and things like benetti and DJ would just go on long dismissive diatribes. Disappointing since I generally liked DJ on his own, but they had zero chemistry.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I like Masur but really didn't like the pairing. Without Farmer, suddenly DJ seemed like the cranky one, and honestly came off as condescending to Masur a lot. I think Masur tried to bring in some newer analytics and things like benetti and DJ would just go on long dismissive diatribes. Disappointing since I generally liked DJ on his own, but they had zero chemistry.

Yes, I think I got better as the short season went on, but there was some growing pains for sure. I do like analytics mixed in with "old school" perspective. I think the pair can improve over time, They had a weird and difficult short season to get up to speed, with road games broadcast via visiting team feeds on monitors. It had to be difficult at times just to ensure the technology worked.

They weren't annoying to me at least, whereas Benetti and Stone's shtick at times is annoying when I watched via the internet feed.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Andy Masur seemed to improve over time, though I did miss Farmer. Would assume D.J. is returning. Dave Wills returning to Chicago would be nice as well. Plenty of good broadcasters should want to cover the White Sox over the next few years, assuming the pay is market rate.

I find Laurence creepy and bland. He also feels the need to talk up his athletic prowess constantly. 

Spiegel and Bernstein are the two guys I enjoy listening to most on 670. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I find Laurence creepy and bland. He also feels the need to talk up his athletic prowess constantly. 

Spiegel and Bernstein are the two guys I enjoy listening to most on 670. 

Bernstein is arrogant, painful to listen to, sanctimonious, and should have gotten shitcanned for his breast tweets a few years ago.

The whole station is a dumpster fire, if it weren’t for the internet clips isolating White Sox discussion from the 95% Bears / Bullshit, wouldn’t listen at all. ESPN is even worse.

Wonder if Carmen will get another shot at the Apple, in reference to the 2005 interview linked below.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2005-04-06-0504060365-story.html

• Love 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, I think I got better as the short season went on, but there was some growing pains for sure. I do like analytics mixed in with "old school" perspective. I think the pair can improve over time, They had a weird and difficult short season to get up to speed, with road games broadcast via visiting team feeds on monitors. It had to be difficult at times just to ensure the technology worked.

They weren't annoying to me at least, whereas Benetti and Stone's shtick at times is annoying when I watched via the internet feed.

I don't mind both perspectives, just don't like when it becomes a crossfire act where everytime exit velocity is mentioned DJ needs to complain about how we already can tell whether a ball is hit hard or not.

58 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Bernstein is arrogant, painful to listen to, sanctimonious, and should have gotten shitcanned for his breast tweets a few years ago.

The whole station is a dumpster fire, if it weren’t for the internet clips isolating White Sox discussion from the 95% Bears / Bullshit, wouldn’t listen at all. ESPN is even worse.

Wonder if Carmen will get another shot at the Apple, in reference to the 2005 interview linked below.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2005-04-06-0504060365-story.html

So if you think he should have been canned for that, I take it you think Laurence should be canned for how he would talk about women that would "get it" in reference to famous women that he would love to bang. Much creepier and scummier than Bernstein.

24 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

So if you think he should have been canned for that, I take it you think Laurence should be canned for how he would talk about women that would "get it" in reference to famous women that he would love to bang. Much creepier and scummier than Bernstein.

I haven't heard Holmes say anything about women like that.  I'm not saying he hasn't, because I don't listen religiously to his show, but I do listen.

what Bernstein did, twice, was pretty bad.  First, talking about an anchors (can't even remember who it was anymore, think she was on Comcast sports net) boobs, and then second putting it on twitter that Cheryl Scott was fucking blackhawks players.   If he did any of the above two things today he would have been fired

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I haven't heard Holmes say anything about women like that.  I'm not saying he hasn't, because I don't listen religiously to his show, but I do listen.

what Bernstein did, twice, was pretty bad.  First, talking about an anchors (can't even remember who it was anymore, think she was on Comcast sports net) boobs, and then second putting it on twitter that Cheryl Scott was fucking blackhawks players.   If he did any of the above two things today he would have been fired

I haven’t heard it either, have heard of these two Bernstein incidents.

Never heard Holmes referred to as “creepy” before. If we had a poll here who was creepier, Bernstein or Holmes, I’d wager there would be a similar landslide for Bernstein as there was for SoxTalk posters voting Hinch/Other over LaRussa.

Getting back on topic, I am looking forward to the announcement of the broadcasting team.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Does ESPN have an FM frequency? That would be huge for me. My car doesn't have AM, so I usually just listened to Cubs games in the car, or tried to get away watching the Sox game on my phone and jamming the phone in to the steering wheel. 😬😬

It is like 20 bucks for the At Bat app for the radio broadcasts.  Way cheaper than when you kill someone watching the game while driving. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

19 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Does ESPN have an FM frequency? That would be huge for me. My car doesn't have AM, so I usually just listened to Cubs games in the car, or tried to get away watching the Sox game on my phone and jamming the phone in to the steering wheel. 😬😬

Wait - A Tesla doesn't have AM radio?  

Edit: I googled it - didn't realize this was a thing with the electric car causing the AM radio to kind of be worthless so Tesla pulled them.  I love me some AM radio - damn that sucks Chili.  At least for non games you can always stream (if you like sports talk). 

Bob Elson and AM 1000 were my only day to day conduit to the White Sox for my first 10 years a fan.  I've lived my whole life approximately 400 miles and 600 miles from Chicago as the crow flies (Toronto and Ottawa Ont.).  Every night I would tune in with varying degrees of success.  Often good, frequently 😃crystal clear.  I still have a radio tab set to 1000 on my car radio, although now I tape every game using my "too much TV" cable provider.  Glad it's back.  Now I'll have a better chance to hear some Sox talk on those occasions when I am driving at night.  And we all know the glory years are coming.    😃

• Like 1