White Sox Radio Headed to ESPN 1000

Y2Jimmy0

1 hour ago, ottawa_sox said:

Bob Elson and AM 1000 were my only day to day conduit to the White Sox for my first 10 years a fan.  I've lived my whole life approximately 400 miles and 600 miles from Chicago as the crow flies (Toronto and Ottawa Ont.).  Every night I would tune in with varying degrees of success.  Often good, frequently 😃crystal clear.  I still have a radio tab set to 1000 on my car radio, although now I tape every game using my "too much TV" cable provider.  Glad it's back.  Now I'll have a better chance to hear some Sox talk on those occasions when I am driving at night.  And we all know the glory years are coming.    😃

The Commander was one of three people I ever asked for an autograph at Northwest Federal Savings Bank, a few years after he left for Oakland and then retired. Ernie Banks (at the same venue) and Carol Alt (at the Old Chicago Stadium - waiting for her husband from the god forsaken Rangers) were the two others.

The station's radio signal is blasted straight your way, some people in the far western suburbs complain the signal can be spotty at times at night. We get Toronto's AM 740 and French Canadian broadcasts via AM 860 here on clear evening nights.

Yankees Public Address Announcer Bob Sheppard, aka The Voice of God", can be heard at the start of the linked "Voice of Labor" broadcast below. Yogi Berra scored the only run of the game with his 6th inning home run. SoxTalk only existed in bars and basements during this time, it was universally agreed Rick Renteria was at fault for the loss. Steve Stone said it was "Ricky's Choice" to pitch to Yogi while playing catch in Euclid.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Just wait for the backlash when the four letter network announces “Jerry’s Guy”and current WMVP gambling segment host Mike North as part of the 2021 White Sox broadcast team.

May as well rip the whole bandaid off announce the hiring of “Tony’s guys”

1. Pitching Coach (Curt Schilling)
  2. Bullpen Coach (John Rocker)
  3. Hitting Coach (Aubrey Huff)
  4. Bench Coach (Dr. Ed Lewis)

On 11/6/2020 at 9:24 AM, turnin' two said:

It is like 20 bucks for the At Bat app for the radio broadcasts.  Way cheaper than when you kill someone watching the game while driving. 

The car drives itself my guy. But yes, I'll look in to At Bat, although it would just be easier if there was an FM frequency. There appears not to be, however.

27 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Wonder why Masur is only a "candidate to return".  Thought he was the chosen replacement for Ed Farmer long term when he filled in during his illness and was full time last year.  Who could the other candidates be?

I'm not sure of the other candidates and I wouldn't be surprised if Masur is with them or not next season.  It really was a different dynamic when he was added with DJ. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of them yet. Honesty, only heard 7 or 8 games on the radio.

1 hour ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

https://theathletic.com/2194630/2020/11/12/dollars-and-sense-white-sox-espn-1000-strike-up-deal-amid-tony-la-russa-mess/

According to Greenberg here ESPN is playing about $3M a year for the radio rights. Looks like the checkbook will flowing this offseason now!

It's all going to TLR's legal fees

• Haha 2

On 11/7/2020 at 4:44 PM, ottawa_sox said:

Bob Elson and AM 1000 were my only day to day conduit to the White Sox for my first 10 years a fan.  I've lived my whole life approximately 400 miles and 600 miles from Chicago as the crow flies (Toronto and Ottawa Ont.).  Every night I would tune in with varying degrees of success.  Often good, frequently 😃crystal clear.  I still have a radio tab set to 1000 on my car radio, although now I tape every game using my "too much TV" cable provider.  Glad it's back.  Now I'll have a better chance to hear some Sox talk on those occasions when I am driving at night.  And we all know the glory years are coming.    😃

As a kid, I had the same level of radio reception like you.  Fond memories of coat hangers and aluminum foil attached to the antenna to enhance the clarity of the broadcast.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

As a kid, I had the same level of radio reception like you.  Fond memories of coat hangers and aluminum foil attached to the antenna to enhance the clarity of the broadcast.

It was so frustrating to adjust the antenna to just when I got a good reception, then it would all go to crap as soon as I took my hand away from the antenna.  

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

12 hours ago, wegner said:

It was so frustrating to adjust the antenna to just when I got a good reception, then it would all go to crap as soon as I took my hand away from the antenna.  

I used to grab a ball, the family dog and a transistor radio and head down to the local baseball diamond, where I would use the backstop as my antenna booster. 

• Love 2