McCann feels he is a starter

southsider2k5

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Even if it means you can’t upgrade RF?

Of course not. Don’t get me wrong, it won’t surprise me if it does, but let’s hope JR is past 9 mil more in payroll being too much to put the best possible team on the field. Not like we’ll be anywhere near the luxury tax. Hopefully since he hired a 76 year old coach JR is at least in WS now mode and will get the payroll up to at least 150. 

Not to mention that a good 2nd C is necessary with Grandal. Is Collins ready? Or would we just end up signing someone else cheaper/not as good to save 4/5 mil?

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Of course not. Don’t get me wrong, it won’t surprise me if it does, but let’s hope JR is past 9 mil more in payroll being too much to put the best possible team on the field. Not like we’ll be anywhere near the luxury tax. Hopefully since he hired a 76 year old coach JR is at least in WS now mode and will get the payroll up to at least 150. 

Not to mention that a good 2nd C is necessary with Grandal. Is Collins ready? Or would we just end up signing someone else cheaper/not as good to save 4/5 mil?

Not going to be shocked if we sign Molina. Assuming he's willing to be a back up at his age. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Why is a good second catcher necessary with Grandal?  That logic I don’t really get since he should be able to start a ton of games which makes the backup catcher spot less of a concern than normal.

59 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Not going to be shocked if we sign Molina. Assuming he's willing to be a back up at his age. 

That would be a horrible use of resources IMO.  A big part of Grandal’s value is the ability to play frequently.  If you don’t like Collins at the backup, go get cheap defensive-minded veteran.  That should come fairly cheap in this marketplace.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:21 AM, TheFutureIsNear said:

The only way the Sox get a payroll of $150M is if there is a vaccine for Covid in the next 2 months + overwhelming season ticket orders after it ends. Odds of that happening : 100 to 1.

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Honestly giolito needs to learn to deal with grandal. It is not that grandal is some defensive hack, so there is no reason why giolito shouldn't get along with grandal especially if you get a worse backup than mccann.

I was told there are two problems with Grandal's catching.  The first is the pitchers don't trust him to put down the correct number so the pitcher has to call his own game which is something they would rather not have to think about like when they throw to McCann.  The second and much bigger problem is Grandal pulls pitches on the corners out of the strike zone.  As you can imagine this drives the pitchers absolutely insane to the point that there are very heated arguments about who gets to throw to who(m?).  Whoever they sign and I'm told they're still talikng to McCann has to be a strong defensive catcher who is also very good at calling a game.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told there are two problems with Grandal's catching.  The first is the pitchers don't trust him to put down the correct number so the pitcher has to call his own game which is something they would rather not have to think about like when they throw to McCann.  The second and much bigger problem is Grandal pulls pitches on the corners out of the strike zone.  As you can imagine this drives the pitchers absolutely insane to the point that there are very heated arguments about who gets to throw to who(m?).  Whoever they sign and I'm told they're still talikng to McCann has to be a strong defensive catcher who is also very good at calling a game.

All things they should have been aware of before they signed him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Grandal has been constantly rated a great framer, can't believe pitchers think he is stealing strikes.

2020 he was 4th in baseball savant Framing

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/catcher_framing

and second at bbpro 

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/leaders/catching/catcher-stats-full-season?year=2020&lg=all&team=all&lvl=mlb&min=qualified

Not sure about the game calling albeit I would think often the manager calls it these days, doesn't he?

Edited by Dominikk85