Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

McCann feels he is a starter

Recommended Posts

 

McCann doesn't care about being a "starting:" catcher. He just wants to make starting catcher money.

If  TLaR wants McCann,  he will probably get signed here.

 

Edited by tray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tray said:

 

McCann doesn't care about being a "starting:" catcher. He just wants to make starting catcher money.

If  TLaR wants McCann,  he will probably get signed here.

 

Someone is going to pay him to be a starter. It will not be the White Sox.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I wouldn't say that just yet.

I would. Phillies lose Realmuto...McCann is an overpay for them. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCann to Mets has been rumored in several places. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams need two starters I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

McCann to Mets has been rumored in several places. 

I think they're going to go hard after Realmuto first. McCann is more of the backup plan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The contracts I have seen have been surprisingly low. I would absolutely keep McCann around for something like 2 years 18 mil

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The contracts I have seen have been surprisingly low. I would absolutely keep McCann around for something like 2 years 18 mil

Even if it means you can’t upgrade RF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Even if it means you can’t upgrade RF?

Of course not. Don’t get me wrong, it won’t surprise me if it does, but let’s hope JR is past 9 mil more in payroll being too much to put the best possible team on the field. Not like we’ll be anywhere near the luxury tax. Hopefully since he hired a 76 year old coach JR is at least in WS now mode and will get the payroll up to at least 150. 
 

Not to mention that a good 2nd C is necessary with Grandal. Is Collins ready? Or would we just end up signing someone else cheaper/not as good to save 4/5 mil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Of course not. Don’t get me wrong, it won’t surprise me if it does, but let’s hope JR is past 9 mil more in payroll being too much to put the best possible team on the field. Not like we’ll be anywhere near the luxury tax. Hopefully since he hired a 76 year old coach JR is at least in WS now mode and will get the payroll up to at least 150. 
 

Not to mention that a good 2nd C is necessary with Grandal. Is Collins ready? Or would we just end up signing someone else cheaper/not as good to save 4/5 mil?

Not going to be shocked if we sign Molina. Assuming he's willing to be a back up at his age. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Of course not. Don’t get me wrong, it won’t surprise me if it does, but let’s hope JR is past 9 mil more in payroll being too much to put the best possible team on the field. Not like we’ll be anywhere near the luxury tax. Hopefully since he hired a 76 year old coach JR is at least in WS now mode and will get the payroll up to at least 150. 
 

Not to mention that a good 2nd C is necessary with Grandal. Is Collins ready? Or would we just end up signing someone else cheaper/not as good to save 4/5 mil?

Why is a good second catcher necessary with Grandal?  That logic I don’t really get since he should be able to start a ton of games which makes the backup catcher spot less of a concern than normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Not going to be shocked if we sign Molina. Assuming he's willing to be a back up at his age. 

That would be a horrible use of resources IMO.  A big part of Grandal’s value is the ability to play frequently.  If you don’t like Collins at the backup, go get cheap defensive-minded veteran.  That should come fairly cheap in this marketplace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need someone to catch Giolito. Coop gone, McCann gone. That's going to be tough. I do think you should have a good backup. McCann was as solid as they came.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2020 at 6:21 AM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Of course not. Don’t get me wrong, it won’t surprise me if it does, but let’s hope JR is past 9 mil more in payroll being too much to put the best possible team on the field. Not like we’ll be anywhere near the luxury tax. Hopefully since he hired a 76 year old coach JR is at least in WS now mode and will get the payroll up to at least 150. 
 

Not to mention that a good 2nd C is necessary with Grandal. Is Collins ready? Or would we just end up signing someone else cheaper/not as good to save 4/5 mil?

The only way the Sox get a payroll of $150M is if there is a vaccine for Covid in the next 2 months + overwhelming season ticket orders after it ends. Odds of that happening : 100 to 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly giolito needs to learn to deal with grandal. It is not that grandal is some defensive hack, so there is no reason why giolito shouldn't get along with grandal especially if you get a worse backup than mccann.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i echo the last comment. if giolito stumbles without coop and mccann then he's not a top tier starter in this league. top tier guys can play well with whatever is aroudn them

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Honestly giolito needs to learn to deal with grandal. It is not that grandal is some defensive hack, so there is no reason why giolito shouldn't get along with grandal especially if you get a worse backup than mccann.

I was told there are two problems with Grandal's catching.  The first is the pitchers don't trust him to put down the correct number so the pitcher has to call his own game which is something they would rather not have to think about like when they throw to McCann.  The second and much bigger problem is Grandal pulls pitches on the corners out of the strike zone.  As you can imagine this drives the pitchers absolutely insane to the point that there are very heated arguments about who gets to throw to who(m?).  Whoever they sign and I'm told they're still talikng to McCann has to be a strong defensive catcher who is also very good at calling a game.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told there are two problems with Grandal's catching.  The first is the pitchers don't trust him to put down the correct number so the pitcher has to call his own game which is something they would rather not have to think about like when they throw to McCann.  The second and much bigger problem is Grandal pulls pitches on the corners out of the strike zone.  As you can imagine this drives the pitchers absolutely insane to the point that there are very heated arguments about who gets to throw to who(m?).  Whoever they sign and I'm told they're still talikng to McCann has to be a strong defensive catcher who is also very good at calling a game.

All things they should have been aware of before they signed him

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fathom said:

All things they should have been aware of before they signed him

You overestimate them.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to the podcast. HE GONE.

Disappointed, but he deserves to be a starter and cash in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told there are two problems with Grandal's catching.  The first is the pitchers don't trust him to put down the correct number so the pitcher has to call his own game which is something they would rather not have to think about like when they throw to McCann.  The second and much bigger problem is Grandal pulls pitches on the corners out of the strike zone.  As you can imagine this drives the pitchers absolutely insane to the point that there are very heated arguments about who gets to throw to who(m?).  Whoever they sign and I'm told they're still talikng to McCann has to be a strong defensive catcher who is also very good at calling a game.

Grandal has been constantly rated a great framer, can't believe pitchers think he is stealing strikes.

 

2020 he was 4th in baseball savant Framing

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/catcher_framing

 

and second at bbpro 

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/leaders/catching/catcher-stats-full-season?year=2020&lg=all&team=all&lvl=mlb&min=qualified

 

Not sure about the game calling albeit I would think often the manager calls it these days, doesn't he?

Edited by Dominikk85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×