Actually Realistic Vaughn Trade Ideas?

YourWhatHurts

58 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

$14mm or whatever his number is for a probable reigning MVP?

It's a moot message board debate so I don't care enough to argue my point much - but under your point of view then every single trade this offseason should just be "free trades" aka. Just getting rid of salary. In that case the Sox should go shopping - don't have to trade any prospects & can take any player we want by just taking their salaries on. 

$16 million this year, $18 million next year, $4 million deferred. Taking on $16 million this year...yeah I think that this year it's crazy to expect teams to do that while most are cutting salary. Maybe you get a team like Minnesota who says "I can replace Cruz with him", but then that's their big move of the year.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:02 PM, Dick Allen said:

Jose Abreu was an MVP player in 2020. In 2021 or 2022, he probably won’t be. Vaughn is too good to trade, and will be needed soon enough. He may be the best hitter of them all.

How many seasons is it now folks have been predicting the decline and fall of Abreu? But, he just keeps getting better 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

How many seasons is it now folks have been predicting the decline and fall of Abreu? But, he just keeps getting better 

Yep. When you look at the year that he had, he actually go better as an all around hitter. I've always maintained that Jose had suffered because of a lack of a quality hitter behind him. He started to really blossom into more than just a Hr/RBI guy in 2019 but when this season really took care of putting quality bats behind him as well as ahead of him, He could focus on not swinging at bad pitches as well as taking the outside pitch to right field and yeah, taking a walk knowing that the next guy up was perfectly capable of driving in runs also.

19 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Eventually age hits everyone.  I am glad he is excelling however he is not going to be here in his 40s being this version of Abreu.  Eventually time gets everyone.   

Abreu is still very good but with contract he also doesn't have much projected surplus value. You could trade him but wouldn't get much back (maybe a 45fv prospect or so).

Even vaughn doesn't have a huge amount of trade value because the market doesn't love short right handed first basemen. Don't get me wrong, vaughn has good trade value because the industry believes he will be like a 120 WRC+ hitter with a very high likelihood but it is more you are getting a good young 3 starter for him instead of a TOR. Don't want to give him up for that.

Now there is a chance that vaughn gets even better than that of course. Some experts say his absolute ceiling is essentially paul goldschmidt who averaged like 5 war during his prime (as a 60fv they project vaughn to average 3 WAR) and in that case of course you get a TOR for him (if he has proven that on the mlb level for 2 seasons) but I wouldn't want to trade paul goldschmidt.

Edited by Dominikk85

21 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

Eventually age hits everyone.  I am glad he is excelling however he is not going to be here in his 40s being this version of Abreu.  Eventually time gets everyone.   

That's a ways down the road. He is really in his prime right now and probably has three prime quality seasons ahead of him. I really love to watch Jose hit.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, southsideirish71 said:

We don’t know that. He works his butt off to remain physically fit and improve on the field. Fantastic work ethic. Look at Yadier Molina and some others 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:51 PM, elrockinMT said:

I don’t necessarily know if he’s getting better or it was a reflection of the lineup, he continues to rake just didn’t have to press and be the only mode offense for the Sox. He actually had protection for the first time in his career.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:51 PM, elrockinMT said:

As others have mentioned, father time will get to him at some point.

IMO, Abreu's performance this year was a bit of an anomaly. I fully expect regression next year. I don't think he'll be bad -- he's a stud, but we can't expect a performance close to that again. 

Same thing goes with Keuchel, he's ripe for regression which has me really worried about the rotation this upcoming year. 

If Abreu falters, even harshly, it won't matter as much since our offense is insane. 

But back to the main point -- we shouldn't be trading Vaughn. The recipe for long term success involves NOT trading Madrigal/Vaughn/Kopech/Dunning. 

You trade depth gambits of prospects like San Diego has done in the Clevinger deal, or how HOU did in their years. I'd happily talk/discuss pretty much everybody in our system outside of guys like Madrigal/Vaughn/Dunning