Ray a Jay (1/$8M)

Chicago White Sox

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While he has his flaws, I think the fact Ray agreed to this deal this fast shows just team friendly this free agent period is going to be.

Honestly, Robbie Ray getting $8M guaranteed after his 2020 and the current state of the world was very surprising to me. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly, Robbie Ray getting $8M guaranteed after his 2020 and the current state of the world was very surprising to me. 

You think it’s a lot?  Feels about right to me in this market, I’m just more surprised he agreed to the deal so quickly.

For reference, MLBtraderumors ranked him as the 37th best free agent and projected him for a 1/$6M deal.  Fangraphs had him ranked 46th overall with Craig Edwards actually predicting this actual contract, but their median crowdsourcing predicting 2/$17M.

Realistically, the big takeaway here is there will be a ton of C tier starters that should be available on affordable one-year deals this offseason.  I think guys like Quintana, Minor, Kluber, Richards, Happ, Wainwright, Archer, & Smyly will all be available in the 1/$5M to 1/$12M range, so tons of flexibility depending on what else you do to improve the roster.  If the goal is to add two starters this offseason, we would be able to get a decent second one on the cheap if we just wait things out a bit.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think it’s a lot?  Feels about right to me in this market, I’m just more surprised he agreed to the deal so quickly.

For reference, MLBtraderumors ranked him as the 37th best free agent and projected him for a 1/$6M deal.  Fangraphs had him ranked 46th overall with Craig Edwards actually predicting this actual contract, but their median crowdsourcing predicting 2/$17M.

Realistically, the big takeaway here is there will be a ton of C tier starters that should be available on affordable one-year deals this offseason.  I think guys like Quintana, Minor, Kluber, Richards, Happ, Wainwright, Archer, & Smyly will all be available in the 1/$5M to 1/$12M range, so tons of flexibility depending on what else you do to improve the roster.  If the goal is to add two starters this offseason, we would be able to get a decent second one on the cheap if we just wait things out a bit.

It makes sense for him to take that offer and run. If a team is offering more than what the market was projecting for him, lock it up. I feel like if other players are signed and set the market, he doesn't get that offer once other teams see how depressed contract offers are. Good for him.

47 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Seems right to me. In 2019 I think he gets 10 mill (see Porcello). 20% off is my expected bench mark this offseason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I figured there would be an early and quick fury as a few teams try to get their top targets via their limited budgets. Then poof. The market disappears until at least Valentine's Day.

Yes for various reasons on both sides, labor and management.  If the pie has shrunk those first to the table will get the biggest bites.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This ... I'd be very interested in a Kluber, Rich Hill and to a point - Wainwright, Quintana. 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yes for various reasons on both sides, labor and management.  If the pie has shrunk those first to the table will get the biggest bites.