German Marquez: Trade Target

Orlando

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

@Y2Jimmy0 are you the Portillos guy or do you have the same sources because he has mentioned both Springer and Marquez as targets

Like I've said, I have no reason to use a burner. There's nothing stopping me from reporting what I think I've heard credibly. That account is either really good and stealing info or knows someone though because I've heard lots of those same things over time. 

Man, trying to engage in a Marquez trade is tough.

I see the rationale. Rockies have 7 spots to fill and are at roughly $135 million. They have been leapfrogged by the Padres for 2nd. Their pitching is good but their hitting is abysmal and they have some good but not sure-thing hitting prospects coming up.

They are in that tough spot where they are likely to be bad even if they try to be good.

However, Marquez is very good and also very cheap for the next 4 seasons. If I'm reading B-R right, he has a 2.5 mil team option in 2024 (can turn into a mutual option, not sure how).

I've been really nervous paying for cheap control with pitchers on trades just because of injuries and how expensive it is. So I think he could be available, but given Rodgers is now a 2b...how is this deal done without a Vaughn? That is a reasonable deal across parties.

But if that happens, you'd hope it happens because RF has gone from tread water to springer for next 5 years.

The rox trading marquez to start over for a bunch of volatile, arb-clock-started pitching prospects makes little sense. I know that's the rockies brand, but, if they say "we are trading german marquez to best suitor" then a tampa bay that can trump us left and right. Pads/Minny would jump in.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Do you guys think Madrigal, Cease, Stiever, and Adolfo is enough to get Marquez?

I think White Sox Dave has the best outline:

Two big pieces + decent third piece + flyer

Dave's deal is:

Kopech, Cease/Madrigal, Adolfo, Filler

13 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I love this idea, but I don't see how it gets done without trading Vaughn. Unless the Rockies want to toss in Charlie Blackmon and his terrible contract, then maybe it could work without Vaughn.

Same, and madrigal would be like, exactly the same issue the rest of their offense has. Just remarkable lack of power in tha tlineup.

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% Kopech would be involved in a trade for Marquez and I would 100% be ok with that.  I just worry about the secondary pieces in all honesty as the Rockies would want a big #2 prospect.

Agreed.  I think I would give up Kopech and Cease for Marquez., but I could be convinced otherwise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I am completely unfamiliar with Marquez.  What makes him worth the suggested acquisition cost, aside from being 25 and signed through 2024?  

He's a really solid number 2 or 3 starter. His contract and career line up very closely to Quintana in 2016 so that should be about the level of return the Rockies would be looking to get if they dealt him. According to Fangraphs Quintana was the #25 most valuable trade piece in 2016 and Marquez was #22 this year.

His career ERA on the road is 3.51 in 341.1 IP and his FIP and xFIP are both 3.82 so that isn't flukey. His numbers at home are much less impressive since he pitches at Coors, but his 5.10 ERA does not at all line up with the 3.89 FIP and 3.38 xFIP. His career BB/9 is only 2.24 so he doesn't hand out many free passes and he's at 9.08 K/9 which is solid, but he's not exactly a strikeout pitcher. His career GB% is 47.9% so he's not in the Kuechel range of inducing ground balls, but he probably should be considered a "ground ball pitcher."

He would come in and right away be the #2 starter on the White Sox, possibly #1.

Edited by TomPickle

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

You can see the correlation with all the information that’s out there and what has been discussed this offseason so far. 

Yup, specifically paying a high price in a trade for a financially cheap but effective pitcher because they don't really have the money to fill that role through FA and know they have to fill it.

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yup, specifically paying a high price in a trade for a financially cheap but effective pitcher because they don't really have the money to fill that role through FA and know they have to fill it.

I actually think they will sign a big name free agent but for a TOR SP, ehhh we shall see. More likely a backend of the rotation starter in free agency. I think the offseason will look something like this or similar.

Free Agency

RF: Springer

2nd: Wong

SP: Quintana or Kluber

Trade

SP: Marquez, Lynn or Darvish

There’s your splash offseason. Lol

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Not a chance i would trade kopech or cease 

Cease?!?

German is less than a year older than Cease and is better at literally every aspect of pitching aside from throwing the ball fast and even in that he's not far behind Cease. Cease averaged 97.5 mph on his fastball and Marquez averaged 95.7 mph.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

Cease?!?

German is less than a year older than Cease and is better at literally every aspect of pitching aside from throwing the ball fast and even in that he's not far behind Cease. Cease averaged 97.5 mph on his fastball and Marquez averaged 95.7 mph.

I want to see what another pitching coach can do for Cease and someone i respect Rick Sutcliffe loves cease and has talked about cease for years and that is good enough for me, the difference between German and other free agents is not enough for what the Sox would have to give up it is not worth giving up Kopech or Cease.

• Like 2

The thing with Cease is he does throw hard but you don’t need to throw hard in the majors if you have filthy stuff. If your fastball tops out at say 95.7 mph and if you have filthy breaking stuff that 95.7 mph fastball is going to feel like or look like 98 or higher from the batter’s perspective. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

The thing with Cease is he does throw hard but you don’t need to throw hard in the majors if you have good breaking stuff. If your fastball tops out at say 95.7 mph if you have good breaking stuff that 95.7 mph fastball is going to feel like or look like 98 or higher from the batter’s perspective. 

The thing with Cease is that we've seen really, really good breaking stuff in spring/exhibition/minor league games that we haven't seen in the big leagues.

• Like 1