German Marquez: Trade Target

Orlando

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

This excites me. The Rockies were a team I really narrowed in on as a great trade partner. 

a) they suck at building a baseball team, handling talent, contracts, and assessing talent. Means we should theoretically be able to get the better end of a deal

b) they are cash strapped and stuck in no-mans land. They really messed up badly. Story, Arenado, Blackmon, etc etc. etc. plus all their young talent ... man they should've been able to either cash in on that young talent and build a team for a 2-4 year run that would be ending around now, instead they did nothing, mismanaged and are in limbo.

c) they have some interesting targets if we're willing to get creative. Sucks because I wish the Sox used the black hole of RF over the past 2-3 years to try out some alternatives. Aka, woulda been nice to try McCann in RF or Moncada in RF, Anderson in RF etc. Not saying any of those are ideal at all. But we sucked anyways, might as well have tried it out while losing. But woulda been nice to explore bringing in Arenado, Story, Rodgers, etc. in some capacity. As it is I don't think we can really bring in any of those guys. Realistically we can explore a Dahl who is basically just Mazara -- maybe better? maybe worse? probably about the same. You have Blackmon with a bloated contract, but could make some sense if it nets you a Marquez without having to give up a Kopech ... aka Cease + Burger for Blackmon and Marquez. 

d) other guys - Dahl, Blackmon, Hampson **** like him a lot, Hilliard, Jon Gray. Obviously Arenado if there's a spot you can find for him, etc. etc. Sox should totally pull the trigger if they can get and give up the right package. 

I'm all for a deal, but wouldn't give Kopech or Vaughn or Madrigal in a deal --- which is to say ... I wouldn't pay as much as the Rox probably want for him. He's a good pitcher, but not worth that price. i'd rather go get a Joe Musgrove at a much lesser price than pay that tag on a Marquez. 

I read just the other day that Vaughn was getting some work in their camp at 3RD BASE. That also is Burger's natural position. What if the do pull the trigger on Madrigal and move Moncada back to 2nd base?

11 hours ago, The Hawk said:

I read just the other day that Vaughn was getting some work in their camp at 3RD BASE. That also is Burger's natural position. What if the do pull the trigger on Madrigal and move Moncada back to 2nd base?

I'd entertain for sure. I'm a bit outside the box in terms of my like for Madrigal. I know it goes against a lot of the modern day baseball theory - i just look at Madrigal as almost the glue of a team like this ... meaning he's almost Scotty Pods or Iguchi of the 2005 team to me. The guy who just does his job and starts/extends rallies. I always felt like when Scotty Pods came up it was like "oh, this inning isn't over yet" meaning he could hit a single, steal second, and then iguchi just would drop one in shallow center and its a run across the board. That's how I feel when Madrigal comes up to bat. It could be 2 outs, nobody on. I feel like he's going to single, then turn it over to Anderson who can put one in the gap. 

It's a long winded way of saying I think his value to the Sox is more than his trade value. 

I'd consider all options - I do feel like this offseason is an opportune one though where it seems like we should be able to "buy" trades and/or FA at a discounted price. I'd much rather fill the holes/gap that way than trading away some real high floor guys like a Vaughn and Madrigal. 

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'd entertain for sure. I'm a bit outside the box in terms of my like for Madrigal. I know it goes against a lot of the modern day baseball theory - i just look at Madrigal as almost the glue of a team like this ... meaning he's almost Scotty Pods or Iguchi of the 2005 team to me. The guy who just does his job and starts/extends rallies. I always felt like when Scotty Pods came up it was like "oh, this inning isn't over yet" meaning he could hit a single, steal second, and then iguchi just would drop one in shallow center and its a run across the board. That's how I feel when Madrigal comes up to bat. It could be 2 outs, nobody on. I feel like he's going to single, then turn it over to Anderson who can put one in the gap. 

It's a long winded way of saying I think his value to the Sox is more than his trade value. 

I'd consider all options - I do feel like this offseason is an opportune one though where it seems like we should be able to "buy" trades and/or FA at a discounted price. I'd much rather fill the holes/gap that way than trading away some real high floor guys like a Vaughn and Madrigal. 

I hear you. I like Madrigal and sure wouldn't just give him away. What you are talking about, I think, are the kind of "grit" type players that lend a different dimension to a team. To me, Engel is another example of a guy who can do a sort of special stuff for a team and has a value that goes behind general stats.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can we please stop quoting Schins? The guy is literally some dork who makes up rumors in his basement and his only connection to the White Sox comes through his emails in MLB the Show.

I agree. James Fox, Portillos or bust 

Edited by Orlando

23 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Vaughn straight up.  Do it rick!

Straight up for German? How many years are on his contract? They do have some other promising hitters coming up that can be penciled in at 1B/DH as in Burger and Sheets or they also can think about moving Eloy over to first base/DH also.  But I'd want more than a short term future for the guy I traded Vaughn for.

11 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Straight up for German? How many years are on his contract? They do have some other promising hitters coming up that can be penciled in at 1B/DH as in Burger and Sheets or they also can think about moving Eloy over to first base/DH also.  But I'd want more than a short term future for the guy I traded Vaughn for.

Rox don't want Vaughn.   They'll want arms and Kopech plus Cease won't get it done.  This board should move on from talk of Marquez and think in terms of Darvish, Musgrove and Lynn. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

I still say keep the talent and spend in free agency. Players like Vaughn, Cease, and Kopech don’t come around often.

It’d be a shame to trade them away when we can fill the rotation spots in free agency.

other than Bauer, which FA pitchers should we pursue?