German Marquez: Trade Target

Orlando

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

How much is that number skewed by Coors?

I was comparing it to his own numbers so more a factor of the 2020 drop off + his own improvement. It's why I'm not sure he was that much better this year.

Some of the trade requests in this thread are pretty outlandish.

If we can acquire German Marquez for a trade similar to what the Padres did to get Clevinger, I'm in.

No way do we trade Vaughn (unless it's in a mega deal where we get Arenando).

I'd 100% be OK with a trade involving Kopech and not many other pieces.

I'd prefer a trade involving Cease + 4 or so more prospects 

No way am I trading Madrigal/Vaughn or more than Kopech

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The emotional bond or attachment to certain players on this board is something else. When you rebuild towards winning championships, you groom or grow your farm to create value for future acquisitions; this means you may have to give up some of those pieces you developed during the rebuild to acquire pieces that will help you win championships. I’m not saying giving up the whole farm but you have to give up something to achieve something. I think the problem is some people, not all on this board are so used to losing because there mind is already trained on it or they have this perception that the rebuild is still going. It’s over folks, time to move on and start winning championships.

It feels like the collective mindset of the board is...lets trade for (fill in the name of a high-value stud) and we'll reluctantly trade Kopech, Cease, Vaughn and/or fillers (although we'd prefer not trading any of them).

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

Why do you believe the Brewers would trade Woodruff and who are you proposing we send back? 

I do not.

But, as someone not a fan of paying for control in trades, I would be more supportive of him than Marquez.

15 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

HR/FB rates by season since 2017

Home: 20.3%, 21.3%, 22.0% 9.4%

Away: 11.4%, 12.0%, 18.8%, 10.0%

Last year was low, but I think that's pretty easily explained away by SSS. I don't think he has that big of a HR issue.

I don’t think he has an issue, I think the dip made last year seem better even though it’s likely an aberration.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let's just get crazy for a second and say you have $150M payroll to work with this offseason.  If you aggregate all of these rumors, you could be looking at something like the below for 2021.  Yes it would suck to lose to Kopech & Madrigal, but that team could be the AL favorite next year.

2021 roster v2.PNG

I like it but I'm guessing Archer might be done and the package for Marquuez might be a bit light. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let's just get crazy for a second and say you have $150M payroll to work with this offseason.  If you aggregate all of these rumors, you could be looking at something like the below for 2021.  Yes it would suck to lose to Kopech & Madrigal, but that team could be the AL favorite next year.

2021 roster v2.PNG

Swap Archer with Kluber, or Quintana and you have a solid rotation.

This excites me. The Rockies were a team I really narrowed in on as a great trade partner. 

a) they suck at building a baseball team, handling talent, contracts, and assessing talent. Means we should theoretically be able to get the better end of a deal

b) they are cash strapped and stuck in no-mans land. They really messed up badly. Story, Arenado, Blackmon, etc etc. etc. plus all their young talent ... man they should've been able to either cash in on that young talent and build a team for a 2-4 year run that would be ending around now, instead they did nothing, mismanaged and are in limbo.

c) they have some interesting targets if we're willing to get creative. Sucks because I wish the Sox used the black hole of RF over the past 2-3 years to try out some alternatives. Aka, woulda been nice to try McCann in RF or Moncada in RF, Anderson in RF etc. Not saying any of those are ideal at all. But we sucked anyways, might as well have tried it out while losing. But woulda been nice to explore bringing in Arenado, Story, Rodgers, etc. in some capacity. As it is I don't think we can really bring in any of those guys. Realistically we can explore a Dahl who is basically just Mazara -- maybe better? maybe worse? probably about the same. You have Blackmon with a bloated contract, but could make some sense if it nets you a Marquez without having to give up a Kopech ... aka Cease + Burger for Blackmon and Marquez. 

d) other guys - Dahl, Blackmon, Hampson **** like him a lot, Hilliard, Jon Gray. Obviously Arenado if there's a spot you can find for him, etc. etc. Sox should totally pull the trigger if they can get and give up the right package. 

I'm all for a deal, but wouldn't give Kopech or Vaughn or Madrigal in a deal --- which is to say ... I wouldn't pay as much as the Rox probably want for him. He's a good pitcher, but not worth that price. i'd rather go get a Joe Musgrove at a much lesser price than pay that tag on a Marquez. 

• Fire 1

German Marquez has the 9th highest surplus value among ML starting pitchers (98M). Giolito is 6th at 122M. Shane Bieber is far and away the leader at 238M. For perspective, Cease SV=20, Keuchel SV=34, Madrigal=29, Vaughn=45 and Eloy=80. This is obviously a function of K value/yrs. of control vs. just performance (hence no Gerrit Cole among top 20). 

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

2021 roster v2.PNG

Imagine this but with Chris Carpenter instead of Archer