La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

Just now, mqr said:

I ironically just watched the episode of Veep where they have to lie about who knew what when, so they don’t look like the people in charge don’t know what is going on

But they didn’t lie here, they actually owed up to knowing.  Like no doubt Jerry probably knew eight or nine months ago, he just doesn’t give a fuck about what anyone thinks unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think he wins?  I got to think Cash is the favorite, but what do I know?  Couldn’t be better timing to enrage the fanbase a bit more.

Probably not, but it would be hilarious now so I'm rooting for it. Agreed that Cash probably gets it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think he wins?  I got to think Cash is the favorite, but what do I know?  Couldn’t be better timing to enrage the fanbase a bit more.

I will laugh at the Sox if RR wins it, and I hope he does.  Some level of karmic justice for the dumpster fire they caused after. 

• Like 5

I apologize for being so excited about the LaRussa hire. I mistakenly figured the DUI in his past was a one-time thing. To get one DUI is bad (though I know many who've gotten them; not me), but to get two when you can call for an Uber is indefensible. All you have to do is call an Uber. The Sox have to fire him.

DUIs are unacceptable in any era. To not take an Uber or Lyft is just sticking your middle finger to society and safety. I need to read through the thread but I do apologize for wanting Tony to be Sox manager. I just incorrectly assumed his first DUI was a mistake and many people make mistakes. But to keep him now is wrong on many levels.

Jerry probably should sell the team in response to this, but I doubt he will. The reason I say that is if the reports are true he knew about the DUI the day before Tony was hired, that's pretty despicable. I have no excuses. I thought Tony was a great choice as a Hall of Famer but obviously he has problems and the biggest problem is he endangered others in breaking the law.

My deepest apologies to Sox fans and humanity for thinking Tony was the only choice.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe Jerry Reinsdorf is executing a 300iq move here. He wants more than anything to prove his loyalty to a good friend (TLR). He interviews TLR as a sign of respect, with no intention to hire him. Once Jerry hears about the DUI, he knows TLR can't realistically be the manager.

However - the public doesn't know yet. Jerry knows the public backlash will be bad and a convenient excuse to force La Russa to resign. 

Jerry shows the ultimate sign of loyalty by giving good ole TLR his old job back. Jerry waits for the DUI be public and tells TLR he must resign. Jerry never had any intention of making La Russa the manager. Jerry just wanted to make him think he was going to be manager, to earn his respect back.

Go to a week from now. Bochy is conveniently still available and is hired to manage. 

The DUI  case was filed on Oct. 28 -- one day before La Russa was officially hired by the White Sox. It is quite possible  that Tony did not mention the possibility that he might be charged for DUI ( for an incidental that occurred 8 months previously)  when he interviewed with the White Sox .  Obviously LaRussa hoped that Maricopa County would not charge him after all that time went by.

I would wait for the Sox to make an official announcement before drawing any more conclusions.

Edited by tray

24 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Nightengale saying a “top level employee” says La Russa faces no threat of firing or discipline makes me kind of believe they are setting the stage for him to step away with honor

Damn I hope so.  The story is out there and there is no more covering it up.  The only tenable solution is for La Russa to walk away. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Damn I hope so.  The story is out there and there is no more covering it up.  The only tenable solution is for La Russa to walk away. 

I  sincerely hope this is the case, but EVERYONE in the White Sox organization can believe that's the case, but if Reinsdorf & La Russa dig their heals in there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. If Reinsdorf cared about bad PR La Russa wouldn't be their manager in the first place.

• Like 5

As one of the few people on here who defended the LaRussa hire, I would have to agree that this is a very bad look for Tony LaRussa and Jerry Reinsdorf, who appears ready to stand by LaRussa and not punish him for the DUI.

I would also say that those calling for LaRussa to be let go are likely to be disappointed. It appears the Sox knew about the incident, and moved ahead anyway.

Even though the headlines about being charged the day before he was hired might lead some to believe he just committed the DUI, or committed it after the hiring conversations, it occurred months ago in Arizona.

As I've said all along, I don't know if Tony is going to work. But the DUI by itself doesn't change the reasons the Sox chose to hire him - his baseball acumen. He got a DUI in 2007, apparently, and it didn't prevent him from leading the Cardinals to a World Series win in 2011. 

So, Tony LaRussa might lack the character that would endear you to root for him. But he might also be a skillful and successful major league manager for the Sox. 

Despite the widespread criticism, I think we're going to find out. 

• Like 1