La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

Jerry Reinsdorf on Tony LaRussa returning to managing, February 2020:

"Managing, it just takes an awful lot out of you. There's nothing else for him to accomplish. You know, he's won three World Series, and uh, he's in the Hall of Fame. And so, there's no reason for him to go back to managing,  and have to try to deal with people 22 years old when you're 75 years old."

6:23 mark

Tweet of the day goes to Kevin Kaduk

To recap:

1. Reinsdorf floated La Russa trial balloon in media for multiple weeks.

2. Fans hated it.

3. At some undetermined point, Sox found out about about TLR DUI.

4. Despite Nos. 2 and 3, Reinsdorf goes over his GM and hires TLR anyway.

No words.

— Kevin Kaduk, Midway Minute (@KevinKaduk) November 10, 2020

Will Reinsdorf look to bury this story by overspending on top tier FAs?  You rack up enough A-list players, and all of the sudden the story turns into how awesome the Sox look for 2021

Imean that would help me forget about this, idk about you guys 😂

With an owner like Reinsdorf, you just simply will not have sustained success. He has been the biggest obstacle to winning White Sox baseball, and unfortunately, this organization won't turn around until he is gone. 

Hiring LaRussa was embarrassing enough. Now this. At a legitimate existential crisis with my White Sox fandom. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, VAfan said:

As one of the few people on here who defended the LaRussa hire, I would have to agree that this is a very bad look for Tony LaRussa and Jerry Reinsdorf, who appears ready to stand by LaRussa and not punish him for the DUI.

I would also say that those calling for LaRussa to be let go are likely to be disappointed. It appears the Sox knew about the incident, and moved ahead anyway.

Even though the headlines about being charged the day before he was hired might lead some to believe he just committed the DUI, or committed it after the hiring conversations, it occurred months ago in Arizona.

As I've said all along, I don't know if Tony is going to work. But the DUI by itself doesn't change the reasons the Sox chose to hire him - his baseball acumen. He got a DUI in 2007, apparently, and it didn't prevent him from leading the Cardinals to a World Series win in 2011. 

So, Tony LaRussa might lack the character that would endear you to root for him. But he might also be a skillful and successful major league manager for the Sox. 

Despite the widespread criticism, I think we're going to find out. 

How do his 2007 statements that it would “never happen again” look now? Does He have a purported problem with insincere statements? 

On the bright side it doesn't seem like he'll have too many rules about partying for the young guys to follow. 

Alllllllrighty boys wait until we get to Detroit, there are some great clubs in Canada. And we're fucking off the rails in KC it's the bees knees. 

Cut and paste

"I would like to thank the White Sox organization and especially the Chairman Jerry (who seems to be the only person wanting me) for having given me the opportunity to end my career with the best job in baseball, manager of this team. I was excited to be a part of great team and the certain success that will happen. However, it's clear that my pending legal issues, and pretend trip to rehab, would be a distraction to this team. Therefore I am announcing my resignation effective immediately."

Hey guys is Turtles open at 9 am?

End cut and paste

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But they didn’t lie here, they actually owed up to knowing.  Like no doubt Jerry probably knew eight or nine months ago, he just doesn’t give a fuck about what anyone thinks unfortunately.

They knew before hiring him per reports they haven’t refuted and said nothing, despite knowing it would come out and that there would be people asking about it. A lie of omission is a type of lie.

33 minutes ago, Texsox said:

However, it's clear that my pending legal issues, and pretend trip to rehab

They tried to make me go to rehab, but  I said “no, no, no”

Yes I’ve been black, but when I come back, you’ll know, know, know

I ain’t got the time, and if Jerry thinks I’m fine.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They knew before hiring him per reports they haven’t refuted and said nothing, despite knowing it would come out and that there would be people asking about it. A lie of omission is a type of lie.

What in the world are you talking about?  They acknowledged they knew about this, they have no obligation to publicize the legal issues of an employee.  The issue is they hired La Russa in the first place despite this DUI, not that they failed to announce his personal garbage to social media.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the world are you talking about?  They acknowledged they knew about this, they have no obligation to publicize the legal issues of an employee.  The issue is they hired La Russa in the first place despite this DUI, not that they failed to announce his personal garbage to social media.

Oh come on, the guy literally had charges filed against him the day before the press conference and they all said nothing of it. What is one to conclude other than they didn’t want to have to comment on it at the time, so they kept their mouths shut about it? That’s a lie of omission, they didn’t want to deal with it at their press conference so they hid it. They have a legal right to do so, but it tells you their motivation; they covered it up so that their press conference would look better. That’s a lie of omission, not releasing info you have to avoid hard questions about that info.

• Lying by omission, also known as a continuing misrepresentation or quote mining, occurs when an important fact is left out in order to foster a misconception. Lying by omission includes the failure to correct pre-existing misconceptions. For example, when the seller of a car declares it has been serviced regularly, but does not mention that a fault was reported during the last service, the seller lies by omission. It may be compared to dissimulation. An omission is when a person tells most of the truth, but leaves out a few key facts that therefore, completely obscures the truth.[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie#Types_and_associated_terms

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh come on, the guy literally had charges filed against him the day before the press conference and they all said nothing of it. What is one to conclude other than they didn’t want to have to comment on it at the time, so they kept their mouths shut about it? That’s a lie of omission, they didn’t want to deal with it at their press conference so they hid it. They have a legal right to do so, but it tells you their motivation; they covered it up so that their press conference would look better. That’s a lie of omission, not releasing info you have to avoid hard questions about that info.

Lol...did you really expect them to announce this during his hiring press conference?  “Oh one last thing, Tony was charged with suspicion of DUI in Arizona from an incident back in February.  If no one has any other questions, I guess we’ll call it a wrap for today.”

You need to stop grasping at straws here and focus on the issue which is Reinsdorf.  Hahn & KW shouldn’t have to resign over this, the PR group isn’t “lying” about this, no one in the org is at fault for this except for Jerry.  He put the entire club in an impossible spot by putting his selfish interests over those of the organization.  The reality is we should have never hired La Russa in the first place and everyone other than Jerry is trying to make the best of a shitty situation.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Now would be an excellent time for a Bruce Bochy detour with Sam Fuld brought on as bench coach and Ethan Katz as pitching coach.  Act like it never actually happened and hopefully all is forgiven by opening day.

Bochy would make me feel better. Problem going forward with LaRussa is yes he was caught, but how many times did he not get caught? The stench of this will stay for a while and a change needs to be made! Bring on Bochy!

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tony didn't want to get back into the real managing role, getting to know players, building relationships and earning trust.

He wanted to show up for a playoff game and show the "analytics guys" that he knew better.

Just cut your losses now guys.

• Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...did you really expect them to announce this during his hiring press conference?  “Oh one last thing, Tony was charged with suspicion of DUI in Arizona from an incident back in February.  If no one has any other questions, I guess we’ll call it a wrap for today.”

You need to stop grasping at straws here and focus on the issue which is Reinsdorf.  Hahn & KW shouldn’t have to resign over this, the PR group isn’t “lying” about this, no one in the org is at fault for this except for Jerry.  He put the entire club in an impossible spot by putting his selfish interests over those of the organization.  The reality is we should have never hired La Russa in the first place and everyone other than Jerry is trying to make the best of a shitty situation.

No I didn’t expect them to, I would have expected them to lie, because they’re scum who think their fans are pathetic and owe them allegiance.

If they were confident they were making the right decision, then having LaRummy address it up front is exactly what they should have done. But they lied, left that part out, because they wanted to make their 💩 look better during the press conference and were hoping either it wouldn’t come out or there would be less attention when it did, which is probably true. Frankly this is probably why they’ve been hiding him from the media for the last 2 weeks, because they were worried someone would have this.

The last thing they wanted was for LaRummy to be asked why it’s ok for him to be belligerent with a cop while Tim Anderson could be shot for that, and LaRummy sincerely considers that to be something that shouldn’t be protested.

They were, by definition, lying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know it won’t do anything, but I just emailed Reifert the following which made me feel better

SUBJECT: La Russa

”What a displaceable coaching hire and you guys should be absolutely embarrassed right now.  You literally had an opportunity to win back the city & develop a new lifeline of Sox fans, but instead you undid all the goodwill you created in one fair swoop.  For better or worse, I’m stuck with this team regardless of the frequent frustration it brings to my life, but I’m done trying to get my sons invested in an organization that knowingly hired a 76 year old arrested for his second DUI to be their manager.  They deserve much better than an organization who puts the owner’s personal needs over the well-being of their own players and fanbase.”

I  inquired about cancelling my season tickets this morning and more should do the same.  Send a message where it will hurt Jerry $$$$.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Bochy would make me feel better. Problem going forward with LaRussa is yes he was caught, but how many times did he not get caught? The stench of this will stay for a while, but a change needs to be made! Bring on Bochy!

The problem is even if La Russa is still a good in-game tactician (which remains to be seen at his age and being out of the game for a decade) he’s lost all credibility with this clubhouse before he even coached a game.  He’s a hypocritical, ego driven curmudgeon who has already confirmed why it was a mistake to hire him in the first place.  If I’m Tim Anderson and was willing to give him a chance to right his wrong when it comes to his anti kneeling comments, why would I listen to Tony now after all his talk about “sincerity” when he himself is not held to such standards.  This latest DUI just proves La Russa is full of shit and is not remotely capable of leading young men in this day & age.

• Like 3

This isn't something that's going to go away.  It may look bad if the Sox fire him or he resigns, but it will look so much worse if nothing happens.  No apology from him or the club is going to make the fans feel better or make the national and local analysts forget this.

It's a shame that we have this very exciting young team poised for a long stretch of competitiveness now strapped with this BS.  I firmly believe this will hamper their ability to sign big free agents.  Not so much because they'd be playing for LaRussa, but because they'd be playing for a team that makes such horrendous decisions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No I didn’t expect them to, I would have expected them to lie, because they’re scum who think their fans are pathetic and owe them allegiance.

If they were confident they were making the right decision, then having LaRummy address it up front is exactly what they should have done. But they lied, left that part out, because they wanted to make their 💩 look better during the press conference and were hoping either it wouldn’t come out or there would be less attention when it did, which is probably true. Frankly this is probably why they’ve been hiding him from the media for the last 2 weeks, because they were worried someone would have this.

The last thing they wanted was for LaRummy to be asked why it’s ok for him to be belligerent with a cop while Tim Anderson could be shot for that, and LaRummy sincerely considers that to be something that shouldn’t be protested.

They were, by definition, lying.

You are insane.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

This isn't something that's going to go away.  It may look bad if the Sox fire him or he resigns, but it will look so much worse if nothing happens.  No apology from him or the club is going to make the fans feel better or make the national and local analysts forget this.

It's a shame that we have this very exciting young team poised for a long stretch of competitiveness now strapped with this BS.  I firmly believe this will hamper their ability to sign big free agents.  Not so much because they'd be playing for LaRussa, but because they'd be playing for a team that makes such horrendous decisions.

Eh, money always talks.  This really sucks but I'm still not of the belief that people are ruling the white Sox out completely because of this.