La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

It's a bad look, especially because now it looks like LaRussa and the team tried to hide it. But DUI's do happen and rarely, unless you are a school bus driver, do you lose your job. How this was handled was either LaRussa withheld the info, which would be fireable for sure, or it was amateur hour at 35th and Shields.  

This is DUI #2 which may indicate a problem, and a trip to a facility.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

At least he is a man of his word. From his 2007 DUI arrest

On the day of his guilty plea to the 2007 DUI, La Russa said in a statement: "I accept full responsibility for my conduct, and assure everyone that I have learned a very valuable lesson and that this will never occur again."

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Eh, money always talks.  This really sucks but I'm still not of the belief that people are ruling the white Sox out completely because of this.

But Jerry has never been one to open the checkbook and go get players. If I'm Trevor Bauer and I have a 5/125 offer from the Giants and a 5/125 offer from the Sox, why on earth would I voluntarily come be a part of this shitshow organization?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At least he is a man of his word. From his 2007 DUI arrest

On the day of his guilty plea to the 2007 DUI, La Russa said in a statement: "I accept full responsibility for my conduct, and assure everyone that I have learned a very valuable lesson and that this will never occur again."

Seems to lack a bit of sincerity...

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's a bad look, especially because now it looks like LaRussa and the team tried to hide it. But DUI's do happen and rarely, unless you are a school bus driver, do you lose your job. How this was handled was either LaRussa withheld the info, which would be fireable for sure, or it was amateur hour at 35th and Shields.  

This is DUI #2 which may indicate a problem, and a trip to a facility.

I don’t think they hid anything.  I just think our PR staff was put in an impossible position.  It’s not their job to announce the legal issues of an employee you are hiring, but I’m sure they didn’t want it to come out like this.  Unfortunately, this all comes to Jerry and he wanted La Russa regardless and they had to work under those parameters.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think they hid anything.  I just think our PR staff was put in an impossible position.  It’s not their job to announce the legal issues of an employee you are hiring, but I’m sure they didn’t want it to come out like this.  Unfortunately, this all comes to Jerry and he wanted La Russa regardless and they had to work under those parameters.

If the team knew about it, and thought it would never come out, that is just dumb. I could see if they didn't want him to get a million questions and didn't want RH to be asked a million questions, how they would have delayed letting this slip out. But they should have sent something out that they are aware of what has happened and it is being dealt with privately, and the team would have no further comment. But they waited for someone to break the story. That is amateur hour.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Danny Dravot said:

Get a DUI as a Private in the United States Army?

You’ll probably scrub the latrines every single day while they take months processing an awful discharge that provides no benefits and prohibits you from ever getting a good job again.

Get a DUI as a guy who’s been in and around Major League Baseball for nearly sixty years?

You’ll get to manage one of the hottest up and coming teams in the game!

That's not true. 

DUI rarely ever results in a dishonorable. Hell, I've known plenty of people who got DUI's in the military and ended up staying in. It was a running joke that you needed one to make Chief in the Air Force. Yeah, you're gonna be on the shit list, lose rank. If you were a POS before, it could mean the end of your career, but you're probably looking at a general discharge, not a DD. 

Still angers the f*ck about this, because Jerry should've known how bad the optics would be on this hire as is, and on top of that, he was arrested months ago. Just sell the team dude. You have gotten to the point of endangering the careers of these kids. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the team knew about it, and thought it would never come out, that is just dumb. I could see if they didn't want him to get a million questions and didn't want RH to be asked a million questions, how they would have delayed letting this slip out. But they should have sent something out that they are aware of what has happened and it is being dealt with privately, and the team would have no further comment. But they waited for someone to break the story. That is amateur hour.

And it's not just today. It will continue to live on, through the court proceedings, the arrest report, the video of the arrest, the video of the blood test. The conviction and jail sentence. 

Not to mention the fact that he has lost the ability to hold players accountable, when he does not hold himself accountable, nor does Jerry Reinsdorf. Ken and Rick need to do what they should have done two weeks ago, and say it's us or him.

3 minutes ago, Dan of Steel said:

That's not true. 

DUI rarely ever results in a dishonorable. Hell, I've known plenty of people who got DUI's in the military and ended up staying in. It was a running joke that you needed one to make Chief in the Air Force. Yeah, you're gonna be on the shit list, lose rank. If you were a POS before, it could mean the end of your career, but you're probably looking at a general discharge, not a DD. 

Still angers the f*ck about this, because Jerry should've known how bad the optics would be on this hire as is, and on top of that, he was arrested months ago. Just sell the team dude. You have gotten to the point of endangering the careers of these kids. 

Eh, I was joking. And I know how dishonorables work- your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't personally want to test the job market with anything less than an honorable.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was really hoping for a resignation this morning.  How depressing. 

I still think the fact that he hasn't hired any coaches and hasn't reached out to any players could be an indication that he will resign.  Maybe...

Just now, hogan873 said:

I still think the fact that he hasn't hired any coaches and hasn't reached out to any players could be an indication that he will resign.  Maybe...

I am hoping that the combination of bad PR, lack of contacting players, and being a national embarrassment twice now in a time period where we should be positively headlining the off season will be enough to force Tony to quit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am hoping that the combination of bad PR, lack of contacting players, and being a national embarrassment twice now in a time period where we should be positively headlining the off season will be enough to force Tony to quit.

I desperately hope that you are right, but the problem is that I kinda doubt that JR and TLR care about the embarrassment. JR wanted to make amends with his buddy and all TLR cares about is showing everyone that he is smarter than the analytics.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Let’s discuss a couple things here. First, let’s discuss the problem at hand. This habit that TLR has is very hard to break from but it can be stopped. This is the second time that this has happened though so there is a problem. The first time, ok it was a mistake. People make mistakes but it happened a second time so what makes you think he won’t do it again? It’s frustrating that JR may not see it that way and just not do anything about it.

Second, let’s discuss the issue with the DUI itself. You rarely see people getting fired from DUI’s. If the person is not convicted it just goes on there driving record. Running a background check isn’t going to show it right away, only his first DUI. He has to go through due process and than after it’s settled in court it goes on either his criminal record and driving record or just his driving record if he isn’t convicted. There’s a lot of uncertainties here on what’s going to happen so we just have to let this play out. It could be that TLR told them to not disclose the information to the media because it’s embarrassing for him but also his family. However, there is a good chance it was going to come out through the media anyways because the police have records or evidence of the arrest; this includes mug shots, details of the arrest, etc. so even if TLR told them to not disclose it, he and the team should’ve known that there’s a possibility that this would’ve been leaked anyways. 

I saw something earlier in the thread last night where he was described in the most recent arrest as being "argumentative". So if you want to know if this can get worse, video will probably come out soon showing him mouthing off to a cop.

39 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

But Jerry has never been one to open the checkbook and go get players. If I'm Trevor Bauer and I have a 5/125 offer from the Giants and a 5/125 offer from the Sox, why on earth would I voluntarily come be a part of this shitshow organization?

Honestly if he thinks the Giants are closer than the sox, enjoy that money.  That would be really fucking dumb imo

• Like 2