La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the team knew about it, and thought it would never come out, that is just dumb. I could see if they didn't want him to get a million questions and didn't want RH to be asked a million questions, how they would have delayed letting this slip out. But they should have sent something out that they are aware of what has happened and it is being dealt with privately, and the team would have no further comment. But they waited for someone to break the story. That is amateur hour.

But if that’s what Jerry & La Russa told them to do what other choice would our PR function have?  I don’t think anyone was naive enough to think this would never slip out, but the reality is most teams don’t hire someone with a pending crime to their name.  I honestly can’t recall a situation like this in my years as a sports fan.

7 hours ago, gusguyman said:

I really really hope there are fans in the stand in 2021 so I can see the look on Tony La Russa's face when the White Sox's season starts with fans greeting him with roaring boos. 

The Sox will play it off as if the fans were saying La Ruuuuuuussa 

45 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

But Jerry has never been one to open the checkbook and go get players. If I'm Trevor Bauer and I have a 5/125 offer from the Giants and a 5/125 offer from the Sox, why on earth would I voluntarily come be a part of this shitshow organization?

Because the Sox are better and he would keep more of that money playing here

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a drunk that's my worry.  Who even cares how bad it looks externally when a drunk is gonna lead the team everyday.

Nobody that gets two duiS doesn't have a drinking problem.  He has a drinking problem and now he's the manager.

Yes, it is obvious that he has a problem, and the White Sox had to know that when they decided to hire him. They not only made a bad choice, they are enabling an alcoholic. I have a feeling things are only going to worsen. Someone has to explain to me why this choice was made in the first place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why even hire him if he planned to step away the moment this was to go public?

The way I see it is he was arrested in February. When talks began with the Sox it was October. At no point between the rumors of the La Russa interest and the hire did the incident become public. 8 months had passed and the media did not catch on so old man Jerry probably thought he was in the safe zone. Now that it’s out and there is real outrage, we may see a change. Just my opinion.

Edited by Orlando

48 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a drunk that's my worry.  Who even cares how bad it looks externally when a drunk is gonna lead the team everyday.

Nobody that gets two duiS doesn't have a drinking problem.  He has a drinking problem and now he's the manager.

100%. Plus it is clear that he will have no accountability.

One potential issue is if Toronto is our ALCS opponent. If we clinch the pennant in Toronto -- maybe the William Harridge Trophy could be presented to LaRussa watching the game in an American hotel? Reinsdorf will probably watch the clincher with Tony so he doesn't feel left out. I'd imagine Jerry and Tony would stay in Niagara Falls so Jerry could drive over to Toronto with the Harridge Trophy after it's presented to LaRussa. 

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly if he thinks the Giants are closer than the sox, enjoy that money.  That would be really fucking dumb imo

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Because the Sox are better and he would keep more of that money playing here

The Giants were just an example. Pick a team. 

My point is that if all else is considered equal, players would choose the team that doesn't have a dumpster fire front office. 

21 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Does Bruce Bochy seem like a safe choice? 

Why would Bochy want to be a part of this after watching all of this go down for a guy who they picked over him? If he wants to manage again there will be better options. Reinsdorf isn’t going to pay him the highest manager salary in the league.

Plenty of other qualified candidates were available to the White Sox before La Russa’s hiring, and remain available now. The White Sox, though, were not about to take a chance on an unproven major-league coach or minor-league manager. Ready to win, they needed a sure thing, and in Reinsdorf’s estimation, La Russa best fit that description. The owner set the runaway train in motion. And unless he finds the emergency brake, he must live with the embarrassment.” OUCH

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why would Bochy want to be a part of this after watching all of this go down for a guy who they picked over him? If he wants to manage again there will be better options. Reinsdorf isn’t going to pay him the highest manager salary in the league.

Money

• Like 1

i'll just say as a sox fan I'm getting really tired of loving my team DESPITE something. Just very tiring. Life is short and i like watching good baseball, but also want to get behind guys i like. I'm getting closer and closer by the year of just becoming a GENERAL fan and just following teams that do it the right way and play good ball. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Very good young team and he wouldn't be the first person to say yes after a #1 couldn't or wouldn't take a job. For the right person, I believe the Sox manager position is still a very desirable landing spot, in spite of the clown show. 

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Plenty of other qualified candidates were available to the White Sox before La Russa’s hiring, and remain available now. The White Sox, though, were not about to take a chance on an unproven major-league coach or minor-league manager. Ready to win, they needed a sure thing, and in Reinsdorf’s estimation, La Russa best fit that description. The owner set the runaway train in motion. And unless he finds the emergency brake, he must live with the embarrassment.” OUCH

Keep going Ken, I'm almost there

• Love 3