La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

As someone who has never been charged with a DUI, I ask this question sincerely.  Does it normally take 8 months to be formally charged with a DUI after the actual arrest?

Is there sometimes an option to avoid the charges if, for example, TLR would have gone through a treatment program?  

The timing seems weird, as though he may have pissed someone off and he and the Sox thought he was going to get off without charges.

IMO the only way he can redeem himself is to announce that he was in treatment starting in February, has completely stopped drinking due to his age and his lack of judgement, and has contractually agreed to a zero tolerance alcohol policy with the Sox when hired.  Somehow I doubt that happened however.

1 minute ago, ThirdGen said:

As someone who has never been charged with a DUI, I ask this question sincerely.  Does it normally take 8 months to be formally charged with a DUI after the actual arrest?

Is there sometimes an option to avoid the charges if, for example, TLR would have gone through a treatment program?  

The timing seems weird, as though he may have pissed someone off and he and the Sox thought he was going to get off without charges.

IMO the only way he can redeem himself is to announce that he was in treatment starting in February, has completely stopped drinking due to his age and his lack of judgement, and has contractually agreed to a zero tolerance alcohol policy with the Sox when hired.  Somehow I doubt that happened however.

Possible that covid delayed a lot of this.

14 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

At the time Tony did say that what you call an anti-Obama rally was not political.  Seriously.  (I know it was, you guys.)  In Tony's defense, none of us should fault the guy for being a Republican.  It's his right.

I agree. I don't care about his politics and people can vote as they choose. It's his ability or no-ability to run the team that worries me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capital G said:

PR nightmare that TLR may not want to deal with. 

If he stays it'll be forgetten if the Sox spend and win. 

If they miss on FA and don't play well we'll hear about it all year. 

He knew it was going to be one when he signed up

5 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Sounds like there was some type of jurisdiction mistake which is why it took so long to charge him.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Did the Sox seriously think this would not become a PR nightmare?  That's what really blows my mind.  It's not like he was hired and then got the DUI (that would have been bad, but not this bad).

No, Jerry just doesn't care. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Did the Sox seriously think this would not become a PR nightmare?  That's what really blows my mind.  It's not like he was hired and then got the DUI (that would have been bad, but not this bad).

Yeah and hypocritical when he Jimmy said he was afraid to hire Hinch because of the backlash of hiring a cheater to manage lol

12 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

You are a lot more likely to be able to pull a deferral on a first charge. If you get to second, you get made an example of.

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah and hypocritical when he Jimmy said he was afraid to hire Hinch because of the backlash of hiring a cheater to manage lol

The irony of course is that the Sox TLR hire may well have provided an amount of cover to move the pressure away from Detroit during the process.

Guys, TLR isn't stepping down. He knew he got another DUI the day he got the new DUI. The Sox knew he had a DUI. These guys all have egos. TLR doesn't care about his DUI like he didn't care about the last one. He only cares he got caught. Just like he didn't care about steroids. Just like he doesn't care about his players or social isssues. He cares about himself only because in his mind he's Mr perfect HOF guy. 

If his two DUI's are for crashing a car and falling asleep in an intersection imagine how many other times he's driven drunk? The two times he got caught was because he was so bad at driving that he literally basically turned himself in. He's likely driven drunk HUNDREDS OF TIMES. 60 years of driving + considering it was more socially acceptable in the 70's/80's and he was younger then? I'd guess he's driven drunk 400-500 times. Once a month for 60 years = 720 times. 

I've had people in my life who are serial drunk drivers ... they always think they're above the law, better drivers than others, the law doesn't apply to them, etc. etc. TLR is that guy. 

He's proven his ego is HUGE. He's proven he doesn't follow rules (dui and steroids) hes proven that he does not have a very pristine track record around social issues ... yet here we are. This is like a $13 beer at the park, you have to suck it up and like it because it's uncle Jerry's world and if you want to have a break from your shitty life for a few hours to watch a game, well by damn, it will be done on billionaire jerry's terms. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1. No Free Agent is avoiding the Sox because TLR got a DUI
2. I said this before, but the majority of white people in baseball are Republicans; this may bother some, but it's simply a fact. Many would likely have attended the rally with Tony if asked.

Have you not seen Stroman's tweets? He would have a lot of questions to answer if he signs here.