La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

Just now, gusguyman said:

The thing that gets me - how the fuck did the Sox not have plans in place for this???

They knew it was happening, and they didn't have a PR gameplan ready? The best they can do is TLR barking "I have nothing to say" and hanging up? They should have had his pre-written statement framed besides his phone (because I assume he is old enough to still have an actual house phone), and had numerous plans ready to go depending on the backlash. This franchise is shockingly incompetent

I haven't read every post in this 20 page thread, but maybe the Sox knew about it prior to yesterday, but didn't know about it prior to hiring him.  I don't think Reifert's comments would be inaccurate based on that timeline.

Perhaps if that is the case, the Sox may actually decide to move on.  But realistically, they knew about it beforehand and didn't care.   

2 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I can't see JR giving in to public pressure. He just doesn't like people telling him how to run his team. Maybe if things get way out of hand, something may happen. But I don't know what that could be. The team will probably ride out the storm. I just don't understand why this hire was made in the first place. LaRussa, with his history, would be the last person I'd hire. Meanwhile, we are stuck with him. 

The only way TLR leaves is if he keeps getting questioned and pressed about this and decides to leave. 

Edited by Sockin

Just typical. Why does there have to be so much drama with the White Sox? If I didn't have so many years invested with this team I'd say F____ It! Not the fault of the players though, but why do we the fans have to get stuck with Reinsdorf?  If LaRussa stays it will be a very hard winter!

Edited by Saufley

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

The thing that gets me - how the fuck did the Sox not have plans in place for this???

They knew it was happening, and they didn't have a PR gameplan ready? The best they can do is TLR barking "I have nothing to say" and hanging up? They should have had his pre-written statement framed besides his phone (because I assume he is old enough to still have an actual house phone), and had numerous plans ready to go depending on the backlash. This franchise is shockingly incompetent

It makes sense to me why Hahn started his presser so odd. Ddin't he mention like this was a group decision and groups don't always agree or something? I remember thinking he was doing his lawyer speak, but instead of bullshitting us on FA signings it was about not wanting to hire TLR. 

12 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Pretty damn sad that one move is putting this entire rebuild in jeopardy.....

Which is why at the trade deadline  I wanted moves made to make a serious push for a championship.

It's why I cautioned people every chance I got when they started talking about making the playoffs in 2021, that assuming that is not a given.

It is why this news is no shock to me. It is why I can remain hopeful but never get carried away with optimism.

Being a Sox fan is always 1 step forward 3 steps back .

We always knew in the back of our minds that this front office was capable of screwing it all up.

This is a SHIT SHOW that has gone on a long long time.

• Like 3

Checked out a few lawyers' websites on advice for getting pulled over, this seems to be consensus.  As TLR has a DUI record, I suspect he already received this advice:

STEP 4 - Do not submit to any field sobriety tests.

Police can ask you to step out of your vehicle, however, they cannot force you to perform field sobriety tests. These tests are completely voluntary. When an officer asks you to step out of your vehicle you need to comply (but do not use your door or vehicle for balance when exiting). Once out of your vehicle, respectfully refuse to perform all field sobriety tests. Simply explain: "my lawyer told me to NEVER submit to these tests."

NOTE: never perform field sobriety tests, because they are very difficult and very specific balancing tests. If you have poor balance, you will definitely fail these tests (regardless of how much alcohol consumed). Even if you have great balance, you will still fail these tests, because of how difficult / specific they are.

STEP 5 - Do not submit to taking a chemical test (breath, blood, or urine).

When pulled over for DUI, politely decline when the officer asks you to take a breath, blood, or urine test, if you have been drinking. Why? For many reasons: 1. Breath tests produce unreliable results all the time for many different reasons (see here). 2. The officer is going to arrest you for DUI / OVI regardless of if you take a chemical test (even if you blow under the the legal limit).

After you refuse to take the chemical test, you will be subjected to (at least) a 1 year administrative license suspension (ALS) for refusing to take the test, BUT, you will have to serve (at least) a 1 year court-ordered suspension, anyways, if you are ultimately convicted of OVI. So there is little to no incentive to take a chemical test.

It should be noted, if you do take a breath, blood, or urine test and the results come back above the legal limit, it does not mean you are guilty of DUI / OVI. There are still many defenses that can be raised.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So he followed standard procedure, guilty or not.

It sounds like he was involved in Spring Training at the time, and had a dinner/drinks with other Angels employees.  He apparently was not fired or disciplined by the Angels.  It would be interesting to find out if the Sox spoke to anyone at the dinner regarding TLR's behavior that night prior to the hiring, or if the Angels were even aware of the arrest.

3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Probably because the departments of the org that would normally plan for this were not the ones included in the hiring process. If I was them, I'd want to let the owner clean up his mess too.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Probably because the departments of the org that would normally plan for this were not the ones included in the hiring process. If I was them, I'd want to let the owner clean up his mess too.

I honestly just think they never expected anyone to find out. He’d get charged, quietly spend the day or whatever in jail and no one would find out.

Someone tipped Passan off to this 100%. People aren’t just searching the Maciopa County court records to look for TLR. 

Edited by Sockin

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I can't see JR giving in to public pressure. He just doesn't like people telling him how to run his team. Maybe if things get way out of hand, something may happen. But I don't know what that could be. The team will probably ride out the storm. I just don't understand why this hire was made in the first place. LaRussa, with his history, would be the last person I'd hire. Meanwhile, we are stuck with him. 

He never will. In fact, the anger many had at the hire, just dug him in deeper. Remeber when the Sox won the division in 1983? His first comments weren't about winning they were about Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall being "wrong" and scum. When the Sox won the division in 2000, it wasn't about his exciting young team, his first comments were to the people that ripped the white flag trade, letting them know he was right and they were wrong. He isn't going to admit being wrong here, especially since he already had this information when he made the hire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My sole source of optimism at this point is that both sides are quiet because the Sox have outside counsel working on this. They probably can fire him for cause for the DUI, but then there is the issue of their notice of the situation. So perhaps the Sox and LaRussa are working on some sort of settlement to have him go away and that is why the radio silence from both parties. 

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

I honestly just think they never expected anyone to find out. He’d get charged, quietly spend the day or whatever in jail and no one would find out.

Someone tipped Passan off to this 100%. People are just searching the Maciopa County court records to look for TLR. 

Passan also has a history of harsh criticism of La Russa. Whoever leaked it, leaked it the guy who would hold no punches. Drama, drama , drama!

• Like 1

I don't know how upset people are, but don't be afraid to target the organization personally.  It might be a foregone conclusion, but there is a finite amount of pressure that can be handled here.  The more pressure that is laid on the organization, the better chance there is of Tony being shown the door.

-If you have season tickets, call your rep.

-Use the email addresses I posted earlier to complain

-Tag the White Sox in twitter/facebook and other social media posts.

-Call the team's mail line and ask to talk to someone.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can’t wait until some of the current Sox players start liking Stroman’s tweets. This situation is disgusting.

I'm pretty sure any chance the Sox had of signing Giolito to an extension went out the window. 

Jerry is sabotaging this team's window. It's going to be really hard to sign free agents this winter. I'm not sure there's going to be many who will sign up to play for TLR. They're going to have to over pay by many dollars to get someone to sign here. If the money is close, they'll go elsewhere. 

Way to fuck up a desirable destination, Jerry. Or, that could be exactly what he wanted. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm pretty sure any chance the Sox had of signing Giolito to an extension went out the window. 

Jerry is sabotaging this team's window. It's going to be really hard to sign free agents this winter. I'm not sure there's going to be many who will sign up to play for TLR. 

Just get it out already and say you don't see them competing for the next five years and they should rebuild

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

Im really disgusted with reinsdorf, hes a piece of shit

Homeboy has made a multiple billion dollars doing nothing more than running his teams like garbage and letting someone draft Michael Jordan. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I honestly don't know what they should do....They were in a great position and Jerry fucked it up. 

Just say it so we can move past your hot take and get back to b****ing about what is happening right now