La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

It's a shame because Marcus Stroman really was **the** prototypical Sox FA target: quality, not the most expensive in money or years, attitutde fits the team, age window fits, kind of under the radar good player, not the hottest chick at the dance but still a top target, etc.  I think signing Stroman to a good on-paper deal this offseason would almost feel like a bit of vindication on missing out on Torii Hunter all of those years ago.  It's almost like it was meant to be.

But it won't be.

• Like 1

Just now, Baron said:

What does it matter anyway? People on here were happy to not shell out resources for pitchers last year and were more than happy to sacrifice playoff games if it meant getting Cease or Lopez time. Here's your plan in action. Another year of it. 

Completely different situation last year. They had time to look at their pitching.  They hadn't proven they were good yet. Now they have. Go win games. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

JR is going to go on a rampage rallying owners to write into the next CBA that players need to be more respectful to his septuagenarian friends.

That's funny. It will be interesting how major league baseball plays this though because of its big time sponsorship from major beer and alcohol companies. Certainly they are going to get blow-back from MADD and maybe some other organizations. It is certainly is a stain on major league baseball and the White Sox in particular.I have never liked Tony LaRussa in his career. He always seemed very arrogant and pompous and when he facilitated the steroid era in baseball that was the nail in the coffin for me. He also exhibited all of the features of a fall down drunk. I wouldn't doubt it at all that he and his players probably drank during games. Hell, he allowed his players to shoot up in the clubhouse. Think he'd stop them from having a belt or two during the game? 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Completely different situation last year. They had time to look at their pitching.  They hadn't proven they were good yet. Now they have. Go win games. 

Are you sure? Maybe we could use some more innings of Cease or Lopez. Hell they didn't play in the playoffs. Come on lets give them another shot and hold onto our prospects nice and tight. 

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have no problem with the Sox saying nothing during the press conference hiring him. It would have turned into a shit show. But, the fact that they waited for the story to leak, and it was going to leak, just amazes me. 

I really don’t think they thought this was going to get out. 

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

It's a shame because Marcus Stroman really was **the** prototypical Sox FA target: quality, not the most expensive in money or years, attitutde fits the team, age window fits, kind of under the radar good player, not the hottest chick at the dance but still a top target, etc.  I think signing Stroman to a good on-paper deal this offseason would almost feel like a bit of vindication on missing out on Torii Hunter all of those years ago.  It's almost like it was meant to be.

But it won't be.

I look forward to our Tier 4 slightly broken, probably old, hopefully we get that one last year of thunder from them typical FA guys we will get.  The typical sox FA.   What aging NL former star that is about 38 are we going to pencil in in RF.  Do we have a broken down FA pitcher that might have one last year in the tank.  This was always the plan.  Remember 2nd place is okay with JR.  

The sky is falling again for White Sox fans:

The Machado fiasco - "I'm done with this team" 

The LaRussa hire - "I'm done with this team" 

The LaRussa DUI - "I'm done with this team" 

Guess what, the White Sox are still a very damn good young baseball team and I can't wait for ST come March. 

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The sky is falling again for White Sox fans:

The Machado fiasco - "I'm done with this team" 

The LaRussa hire - "I'm done with this team" 

The LaRussa DUI - "I'm done with this team" 

Guess what, the White Sox are still a very damn good young baseball team and I can't wait for ST come March. 

I'm as high on this team as any and I'm disgusted by this latest BS.  The first two things on your list are nothingburgers.  Hiring a guy and not disclosing his DUI is a million times worse than not signing a prized FA.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know how upset people are, but don't be afraid to target the organization personally.  It might be a foregone conclusion, but there is a finite amount of pressure that can be handled here.  The more pressure that is laid on the organization, the better chance there is of Tony being shown the door.

-If you have season tickets, call your rep.

-Use the email addresses I posted earlier to complain

-Tag the White Sox in twitter/facebook and other social media posts.

-Call the team's mail line and ask to talk to someone.

I have done just that and would recommend everyone else takes a minute to do the same. Thanks for sharing the contact info and idea. Pass on your feelings to the team and let them know that you will not spend money on this team.  Money is all that matters. I have emailed the season ticket office to tell them not to ever contact me again if LaRussa manages a game. Doubt it will mean anything to them, but it's all we can do.

Honestly, not sure I can support this team anymore. We are not required to be fans of this team. Illinois likes to remind people that Driving is a privilege, not a right(take note Tony). It's time we tell the organization the same about our fandom. 

Whoever mentioned in that other thread about trying to get Marquez from COL by taking on Blackmon's deal --- do it please.  Unless Tanaka doesn't really give a fuck, this TLR debacle has undermined the Sox enviable FA position to the point where the hope of getting a really good starting pitcher for basically only money is gone, save for a trade where another team gives us a really good pitcher to dump a contract.

Also maybe on the docket could be Darvish with Kimbrel's bad deal strapped to it.

It really sucks that the Sox would hamstring their selves like this.  It is very difficult to construct a quality roster with a championship core where FA is like a blessing to you (money and payroll room in exchange for a good player) instead of a mocking curse.  But the Sox put their selves in that spot, and then shot their selves in both feet.

5 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

lots of great candidates for the position still available if they did the right thing and changed course

Yeah and this actually COUlD turn out very well if LaRussa resigned which I think and hope he will. That would be the right thing actually. Namely LaRussa put out a statement to the effect of thanking the Sox for hiring him in spite of the mess he got himself into but deciding that for everyone's best interest he would focus on putting his life back together and straighten himself out.

My pick from the onset was Alomar but I also like Bochey as well. Bochey is the more experienced guy and has won championships while Alomar is a "god" among the Spanish community and has a great knowledge of baseball and especially pitching.

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

His email address is SREIFERT@chisox.com

Brooks Boyer is bboyer@chisox.com

Hopefully people feel free to let them know what people think.

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Can someone repost the email addresses I can voice my displeasure to?

Enjoy and recruit others

Reinsdorf has often said that firing LaRussa was the worst mistake he ever made as owner of the Sox (of course, it wasn’t - there’s a long list of franchise-crippling actions and decisions he’s made over the past 40 years more devastating than that one).  

But now he doesn’t have to consider the firing as his worst mistake, because this rehiring is probably now going to claim that title.

This organization just needs new ownership, and badly.  It’s as simple as that.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He never will. In fact, the anger many had at the hire, just dug him in deeper. Remeber when the Sox won the division in 1983? His first comments weren't about winning they were about Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall being "wrong" and scum. When the Sox won the division in 2000, it wasn't about his exciting young team, his first comments were to the people that ripped the white flag trade, letting them know he was right and they were wrong. He isn't going to admit being wrong here, especially since he already had this information when he made the hire.

This is a good recalling of history. Sometimes it is good to dig in your heels and stick to your convictions. Sometimes it's a matter of being stubborn, and that is not good. It only compounds the mistake. And this hiring was a mistake for many reasons. It couldn't happen at a worse time. The team is winning back fans by gaining their confidence and now this happens.

Reinsdorf needs to get a little humility. Everyone makes mistakes, and those mistakes are easier to correct when a person admits a fault. He should have learned from the fiasco of 1986. It seems to me that he learned the wrong lesson.

Edited by NWINFan

7 minutes ago, shakes said:

I have done just that and would recommend everyone else takes a minute to do the same. Thanks for sharing the contact info and idea. Pass on your feelings to the team and let them know that you will not spend money on this team.  Money is all that matters. I have emailed the season ticket office to tell them not to ever contact me again if LaRussa manages a game. Doubt it will mean anything to them, but it's all we can do.

Honestly, not sure I can support this team anymore. We are not required to be fans of this team. Illinois likes to remind people that Driving is a privilege, not a right(take note Tony). It's time we tell the organization the same about our fandom. 

That's a perfectly solid plan of action that you described and I Think that you are right. I don't live in Chicago but would probably do the same if I were a ticket holder.