La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

Just now, ThirdGen said:

If he wasn't completely upfront about what happened I would imagine they could get out of it.  Its possible TLR said he was arrested, but wasn't drunk, and expected it to get thrown out.

He’s a moron then. His BAC was .090. 

3 minutes ago, Sockin said:

He’s a moron then. His BAC was .090. 

True, but 8 months had passed.  It's not unreasonable to think it wasn't being pursued at that point.

And for a long time .09 was actually legal in most states (.10 was the limit), so this may have been something they didn't want to spend resources prosecuting.

Edited by ThirdGen
added something

Everybody is on the same page here ... so i'm going to make a lighthearted take...

CALIFORNIA ANGELS???

He's quite literally stuck in 1990. They haven't been called that since before Luis Robert was born. 

Outside of all the obvious problems - this is a problem too.

• Like 1

I truly believe Tony will step down either through his own volition or from pressure from the organization.  I have no sources other that common sense has to prevail.  This hire has been a PR disaster from the very start. The hiring has made the organization look out of touch on multiple levels, its time to admit it and recover. There is no other way out.

Just to show how you can alter Balta's Goose Island message for any company, here is one for Statefarm:

Hello

I have Statefarm for both my mortgage and car insurance. For years you have given me comfort knowing the roof over my head is taken care of. I am also an advocate for safe and responsible driving. I know Statefarm also highly values the importance of responsible driving. Your company is a sponsor of the White Sox, with logos throughout their ballpark during the last season. That's why I'm writing this email today, because it's a disappointing day for White Sox fans as the team just hired a manager, Tony LaRussa, who we just learned now has 2 arrests for DUI on his record after an incident earlier this year. According to press reports, he was just charged in late October, the day before the team hired him, and now the team won't even comment on his arrest. Furthermore, on the evening of his arrest, he was belligerent with a police officer, stating "Do you know who I am, I'm a legit Hall of Fame guy" according to press reports. 

Statefarm has been my go to insurance company because of the stance you take on drinking and driving. Yet, a team you sponsor doesn't seem to think that safety while drinking is something they need to be concerned with. There are countless articles and tips on your website concerning drinking and driving. For instance 30 people a day die from drinking and driving, that is from your site.  I ask you then why would you be a sponsor of a team that does not agree with your stance? I'd hope that Statefarm will consider taking up this issue with the White Sox, and if necessary, limiting or ending their sponsorship of that team. If this person continues being their coach and Statefarm continues as their sponsor next season, I will have to conclude that Statefarm finds that behavior acceptable, and unfortunately I will be remembering that any time I think about purchasing your products, or when I renew for my mortgage and car insurance.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration

• Like 3

Just now, palehose1 said:

I truly believe Tony will step down either through his own volition or from pressure from the organization.  I have no sources other that common sense has to prevail.  This hire has been a PR disaster from the very start. The hiring has made the organization look out of touch on multiple levels, its time to admit it and recover. There is no other way out.

If that happens, who would you want them to hire?

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Man, I fucking feel for Boyer here. You can tell why he's exasperated in this email.

Agreed - the folks in the organization (the FO to what degree(?), the players, and everyone else that is affiliated with the Sox) are placed in an unfortunate spot that they should not have been put in due to Jerry wanting this to be some fairy tale reunion.  This is a fubar for the organization and a lot of the goodwill has been erased with how the hiring of TLR went down and this news. 

It's disappointing to think that we can't all feel the same excitement or positive vibes continue from the end of season with the individual accolades and the potential of having a manager we would all feel good about and the additions/subtractions that are made with the roster on the field.   Hopefully the Sox can turn this thing around and TLR erases this hangover (pun intended) the Sox have been riding since his hire.

38 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

If Fegan's most recent story in The Athletic is accurate it is pretty damning.  He is reporting TLR blew .09, 

TLR wouldn't take the breathalizer.  Made the cop get a search warrant for his blood. Then that was .095.  Have no idea how quick the warrant was, but one imagines if he had blown right away, it would have been higher.  It's just sad in this day and age that the team won't even comment cuz it really seems like they're condoning this behavior.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox couldn’t even allow Robert to be available to the media today. It’s so ridiculous that they’re putting Tony over everyone else in the organization.

He was on MLB Network yesterday, and was asked about playing for LaRussa. He gave a respectable answer. This was before the DUI came to light.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

TLR wouldn't take the breathalizer.  Made the cop get a search warrant for his blood. Then that was .095.  Have no idea how quick the warrant was, but one imagines if he had blown right away, it would have been higher.  It's just sad in this day and age that the team won't even comment cuz it really seems like they're condoning this behavior.

Passan’s article says he agreed to and took the breathalyzer.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30293035/tony-la-russa-appearing-incoherent-arrest-shouted-hall-famer-officer

He agreed to take the breath test "if it gets me out of here," according to the report. The test registered a BAC of .090.

Edited by Sockin

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Bochy or Fuld, with Willie Harris being acceptable.  Hell, they can hire Trump for all I care. At least we know half the players probably like him.

"The totally corrupt umpire union has been treating our team unfairly all year. THEY HAVE TO GO!!"