La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Someone like another Robin who has no experience and also turns out to be a totally shitty manager.  At least TLR has experience. 

Seriously, if TLR resigned, tell me how shocked you would be on a 1-10 scale where 10 is completely shocked and 1 is greatly expected if the Sox immediately hired Paulie and then he turned into Robin part 2.

I'd actually take TLR over Robin.  Seriously.

Being fully honest here?  I don't really care.  You can't go into this winter with TLR as your manager, and give yourself the best chance to win in 2021.  We are already seeing players turned off about coming here.  If it means we take a step down in the tactical manager department, so be it.  Your reputation means something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Someone like another Robin who has no experience and also turns out to be a totally shitty manager.  At least TLR has experience. 

Seriously, if TLR resigned, tell me how shocked you would be on a 1-10 scale where 10 is completely shocked and 1 is greatly expected if the Sox immediately hired Paulie and then he turned into Robin part 2.

I'd actually take TLR over Robin.  Seriously.

Players would at least want to play for Konerko, and at least he’s a role model to the younger players.

Heck, think of it this way.  On a normal day, we'd be speculating on free agents, and thinking of trades.  We'd be celebrating the Crochet news, and freaking out about Oscar Colas tweeting pics with Sox t-shirt and bats from Yoan Moncada in it.

But instead we are demoralized and raging about Tony DUI LaRussa.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Maybe we should just be happy about this instead.

Think about it: Ozzie and his b**** kid was an absolute disaster the last 1-2 years here.  So they fired him and guess what?  They hired Robin and somehow managed to get even worse.

Then they finally fired Robin after they didnt have a shot to win anything anymore.  They brought in RR.  I'd say it was an improvement, but marginal.

Then they fire Ricky and once again somehow manage to get even worse.

If they fire TLR or "encourage" TLR to resign, do not necessarily assume they will have a logical hiring decision in their back pocket.  It's the Sox, remember that.  Do not think they cannot make a follow up decision that -- even if it seems better on the surface immediately like the Ventura hire seemed -- will have Sox fans looking back on the move midseason going "We should have just kept LaRussa instead."

Do not expect the Sox to make more than a marginal improvement even if they replace TLR.  Do not be surprised if they make an even worse decision.  And no matter what, do not expect them to undergo a properly thorough search and interview process.  And do not expect them to hire a candidate who is unanimously viewed by the media as qualified.  

And expect TLR to keep his money and whoever replaces him to be working on the cheap.

Yall know i am speaking the truth. 

Unless chisox1917 has his resume in the batch, im not sure you could possibly do worse than TLR.

1. Had to talk him into it

2. He doesn't know his players names yet

3. Hes been out of the game almost longer than Tim Anderson has been playing it.

4. He is intolerant

There likely isn't a worse hire out there.

31 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

TLR wouldn't take the breathalizer.  Made the cop get a search warrant for his blood. Then that was .095.  Have no idea how quick the warrant was, but one imagines if he had blown right away, it would have been higher.  It's just sad in this day and age that the team won't even comment cuz it really seems like they're condoning this behavior.

To be fair, that's what everybody who may be caught in this situation should do. Not condoning drinking and driving, but if you want a lawyer to get you out of it, you refuse to blow and draw the process out in order to buy time and process alcohol. A .09 can turn into a .079 in an hour and a half and now you have no DUI. Again, not condoning, but that's the way to approach it. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Being fully honest here?  I don't really care.  You can't go into this winter with TLR as your manager, and give yourself the best chance to win in 2021.  We are already seeing players turned off about coming here.  If it means we take a step down in the tactical manager department, so be it.  Your reputation means something.

I agree about not going forward with TLR on Nov 11 2020 but I wouldn't have gone foward with him on the day he was hired either.  Or before that.

The Sox ownership is stating loudly and clearly that character doesnt matter.  Only winning championships does (or character does not mean nearly as much).  They are also stating they dont care about public image.

I dont like any if this.  But at least when the ganes are on i hope we have a decent manager.

But i don't even think TLR is going to be a good nanager.  I think hes going to be shit.

What a debacle.  It is a debacle in itself how the Sox even entered into this debacle.  First debacle is ownership and power structure and decision making process related, second debacle is TLR related.

As fans we all lose.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We've seen one player turned off about coming here due to TLR.  No one else other than Stroman to my knowledge.  99/100 guys are going to go to the team that offers the most money.  Obviously we've seen that it isn't 100% with Wheeler, but a guy can much easier swallow a couple million less when were talking about $118M over 5 years, especially if its to keep the wife happy.  Realistically, its very unlikely that another guy spurns the Sox if they're the top after tax bidder this offseason, just due to TLR.  

Look, TLR is an asshat and this was a poor hire and its looking worse by the day.  But TLR should be competent enough to manage the team (he is third all time in MLB wins after all), and JR isn't going to pull a full 180 and fire the guy when by all reports the Sox already knew about this prior to the hire.

Its embarrassing and really hard to understand their (his) logic. But it is what it is, and kicking and streaming about it is incredibly unlikely to change anything.

Only way I see something happening is TLR gets sick of all the questions and just says fuck it.  Short of that, he's going to be the manager, and the Sox are going to be just fine.  

Edited by ChiSox59

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We've seen one player turned off about coming here due to TLR.  No one else other than Stroman to my knowledge.  99/100 guys are going to go to the team that offers the most money.  Obviously we've seen that it isn't 100% with Wheeler, but a guy can much easier swallow a couple million less when were talking about $118M over 5 years, especially if its to keep the wife happy.  Realistically, its very unlikely that another guy spurns the Sox if they're the top after tax bidder this offseason, just due to TLR.  

Look, TLR is an asshat and this was a poor hire and its looking worse by the day.  But TLR should be competent enough to manage the team (he is third all time in MLB wins after all), and JR isn't going to pull a full 180 and fire the guy when by all reports the Sox already knew about this prior to the hire.

Its embarrassing and really hard to understand their (his) logic. But it is what it is, and kicking and streaming about it is incredibly unlikely to change anything.

Only way I see something happening is TLR gets sick of all the questions and just says fuck it.  Short of that, he's going to be the manager, and the Sox are going to be just fine.  

Look if Stroman said it, there are LOTS of other players who aren't saying it out loud. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look if Stroman said it, there are LOTS of other players who aren't saying it out loud. 

Fegan had an article the day he was hired saying some of the Sox players weren’t happy. It didn’t take much to see Timmy wasn’t thrilled about it.

Tony “Too Legit To Quit” LaRussa Timeline:

1. LaRussa arrested a second time for DUI.
  2. LaRussa contacts Jerry stating he’ll need a job once this leaks.
  3. Jerry agrees to hire him next season, and sics his paid for media dogs (Stone, Ozzie, Frank) on Renteria throughout the season.
  4. White Sox finish with best record since 2005.
  5. Jerry orders Hahn to fire Renteria, who Hahn just extended, and hire LaRussa.

I do not like Tony LaRussa, Sam I am. I do not like him here nor there, I do not like him anywhere!

No in a box, not in a car, not on a train, not in a court. I do not like him here or there — I do not like him anywhere.

• Haha 1