La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

Just now, G&T said:

Might be worth mentioning that in most states a breathalyzer is not admissible in court. It can only be used to gain reasonable suspicion along with other factors. Trying to glean details of a curve argument based on a breathalyzer is kinda tough since it has a degree of error. Bit of free legal advice: if you are pulled over, NEVER tell police you were drinking. No matter how drunk you are, and ALWAYS agree to all tests. Get a lawyer and they can make up a curve argument.

Anyway, to me, and as I said before, if he were black, he would have been beat or shot. Literally, everything about his demeanor, and his stance against kneeling during the anthem says everything about him. He wants blacks to have their hands at 10 and 2 and obey all commands of the officer, but he does whatever he wants. How he represents this team is hard to understand.

Agreed, but given the blood test you've got 2 options - either his blood test came in at 0.095 2 hours later when his blood was tested because he was really at 0.011 when he was pulled over and the breathalyzer was that low, or he had just had the last one right before leaving and it was still being processed by his stomach when pulled over. Neither one of those makes him look particularly good. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I would be willing to bet that 75% or more of Sox fans who drink have operated a car around. 09 .  The first half or so of my driving years it was perfectly legal to do so.  Based on the fact that charges weren't filed until his name came back up in the news, and considering his rather public political leanings, I wonder if there isn't more to this story.

Bochy was my first choice and I'd be fine with that outcome, but Stone is 100% correct.  Sometimes the entire story takes a while to leak out.

Other people have done dumb things before is about the worst reason for excusing multiple DUIs.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Other people have done dumb things before is about the worst reason for excusing multiple DUIs.

One of my general rules in life is I try to avoid criticizing (or demanding the firing of) people for doing dumb things that I have done myself.  Not a big fan of hypocrites.

I don't know you, if you drink, or if you have ever driven after drinking.  If you haven't, I salute you.  But I'd be willing to bet a lot of the other stone throwers live in glass houses.

3 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

One of my general rules in life is I try to avoid criticizing (or demanding the firing of) people for doing dumb things that I have done myself.  Not a big fan of hypocrites.

I don't know you, if you drink, or if you have ever driven after drinking.  If you haven't, I salute you.  But I'd be willing to bet a lot of the other stone throwers live in glass houses.

This logic doesn't make it OK.  It is still a deadly activity that shouldn't be excused and encouraged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

My first thought was that if this is how the Sox front office feels about it, I would rather just not hear them ever address it.

Completely agree. You could just hear JR/TLR say "I only had a couple drinks, .09 is BARELY above the legal limit, I mean this isn't even a felony. Would basically be a sleepover at a friends house if I go to jail."

It's more than likely that most people on this board, and most Sox fans in general, have been affected by someone driving drunk.  This is not something that we should be shrugging our shoulders about and saying, "Hey, people make mistakes", or trying to normalize it by saying he's old and alcohol affects the elderly differently.  Especially when it involves someone who is supposed to leading a team.

All that being said, I think most of the anger is being directed at the team, and rightfully so.  They purportedly knew about the arrest before hiring him, and now that the story has gotten away from them they aren't saying a word.  The fact that we haven't heard much of anything since he was hired leads me to believe that they knew this shitstorm was coming.  Not a peep about coaches, no players being contacted.  Now this nonsense.  There's not much the team can do to save face here, but the right thing to do (by far) is to part ways.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Online blood alcohol calculators can be highly inaccurate for older people.  Older people process alcohol more slowly, have less water in their bodies, and more fat tissue than when younger.  Its is possible someone in their 70's or 80's could hit .09 on two or three glasses of wine.

Are you seriously trying excuse DUIs???

Just now, RibbieRubarb said:

That post wasn't trying to excuse DUIs, he's taking an issue with the math which is fair. There are others who you can target with that comment and you'd be correct. Start with Nightengale.

Just now, RibbieRubarb said:

Hell no.  I'm saying its easier for an older person to hit .08 than a younger person.  I figured that out when I got older, and now don't drive if I've had more than one drink, period.  I'm saying those who claim he had to have downed a bottle of wine to hit the legal limit are wrong, and that line of thinking is damn dangerous.  Older people can be legally drunk way quicker than young people, and therefore need to be MORE cautious.  And definitely not follow on line BAC calculators based on 30 year old bodies.

3 hours ago, GradMc said:

The White Sox will not be fine. This is not going to blow over.

What coaches in their right mind want to be associated with this manager ?

Wait until the hot stove warms up and FA's look the other way. 

CWS should be the premier destination and that foolish owner is ruining it.

Only the sponser$ can get Reinsdorf's attention before it's too late.

That or some billionaire consortium that could make Reinsdorf an offer he couldn't refuse. 

Yeah, I disagree.  The Sox are going to be fine.  Doesn't make it not frustrating.  Doesn't make it not embarrassing.

But TLR isn't going to tank the White Sox franchise or cause TA, Abreu, Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Grandal, Gioltio and Keuchel to forgot how to play baseball.

99/100 players are still going to go to the team that offers the most money.  So JR may not offer what is necessary to get the FAs we all want, but they aren't not signing with the Sox directly because of TLR.  Except for Stroman, who according to people that apparently have sources, the Sox weren't interested anyway. 

This isn't an ideal scenario and I get why some fans are up in arms.  But this isn't the beginning of the end.  People get DUIs.  I don't support it, but it happens thousands of times everyday to people in high and low places.  

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was actually mad listening to it. 

Agreed, every word was thoroughly disgusting. 

Bob Nightengale related links below,

Mothers Against Drunk Driving - National: https://www.madd.org/

Mothers Against Drunk Driving - Illinois: https://www.madd.org/illinois/

Mothers Against Drunk Driving - Arizona: https://www.madd.org/arizona/

Gannet Corporation: 

https://www.gannett.com/contact/

USA Today: 

https://www.usatoday.com/contact/staff/ 

https://twitter.com/therealmccarter

https://twitter.com/nicole_carroll 

MLB: 

https://www.mlb.com/official-information/about-mlb

https://www.mlb.com/sponsorship/official-sponsors

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BNightengale

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, ThirdGen said:

Hell no.  I'm saying its easier for an older person to hit .08 than a younger person.  I figured that out when I got older, and now don't drive if I've had more than one drink, period.  I'm saying those who claim he had to have downed a bottle of wine to hit the legal limit are wrong, and that line of thinking is damn dangerous.  Older people can be legally drunk way quicker than young people, and therefore need to be MORE cautious.  And definitely not follow on line BAC calculators based on 30 year old bodies.

But he was reported to be swerving and in the video he clearly seems drunk. The evidence is there that he shouldn't be driving, and he has done this before. There is nothing 'dangerous' about this line of thinking - it's in fact the very opposite. The law doesn't flex legal limits for age and nothing you are saying would ever be a defense in a court of law. 

He actually seems more intoxicated than what he blew. I can't believe people are trying to find a way to defend this. 

I have driven drunk and not been caught and driven drunk and been caught. I faced many consequences and had to make serious changes in my life. I am a much better person for it now. When people get special treatment and consequences are lesser than for others- who are less privileged - it is a disservice to all who are involved, particularly Tony. 

If he gets to just move on with the Sox as if nothing happened, and he does it again, and puts more people in danger, how does that look for the Sox and MLB as a whole?

• Like 1

The thing with me is that Tony should just go away.  There is nothing to be gained by this and it is making the Sox look like a clown car.

Williams is never heard from any more and Hahn is the guy that is going to have to wear it as LaRussa is just a dick that does not care about a fan base and will just tell everyone to fuck off.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, we need to stop equating the front office with Jerry Reinsdorf.  They are not the same thing when it comes to views on La Russa.

But they’re going to just be Jerry’s mouthpiece as well. Believe me, I know a lot of them hate the hire.

• Like 1