La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

Received an email back from Reifert, asks for continued support for what should be a fun team and acknowledged my concern but never actually responded to the DUI topic.  A very PC email which I can understand but it's frustrating still.

Alright - I'm issuing a blanket reminder - keep things civil and respectful.  We are all entitled to our opinions and we need to respect each individuals opinion on this site. You don't have to agree with their opinions (and obviously if said opinion is against the site rules - well that is another story), but you need to treat said posters with respect. Just a subtle reminder.   

14 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Free agents are starting to sign and we're arguing over how may glasses of wine the manager had before getting behind the wheel of a car. Cool. 

IMO it's even worse if we specifically are going to hold back on signing FAs until we make sure TLR and his coaching staff will greenlight them.  Sox chain of command may have added a new link between GM and ownership which has one hand on the bottle and the other on the killswitch.

My response from Reifert feels pretty canned as well.

" We do care, your viewpoints are heard and your feedback is shared internally."

I can only hope this is true.  But I have zero faith that it permeates the chairman's thinking.

His similar pivot to again selling the young exciting team is less heartening...

45 minutes ago, shakes said:

But he was reported to be swerving and in the video he clearly seems drunk. The evidence is there that he shouldn't be driving, and he has done this before. There is nothing 'dangerous' about this line of thinking - it's in fact the very opposite. The law doesn't flex legal limits for age and nothing you are saying would ever be a defense in a court of law. 

He actually seems more intoxicated than what he blew. I can't believe people are trying to find a way to defend this. 

I have driven drunk and not been caught and driven drunk and been caught. I faced many consequences and had to make serious changes in my life. I am a much better person for it now. When people get special treatment and consequences are lesser than for others- who are less privileged - it is a disservice to all who are involved, particularly Tony. 

If he gets to just move on with the Sox as if nothing happened, and he does it again, and puts more people in danger, how does that look for the Sox and MLB as a whole?

The line of thinking I said was dangerous was that people were saying you need to drink a full bottle of wine to get drunk (.09), because an online BAC calculator says so.  Older people don't need to, they can get drunk on a couple of glasses.  Therefore older people need to be more careful.  TLR apparently hasn't figured that out.

It appears that TLR was drunk, both from the BAC readings and damage to his car.  It is however, also possible, that he only had a couple of glasses of wine.   The two are not mutually exclusive.  Based on a BAC calculator he would be OK. But obviously he wasn't.

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

But they’re going to just be Jerry’s mouthpiece as well. Believe me, I know a lot of them hate the hire.

Honestly?  I think it is telling how little any of them has had to say.  Rick said the bare minimum, and sure didn't embrace it.  Kenny has said NOTHING.

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Stroman accepted the qualifying offer. Now that makes a LOT more sense than "he knew the sox weren't interested."

That isn't a bad play.  He gets $19 million in the worst free agent market ever, and he gets to go out next year without anything like the draft pick hanging over his head.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

That isn't a bad play.  He gets $19 million in the worst free agent market ever, and he gets to go out next year without anything like the draft pick hanging over his head.

Oh I get it; I agree. I'm just saying him speaking out makes a lot more sense now given that he likely knew he was going to accept. As opposed to Harold's narrative that he "knew" the Sox weren't interested which was complete nonsense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh I get it; I agree. I'm just saying him speaking out makes a lot more sense now given that he likely knew he was going to accept. As opposed to Harold's narrative that he "knew" the Sox weren't interested which was complete nonsense.

Those two things don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Perhaps you can explain how folks on a message board posting their opinions, or fans calling advertisers of an organization they have an issue with have the ability to violate Tony LaRussa’s civil rights.

@CaliSoxFanViaSWside I did follow the discussion, your statement makes no sense.

Are you claiming a civil war or violent overthrow of the government to convict Tony LaRussa, based on a White Sox message board, is some type of realistic or credible threat of his civil rights?

Then you missed the point entirely. A few people declared him guilty of the charges. I simple said declaring him guilty without due process would be a violation of his civil rights and if we go down that path it can lead to much worse. If you state  that a person charged with a crime is guilty of that crime before due process then by your words you are advocating injustice.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Other people have done dumb things before is about the worst reason for excusing multiple DUIs.

There also has been a lot of "It's not a big deal that he drives drunk, YOU do it all the time too, hypocrite!" which is an unbelievably stupid way of admitting that they drive drunk themselves