La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

37 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Brooks is really a good guy. I had a couple emails to him many years ago, and he doesn't know me from Adam, but he replied, and they were  replies that didn't seem like "I guess I have to respond to this". They were well thought out,  answered by questions, and fired me up for the next Sox game. 

I feel bad for him if his inbox is getting pounded. He deserves better.

Brooks is a good dude. I was involved in a local fundraiser years ago and I reached out to him to see if he would be able to donate anything for auction, and he put me in touch with an employee in the org that gave tickets and gift cards without batting an eye. Every time after I asked, he did the same.

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, at some level being able to go to the bosses and say "I've never been deluged with email like this and it's running 99% against" is a really powerful statement. 

This.  It is great that guys like Scott and Brooks are giving solid responses, but their responses aren't the important part.  It is part of the entire campaign where they can package the sum of this up and tell their boss that we got 1000 emails, and 500 ticket cancellations.  The individual data points are as important as their total.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  It is great that guys like Scott and Brooks are giving solid responses, but their responses aren't the important part.  It is part of the entire campaign where they can package the sum of this up and tell their boss that we got 1000 emails, and 500 ticket cancellations.  The individual data points are as important as their total.

But that won't do anything to JR. He likes to be able to tell people they were wrong and he was right. This LaRussa hire is just the latest. It is going to take more than bothering his employees for him to see the light. Look how long it took him with everything else. Krause, GarPax, Bevington. The list goes on and on. He isn't going to quickly say he was wrong. I bet he still thinks TLR is going to lead him to hs next WS, and he looks forward to telling anyone who is blasting Tony now that they were wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

But that won't do anything to JR. He likes to be able to tell people they were wrong and he was right. This LaRussa hire is just the latest. It is going to take more than bothering his employees for him to see the light. Look how long it took him with everything else. Krause, GarPax, Bevington. The list goes on and on. He isn't going to quickly say he was wrong. I bet he still thinks TLR is going to lead him to hs next WS, and he looks forward to telling anyone who is blasting Tony now that they were wrong.

The difference is it being organized and of significant volume.  Sporadic complaining isn't the same.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He sounds delightful to work for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The difference is it being organized and of significant volume.  Sporadic complaining isn't the same.

I think the White Flag Trade was significant volume. JR told us all he was right everyone else was wrong when the Sox clinched the division in 2000.

I think back when he first started with the Sox, the fans being upset the Sox went on Pay TV and Harry and Jimmy were gone was big volume. When the Sox clinched the division in 1983 JR was in the clubhouse taking about Harry and Jimmy being scum. 

This is his hire. If anything, he's more dug in by the reaction, not just with fans, but media as well. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think the White Flag Trade was significant volume. JR told us all he was right everyone else was wrong when the Sox clinched the division in 2000.

I think back when he first started with the Sox, the fans being upset the Sox went on Pay TV and Harry and Jimmy were gone was big volume. When the Sox clinched the division in 1983 JR was in the clubhouse taking about Harry and Jimmy being scum. 

This is his hire. If anything, he's more dug in by the reaction, not just with fans, but media as well. 

There is a real chance nothing changes, but if you rollover, there is zero chance.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Flag Trade almost destroyed the franchise. I don't care how vindicated JR felt by 2000. I have been a fan for a hell of a long time and the late '90's was the worst time to be a Sox fan. The 2000 team was the only Sox team that won a division and didn't draw 2,000,000, and there was a damn good reason for it.

We will see how bad this gets. Gee, I hope JR ends up telling us how wrong we were. What anticipation!

• Thanks 1

This isn't and won't be going away. Most of the time you can say, oh such and such signing will cover this up. I don't think even if they signed Springer and Bauer together, would this go away. And it's not like the season is starting anytime soon for them to start winning games, which is really the only thing I think would change the conversation. Tony needs to step down. If anything, for his own reputation. Is this really how you wanna go out?

18 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I don't like any of this as much as the next guy but yall need to calm down with the wishing Reinsdorf was dead comments. It's a fucking game. People don't need to die over stupid decisions they make about a GAME. Even if it is the game we all love, and the team we've supported our entire lives, it's still a game. Stop wishing people dead over it. It's childish and a horrible way to represent the fanbase.

You are 100% correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the “Do you see this ring?” quote and the subsequent lines he allegedly said about being a Hall of Famer are correct, and what he would have then clearly intended to try to accomplish with saying those lines, and the fact it’s all public now, there is no way in hell that this disgraced individual can proceed as manager of the White Sox.  This crosses a line even the most stubborn of octogenarians (you know who) cannot deny or ignore.  

I certainly hope other owners and the powers that-be in MLB are weighing in behind the scenes to get this resolved appropriately.  

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This isn't and won't be going away. Most of the time you can say, oh such and such signing will cover this up. I don't think even if they signed Springer and Bauer together, would this go away. And it's not like the season is starting anytime soon for them to start winning games, which is really the only thing I think would change the conversation. Tony needs to step down. If anything, for his own reputation. Is this really how you wanna go out?

If people really cancelled their season tickets, the Sox might make a move. Maybe I'm just being naive though.

The Nightengale thing has actually made me significantly more angry. To hear that POS say it's not a big deal and that Arizona laws are tough and yada yada.... he blew a .09. That's ILLEGAL everywhere, and with the way Nightengale has downplayed it, he was probably out boozing with Tony that night.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, people can clean up. LaRummy had one in 2007, it was bad, he was so drunk he fell asleep while driving. If he had completed his punishment, gone to treatment, and figured out how to control that part of his life, we could be proud of him. It might even be the kind of behind-the-scenes thing that might make you consider him highly in an interview setting. If that was all he had, then there's no reason to condemn him for that this much later.

This second one makes it clear that it's a long-term problem for him, he hasn't cleaned up anything.

I’ve seen multiple people posting something like this, and be fair, this is a reach. The last time he had a DUI people are just learning about Facebook. You don’t know if he has gotten clean and and fell back into it or he just had one drink too many that night and got caught that day.

You might say that he might have drove drunk many times in the last 13 years, but he was swerving all over the road when he was .01 over the legal limit, so I think if he has a long term drinking and driving problem he would have been caught many more times in the 13 years.

I hated the TLR hire as much as the next guy, but I think a lot of people are throwing these accusations out there that aren’t backed by any other sources, some may be due to their disapproval of the hire, and others are tied to his stance on kneeling, or just his personality in general. But I think we shouldn’t misinform others with accusations unless there’s other sources detailing his personal issues.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I’ve seen multiple people posting something like this, and be fair, this is a reach. The last time he had a DUI people are just learning about Facebook. You don’t know if he has gotten clean and and fell back into it or he just had one drink too many that night and got caught that day.

You might say that he might have drove drunk many times in the last 13 years, but he was swerving all over the road when he was .01 over the legal limit, so I think if he has a long term drinking and driving problem he would have been caught many more times in the 13 years.

I hated the TLR hire as much as the next guy, but I think a lot of people are throwing these accusations out there that aren’t backed by any other sources, some may be due to their disapproval of the hire, and others are tied to his stance on kneeling, or just his personality in general. But I think we shouldn’t misinform others with accusations unless there’s other sources detailing his personal issues.

La Russa is a drunk; that is widely known throughout the game.

The issue with asking for reputable sources to present this information to you is that it will never happen; baseball and sports reporters just aren't in that business. They have incentive to not really push certain personal narratives about people. It's the same way steroids were widely known for a decade but not really out in the public sphere. There's too much incentive tied to connections, and you can't do your job if you're black listed.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

La Russa is a drunk; that is widely known throughout the game.

The issue with asking for reputable sources to present this information to you is that it will never happen; baseball and sports reporters just aren't in that business. They have incentive to not really push certain personal narratives about people. It's the same way steroids were widely known for a decade but not really out in the public sphere. There's too much incentive tied to connections, and you can't do your job if you're black listed.

I specifically said drinking and driving, that is the offense. He drinks, so does many other citizens in this country, but I don’t think he has a constant drinking and driving problem.

29 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Tony needs to step down. If anything, for his own reputation. Is this really how you wanna go out?

That ship has probably sailed at this point. This whole debacle is going to be a stain on the career of a hall of famer baseball person. The sham of a hiring process, the lack of contact to his most important players, the DUI, and the endless silence from the organization. This could not have gone worse for him or the organization.

Fans complaining to Sox employees, even with season-ticket cancellations, isn't going to change anything. Reinsdorf doesn't care and probably isn't monitoring the response anyway. The only ways things could change are

• Someone gets through to TLR himself to voluntarily step down
  • Sox players revolt
  • The commish or other owners threaten some kind of punishment

Even still, I think Sox fans and media need to continue to voice their displeasure to all this. Despite Reinsdorf not being available publicly, the heat needs to continue to be turned up on Hahn, KW, Reifert, etc., even though they clearly had no real part in the decision and have no real power to reverse it.

Heck, an organized in-person protest at the ballpark would probably be appropriate.

Edited by Buehrlesque
  • Thanks 1