La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Yep. Never thought I would Have said this, and this was pre dui......now factor in the dui and it’s laughable......

but hey that’s okay tho Bobby nightengale said it might get reduced from dui to dwi which is apparently a better scenario 🙄

Driving While Ignorant?

Hey, who the hell changed my profile tagline? That's totally dishonest and void of context! I've never lost an AGREES UPON and fair ban bet. What a joke.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
Totally corrupt moderators
  • Haha 2

Nightengale's journalistic integrity went out the window. Everybody already knew he was Reinsdorf's personal messenger. He really went on a podcast to defend and downplay a DUI? Either he's a dope or Reinsdorf made him do that. What a joke.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The fact that they are on record saying that they will comment after the case. The case and its outcome really doesn’t matter if your stance is you are going to keep him. 

They wouldn’t wait a month if they were going to fire him.  Matter of fact, they don’t hire him if they knew they would just fire him if he gets found guilty.  This is now Jerry and Tony against the a World.

Edited by fathom
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Another ridiculous aspect that people have touched (aside from the obvious distraction for the team) is that hiring his coaching staff will likely get delayed by this. It shows the complete and utter selfishness and arrogance that is Tony La Russa. This is NOT good for the team. If he or Reinsdorf have a damn about what is best for the White Sox, Tony would step down.

Nah, it's fine.

On top of drunky La Russa, you got (allegedly) Rapey Boston. This is perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

How? DUI are about as straight forward a case that exists. 3 days max.

Maybe I’m biased since I live in Cook County and won’t pretend to know Arizona’s court systems. But I’ve seen DUI cases go well over a year. 

13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I disagree.  The Sox are going to be fine.  Doesn't make it not frustrating.  Doesn't make it not embarrassing.

But TLR isn't going to tank the White Sox franchise or cause TA, Abreu, Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Grandal, Gioltio and Keuchel to forgot how to play baseball.

99/100 players are still going to go to the team that offers the most money.  So JR may not offer what is necessary to get the FAs we all want, but they aren't not signing with the Sox directly because of TLR.  Except for Stroman, who according to people that apparently have sources, the Sox weren't interested anyway. 

This isn't an ideal scenario and I get why some fans are up in arms.  But this isn't the beginning of the end.  People get DUIs.  I don't support it, but it happens thousands of times everyday to people in high and low places.  

40 years of tone-deaf Reinsdorf apologists.... just as tiresome.

It is indeed a new level of condescension towards the base. Oh how I wish he could have bought in his native New York. 

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, fathom said:

They wouldn’t wait a month if they were going to fire him.  Matter of fact, they don’t hire him if they knew they would just fire him if he gets found guilty.  This is now Jerry and Tony against the a World.

🎵 Remember when the circus came to town...

6 hours ago, GradMc said:

40 years of tone-deaf Reinsdorf apologists.... just as tiresome.

It is indeed a new level of condescension towards the base. Oh how I wish he could have bought in his native New York. 

It also makes me shake my head that people can be that oblivious to how things (and people) like this can affect attitude and morale and that makes a huge difference. 

The Sox have to see that this is nothing but a disaster that can only be remedied by parting ways with LaRussa.  It's likely that there's not one fan that is okay with him leading this team at this point.  There were those who were okay with the signing, or at a minimum were indifferent.  Not now, though.

By allowing this to happen and then go radio silent, the team is saying, "We really don't give a shit what the fans think and don't give a shit about them."

19 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The Sox have to see that this is nothing but a disaster that can only be remedied by parting ways with LaRussa.  It's likely that there's not one fan that is okay with him leading this team at this point.  There were those who were okay with the signing, or at a minimum were indifferent.  Not now, though.

By allowing this to happen and then go radio silent, the team is saying, "We really don't give a shit what the fans think and don't give a shit about them."

Again, this is all Reinsdorf.  The team doesn’t agree with him and has been dealt an impossible hand.  They can’t come out and say “look this is a shitty hire but what can you do when he’s the bosses’ guy?”.  The front office is praying that with time that this dies down or that La Russa decides to step down from all the hostility (very unlikely).  Not saying this is a good strategy, but it’s really hard for a PR team to justify an irrational decision.

I'm still going to support the team. The Sox have a product that I buy just like Amazon, USAA, my mortgage company, my brokerage house, Ford, Titleist, and all the other companies I buy from. I still watch reruns of Two and a Half Men and Kelsey Grammar stuff. That's my choice. I don't think there is a business out there of any size that hasn't had an employee with a DUI. 

It shouldn't matter who in the organization had the DUI. A line cook at Denny's is as dangerous driving drunk as a baseball executive. I'll let the courts determine the punishment. If convicted I hope the punishment is severe based on it being a second conviction. But I'm still watching and following the team.

I'm also not going to drive away sponsors who may never come back. That is punishing innocent people in the organization who worked hard to sell those sponsors and who don't deserve to have their livelihood in jeopardy because TLR and JR made a bad decision. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm still going to support the team. The Sox have a product that I buy just like Amazon, USAA, my mortgage company, my brokerage house, Ford, Titleist, and all the other companies I buy from. I still watch reruns of Two and a Half Men and Kelsey Grammar stuff. That's my choice. I don't think there is a business out there of any size that hasn't had an employee with a DUI. 

It shouldn't matter who in the organization had the DUI. A line cook at Denny's is as dangerous driving drunk as a baseball executive. I'll let the courts determine the punishment. If convicted I hope the punishment is severe based on it being a second conviction. But I'm still watching and following the team.

I'm also not going to drive away sponsors who may never come back. That is punishing innocent people in the organization who worked hard to sell those sponsors and who don't deserve to have their livelihood in jeopardy because TLR and JR made a bad decision. 

1. I do not know where I will be in March, but right now I have no interest in cheering for this team.

2. You comparison with a line cook or standard employee is disingenuous at best. This is a line cook getting his second DUI and getting promoted to the Denny’s spokesperson because that’s the kind of person Denny’s wants representing them.

3. If someone other than LaRussa loses their job because of this, that is Jerry Reinsdorfs choice - saying LaRussa is more important than those employees, and you don’t get to use other employees as a shield to cover for all this as a consequence.

4. Do you take issue with companies that have fired people or multiple DUIs? The Diamondbacks fired their mascot for 1 and Mark Grace from their broadcast team for 2. Were they wrong? 

5. Do you agree with Tony LaRussa that people should receive extra criticism for being insincere? Because that was his chosen way of publicly punching down against minorities, and his “it will never happen again” remarks in 2007 break the standard he used to evaluate and criticize black men.