La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

When Tony took a stand on kneeling, and then his dopy comment about being the judge on sincerity of  the protest, he presented himself as  holier than thou.  That is BS but tolerable. 

Now he looks like a joke and every stance and position he had taken previously makes him look more foolish because of  his disingenuous attitude.

This is why he needs to go, he is simply put, a dick.  He will be unable to lead the players and will become a shadow puppet.

What makes matters worse is that we all know that Hahn is not behind this move and the team has gone silent.  Had there have been good sales pitch and some rationale atonement for previous idiotic remarks I and I think the fans would be ok.

When Renteria was fired there was a very clear message sent.  Since that day the whole message as circled and went down the drain.

Go get Bochy or Alomar and repair this thing.

This is old white guy stuff at its finest. 

That's a terrific assessment. Good job.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Maybe I’m biased since I live in Cook County and won’t pretend to know Arizona’s court systems. But I’ve seen DUI cases go well over a year. 

Really? Its like a cattle call in California. What in the world can they do to delay proceeding that long? You have the test that is done and the results of the test. The state has to prove that the equipment was functioning properly. I guess if the cops didn't have probable cause an attorney can argue that angle or if they roughed the accused up, then a jury could turn on the cops and let the guy off but a year?

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

2.  I spoke about the danger to society is the same. You're talking about the danger to the business.

3. Having their commissions cut is a serious punishment for someone who is innocent. How often in history have people hidden behind it was someone else's decision or they were just following orders. You are advocating for something that will punish innocent people. Own it.

4. I don't have a problem with them firing anyone. In fact I believe it's a wise path to follow. Punish the guilty.

5. That has nothing to do with what I posted.

The MLB manager role is equivalent to a C-suite level job at a fortune 500 company. Arguably, it's higher profile. How many COO's can you name off the top of your head?

The point is, they need to be held to a higher standard and they are in fact a public face of the organization. Their actions are representative of the product you are putting out, and by supporting Larussa, the White Sox are supporting his actions. 

There are consequences to this support, and it will absolutely impact lower level employees who have no say in this hiring decision. That's a consequence of bad leadership. It is unfortunate for those employees, but this is an everyday situation in the workplace. It is not our responsibility as customers(fans) to look out for those lower level employees, that is the responsibility of the White Sox leadership. They are failing those employees, not us.

Our choice as customers(fans) is to continue to give money to that leadership, or not. Let the leadership decide what impact to their organization is acceptable to them. Don't let them off the hook, if you are dissatisfied. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Personally I hate this standard.  When someone makes a stand, the question to ask isn't why aren't you doing more.  It is what can I do to help.  You don't need to live in a cave avoiding all human contact to make a point here.

Great point. I retract my earlier statement.

2 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Really? Its like a cattle call in California. What in the world can they do to delay proceeding that long? You have the test that is done and the results of the test. The state has to prove that the equipment was functioning properly. I guess if the cops didn't have probable cause an attorney can argue that angle or if they roughed the accused up, then a jury could turn on the cops and let the guy off but a year?

Makes defense attorneys wealthy and oddly the police get OT for appearing.  As long as the defendant can afford the legal fees they have a good shot at getting off.  Things like dissecting a police for the smallest error can get a person off if the attorney is good and in Cook County there are plenty of attorneys that make a living on this.

I took a parking ticket to a hearing and won because the address was wrong as it did not have the direction of the street ( N Ashland).  I was contesting the ticket because it was street cleaning and was out of town and I argued I should have gotten more than 2 days notice of the no parking ordinance.  The hearing officer rejected that claim but then dismissed it on the address.

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

To be fair, the poster did bring race into the equation.

To be fair you don't see the constant petty ass reports we see every day, you have no idea how this was reported and what was complained about.

unless you yourself know exactly what was reported 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

1. I do not know where I will be in March, but right now I have no interest in cheering for this team.

2. You comparison with a line cook or standard employee is disingenuous at best. This is a line cook getting his second DUI and getting promoted to the Denny’s spokesperson because that’s the kind of person Denny’s wants representing them.

3. If someone other than LaRussa loses their job because of this, that is Jerry Reinsdorfs choice - saying LaRussa is more important than those employees, and you don’t get to use other employees as a shield to cover for all this as a consequence.

4. Do you take issue with companies that have fired people or multiple DUIs? The Diamondbacks fired their mascot for 1 and Mark Grace from their broadcast team for 2. Were they wrong? 

5. Do you agree with Tony LaRussa that people should receive extra criticism for being insincere? Because that was his chosen way of publicly punching down against minorities, and his “it will never happen again” remarks in 2007 break the standard he used to evaluate and criticize black men. 

Everyone makes mistakes in life and some deserve to be forgiven for them. However, with forgiveness should also come an obligation for the offending person to change the behavior that caused their harmful action to others. LaRussa obviously has an alcohol problem and coupled with taking pain medications amplifies the danger that he presents when he gets behind the wheels of a car. That is completely on him. He should quit drinking or at least hire a driver and turn in his driver's license. But the arrogance that I see in this guy along with his huge ego probably doesn't lend itself to taking these remedial actions and someone in baseball needs to lay the law down on him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shakes said:

The MLB manager role is equivalent to a C-suite level job at a fortune 500 company. Arguably, it's higher profile. How many COO's can you name off the top of your head?

The point is, they need to be held to a higher standard and they are in fact a public face of the organization. Their actions are representative of the product you are putting out, and by supporting Larussa, the White Sox are supporting his actions. 

There are consequences to this support, and it will absolutely impact lower level employees who have no say in this hiring decision. That's a consequence of bad leadership. It is unfortunate for those employees, but this is an everyday situation in the workplace. It is not our responsibility as customers(fans) to look out for those lower level employees, that is the responsibility of the White Sox leadership. They are failing those employees, not us.

Our choice as customers(fans) is to continue to give money to that leadership, or not. Let the leadership decide what impact to their organization is acceptable to them. Don't let them off the hook, if you are dissatisfied. 

I'm comfortable with our legal system punishing guilty people. It's certainly within your right to additionally  punish the people and organizations around them. Is it your opinion that the justices system does not deliver a severe enough penalty on the individual? 

Edited by Texsox
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

To be fair you don't see the constant petty ass reports we see every day, you have no idea how this was reported and what was complained about.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Fair point! Honestly I had no idea guests could report posts. It seems like a very easy way for people to troll mods and waste their time. 

19 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Like the other poster is saying, it’s all about $$$$. And I’m sure TLR has plenty to fight the case. It’ll drag on for awhile.

For those that want the team punished would you agree to MLB fining the team and or taking away draft picks? That seems like a more direct response than pushing sponsors.

I would support the Commissioner suspending Larussa for a year if he is convicted. I believe that's in the best interest of baseball.

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm comfortable with our legal system punishing guilty people. It's certainly within your right to additionally  punish the people and organizations around them. Is it your opinion that the justices system does not deliver a severe enough penalty on the individual? 

Was Tony LaRussa's punishment for his first DUI sufficient to prevent him from doing it again?

I'm just preparing myself for Arizona to let him off with no conviction but some sort of probation, the white Sox to say "see this is fine he wasn't convicted he didn't do anything wrong.  Let's move on with our new manager"

because outside of Tony stepping down, that's the only other way I am seeing this playing out

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'm an old white guy and this situation is the epitome of why this group gets the shrapnel that we do. 

2 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Like the other poster is saying, it’s all about $$$$. And I’m sure TLR has plenty to fight the case. It’ll drag on for awhile.

I doubt that he would win the case no matter how much money he spends. It looks cut and dry to me. The smart thing to do would be for him to agree to alcohol rehab and public service stints about the evils of drunk driving. He needs to show humbleness and admit he screwed up. He won't and this is why he will be found guilty.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm just preparing myself for Arizona to let him off with no conviction but some sort of probation, the white Sox to say "see this is fine he wasn't convicted he didn't do anything wrong.  Let's move on with our new manager"

because outside of Tony stepping down, that's the only other way I am seeing this playing out

This is just the funny-because-it's-sad part of the thing. How could they justify any punishment when they hired him after knowing? So why do they care the outcome? Unless you are telling me that TLR told them he was not the one driving, and it was all a mistake and the truth would come to light, there is no way they care about any of it. And by they I mean he.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Was Tony LaRussa's punishment for his first DUI sufficient to prevent him from doing it again?

Obviously not. We need tougher DUI laws. I'm in favor of a lifetime requirement of ignition lockout devices after your first conviction.

So if the Cardinals had a dozen sponsors drop would that have stopped him? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

For those that want the team punished would you agree to MLB fining the team and or taking away draft picks? That seems like a more direct response than pushing sponsors.

I would support the Commissioner suspending Larussa for a year if he is convicted. I believe that's in the best interest of baseball.

YOu can't fine the team for anything of the kind. He wasn't an employee of the Sox when he did this and this is a legal matter outside of their sphere of influence.

2 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

YOu can't fine the team for anything of the kind. He wasn't an employee of the Sox when he did this and this is a legal matter outside of their sphere of influence.

They hired him knowing he was facing DUI charges. They could have waited until it was adjudicated before hiring him. 

16 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

I doubt that he would win the case no matter how much money he spends. It looks cut and dry to me. The smart thing to do would be for him to agree to alcohol rehab and public service stints about the evils of drunk driving. He needs to show humbleness and admit he screwed up. He won't and this is why he will be found guilty.

You would think it’s pretty cut and dry right? Slam dunk. Unfortunately that’s not how the legal system works.

I don’t like talking shop, but Once again I’m referring to my own personal experience in regards to Cook County. 

Edited by ShoeLessRob