La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Baron

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

How am I protecting Larussa who I want fired and to serve jail time?

But you don't have a say in the matter. And you are saying we shouldn't take other action like cancelling season tickets or going after sponsors because it causes collateral damage to innocent employees, ignoring that the Sox leadership is what is hurting them. If we don't do those things, then there is no chance LaRussa gets fired or punished. There is a direct correlation.

2 hours ago, bigruss said:

This isn't about if the Sox will win, this is about ethics.

The White Sox employ a former player with a DUI and another former player who has admitted possessing and using cocaine during MLB games both as "Team Ambassadors".  The player convicted of DUI has his name on the wall and a statue on the concourse.

Ethics and pro sports don't mix.

2 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

The White Sox employ a former player with a DUI and another former player who has admitted possessing and using cocaine during MLB games both as "Team Ambassadors".  The player convicted of DUI has his name on the wall and a statue on the concourse.

There's a difference between second chances and an active case.

48 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I don't believe sales rep losing their jobs because sponsors pull out benefits anyone. A sponsor leaving the Sox will not put a dent in drunk driving. 

I don't believe I want to support anyone who supports drunken driving.  Dollar vote is a real thing.  If TLR is more important than their sales team, that is a decision the White Sox are making and it speaks to their values.

40 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What is different is innocent people aren't being punished.

What I don't want to see is sponsors ending their contracts and the employees in sales and advertising getting punished. 

I'm not trying to protect anyone who has done something wrong. I am protecting collateral damage to innocent folks 

I don't either, which is why stopping drunk driving is that important to me.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, bigruss said:

There's a difference between second chances and an active case.

Fisk was an active employee of the White Sox when he committed his DUI.  His hiring was not a "second chance".  He was absolutely an active case and not punished by the Sox, and remains an employee with a statue to this day.  He has a public facing job representing the White Sox to the community.  If they didn't fire Fisk, they won't fire LaRussa.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't either, which is why stopping drunk driving is that important to me.

I wish ignition lockouts were mandatory after a DUI. My brother died in a drunk driving crash and DUIs really piss me off. 

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't believe I want to support anyone who supports drunken driving.  Dollar vote is a real thing.  If TLR is more important than their sales team, that is a decision the White Sox are making and it speaks to their values.

Would the sales team be supporting drunk driving by continuing to work for the team and encouraging new sponsors? If the right thing is to pressure sponsors to drop then isn't anyone trying to hang on to them doing something wrong and should resign?

SS2k5 here's the link I'm not making. A bunch of sponsors pull out. JR doesn't get punished because the team won't lose much in market value. JR will still have more money than he can spend. Larussa won't be punished anymore than he would anyways by a drop in sponsorships. But a couple middle class workers trying to earn a living, support their families, live their lives will get hurt. I'm tired of the workers getting screwed over by the rich. 

I believe that people with DUIs deserve the chance to get jobs, go to the grocery store, attend rehab, eat cheerios for breakfast, etc. And one day maybe they can drive again.  Because you cant effectively release someone from jail and say they are free to live a free and responsible life as rehabilitated law abiding citizens and then take away so many rights that they can't actually do that.  But that said nobody deserves the right to manage a baseball team.  This guy is a millionaire with a big pension and enough assets to guarantee his immediate family will be well off for at least their lives if not for a couple generations if they manage their wealth well enough.  Nobody needs to cry about some prick like TLR getting a second chance as though hes just another Joe Blow in the ballpark.  People of his positions in life should be better examples to society.  Hes not Joe Blow and his life outside of baseball and the lives of his family are all peachy.  TLR can get fucked and so can any one who wants to paint his story with the same brush they use to paint Joe Blow from the power plants story.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

SS2k5 here's the link I'm not making. A bunch of sponsors pull out. JR doesn't get punished because the team won't lose much in market value. JR will still have more money than he can spend. Larussa won't be punished anymore than he would anyways by a drop in sponsorships. But a couple middle class workers trying to earn a living, support their families, live their lives will get hurt. I'm tired of the workers getting screwed over by the rich. 

Here is the connection you aren't making.  If Jerry is willing to support his drunken friend over middle class workers trying to make a living, that tells me I made the right decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No offense, but he’s right to some extent.  We all want La Russa gone, but some people are going to a level that could impact innocent parties.

Again if Jerry is more worried about the guilty than the innocent, he is the one who will need to answer for that.  That is HIS problem.

• Like 2

No offense, but he’s right to some extent.  We all want La Russa gone, but some people are going to a level that could impact innocent parties.

Hate the LaRussa hiring.. Hate the DUI and they knew about it and still hired.. Love the young and exciting team.  I can't stop loving them.  I'll go to more games for sure, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Finally an exciting team. They're not mutually exclusive things.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

So we fans do nothing?  Just take it?  Just throw up our hands and live with the embarrassment?

What you are saying about collateral damage might be true on some level.  But public pressure with our dollars is all we have at this point.  I intend to continue using what little leverage I have to express my displeasure with this hiring and the mess JR is forcing on the org, employees, and fans.  

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Again if Jerry is more worried about the guilty than the innocent, he is the one who will need to answer for that.  That is HIS problem.

So you’re ok with innocent Sox employees potentially losing their jobs as long as La Russa loses his?  And the reality is if your efforts to get sponsorship pulled, the former is what will likely happen and not the latter.  This is the problem with cancel culture, you have one goal in mind and don’t care how it impacts anyone else.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

OK. So it's not about the danger to society that the employee caused but the position within the company? From a business risk standpoint I agree. It's a bad business decision. 

But you've lead us to giving a free pass to hire people who have a DUI as long as there are lots of other people who can also do the job. But if there are fewer people who can do the job and fewer openings, that's a problem. I don't think we believe that do we?

It isn’t uncommon for people who require driving for a job that have a dui to be disqualified... A waiter isn’t a risk while working and a major league manager isn’t as well.

This isn’t about public safety, it is about job qualifications in the present circumstance and the scarcity of a position.

There aren’t only 30 waiter jobs.

Bottom line, his actions should warrant him not having this job.

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 1

So you’re ok with innocent Sox employees potentially losing their jobs as long as La Russa loses his?  And the reality is if your efforts to get sponsorship pulled, the former is what will likely happen and not the latter.  This is the problem with cancel culture, you have one goal in mind and don’t care how it impacts anyone else.

Bullshit. 

By this logic, none of us should have any moral compass in life because down the road it could hurt someone who depends on that income.  It is easier to label things as "cancel culture" than to actually take a stand and some action.  What you are literally telling me is that you are literally OK with the result of Tony LaRussa killing someone while on the White Sox watch, because a sales guy might lose his job if we don't pressure the organization to change this decision.  So your definition of innocent just ignores part of the equation but not the other.  Why are we not talking about the innocent victims of DUI here?  Do they not matter?  Why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

Just taking a late night strole through the local corn field! 

Fisk is a dickhead too. 

O

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

Fisk was an active employee of the White Sox when he committed his DUI.  His hiring was not a "second chance".  He was absolutely an active case and not punished by the Sox, and remains an employee with a statue to this day.  He has a public facing job representing the White Sox to the community.  If they didn't fire Fisk, they won't fire LaRussa.

Where do you see fisk employment history? 

Also, fisk statue was up well before his dui arrest. He was also hired 5 years before the dui and saying he is in a public facing position is laughable. I had no idea fisk "worked" for the sox today.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bullshit. 

By this logic, none of us should have any moral compass in life because down the road it could hurt someone who depends on that income.  It is easier to label things as "cancel culture" than to actually take a stand and some action.  What you are literally telling me is that you are literally OK with the result of Tony LaRussa killing someone while on the White Sox watch, because a sales guy might lose his job if we don't pressure the organization to change this decision.  So your definition of innocent just ignores part of the equation but not the other.  Why are we not talking about the innocent victims of DUI here?  Do they not matter?  Why?

So are you saying that you think Tony being fired is going to be the wake up call he needs to change?  Otherwise - I don't know that Tony being a mgr on the White Sox or retired necessarily changes what Tony is going to do behind the wheel.  I suppose you could say it is on the White Sox watch - but reality is - Tony is personally responsible for the choices he makes. 

I don't really think the Pats were personally responsible for Aaron Hernandez or the Panthers were for Rae Carruth and what they did.  Doesn't mean I have to like the TLR hire but I think some of these statements are very extreme and completely put blame on the organization when personal responsibility lies with the person.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

O

Where do you see fisk employment history? 

Also, fisk statue was up well before his dui arrest. He was also hired 5 years before the dui and saying he is in a public facing position is laughable. I had no idea fisk "worked" for the sox today.

Per Wikipedia:

"In May 2008, Fisk returned to the White Sox as a team ambassador, and a member of the team's speakers bureau"

Per the Whitesox.com https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/team/front-office  Not sure what job is MORE public facing than "Community Relations Representatives" (althought he was announced as "Team Ambassador" when hired.

"Community Relations Representatives Harold Baines, John Cangelosi, Carlton Fisk, Ken Harrelson, Bo Jackson, Ron Kittle, Carlos May, Bill Melton, Donn Pall, A.J. Pierzynski, Tim Raines, Mike Squires"

His DUI was in 2012.  I don't recall Sox fans clamoring for his termination.  

And in retrospect I probably shouldn't have mentioned the cocaine thing, that was a cheap shot.  That was before Raines played for the Sox.

Also Fisk was at Soxfest this January.

Edited by ThirdGen
forgot something